Prospect Info: Are All Marlies dead in the water with regard to call ups?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Geez, now we're complaining about who's in the press box. Exactly who is coming out of the lineup if Kapanen were to be recalled? Everybody who dresses right now has a role. Kapanen's time will come, maybe even in the playoffs as injuries happen. In meantime, Kapanen can play instead of sitting in the pressbox waiting for at least 2 of Leivo and Soshnikov to be injured.

um

leivo and soshnikov are both injured

why do you think smith is playing lol

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Though I think you could make a pretty strong argument that some of the Marlies are already better than a couple guys in the lineup I can't imagine Babcock if all people wants fresh rookies in the lineup so close to the playoffs. Right or wrong He will want guys he can "trust" even if they're less skilled.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
um

leivo and soshnikov are both injured

why do you think smith is playing lol

Did not know about Leivo's injury.

Let's cut Smith some slack. He's a marginal NHLer who never gives a partial effort and has been with the team and knows the team's schemes.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
It doesn't have to be Kapanen though. I think Leipsic in a sheltered role next to Boyle and Martin might be pretty solid. There's also Greening who showed late last season that he's a pretty decent forward. I'd easily give Greening a shot.

There are plenty of options that are better than Smith, which is the point. If Leivo and Sosh are out for more than a week, you have to call up someone. Smith isn't NHL quality.

Personally, I think Greening deserves NHL icetime.
I feel pretty bad for him actually.
If we don't crack a big whole in the forward core (for a defensive trade or something, that'll give him a chance at a spot), I hope he leaves to another team and finds a role.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Personally, I think Greening deserves NHL icetime.
I feel pretty bad for him actually.
If we don't crack a big whole in the forward core (for a defensive trade or something, that'll give him a chance at a spot), I hope he leaves to another team and finds a role.

He probably does deserve a call up but he is UFA this summer and won't be in TO next year. No point in bringing him up now, when they have players who they must decide to protect or not. I expect he will be in the NHL next year for someone. 15 goal man given a chance and I doubt Vegas will have 10 of those. Using 20-20 hindsight I doubt they thought Hyman was only good for 9 goals. Yet another guy that would have mowed his grass, but they needed to find out what they had. Even if they trade Boz and JVR that doesn't free up a spot. I would imagine Leipsic, Rychel, and Johnson are all in line to get a long look before he would. I don't mind his game but we probably know his upside and odds are a least one of these younger guys will be a more impactful player in the NHL..

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
He probably does deserve a call up but he is UFA this summer and won't be in TO next year. No point in bringing him up now, when they have players who they must decide to protect or not. I expect he will be in the NHL next year for someone. 15 goal man given a chance and I doubt Vegas will have 10 of those. Using 20-20 hindsight I doubt they thought Hyman was only good for 9 goals. Yet another guy that would have mowed his grass, but they needed to find out what they had. Even if they trade Boz and JVR that doesn't free up a spot. I would imagine Leipsic, Rychel, and Johnson are all in line to get a long look before he would. I don't mind his game but we probably know his upside and odds are a least one of these younger guys will be a more impactful player in the NHL..

I agree 100%.

It makes sense giving the chance to young guys sticking around, but I hope he does get a chance next year somewhere

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I agree 100%.

It makes sense giving the chance to young guys sticking around, but I hope he does get a chance next year somewhere

the leafs are becoming a hard team to make ..they ll be some spots open next year but that doesn't take into account any free agents or surprising European content joining the club.
but make 1 certain the minute any marlie stops working 100 % will never get called up ,the games last year meant nothing ,this year u earn your time ,the free 20 million 5 year contracts are a thing of the past .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad