Prospect Info: Are All Marlies dead in the water with regard to call ups?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The roster for the leafs leaves me wondering if even a single player gets called up as it stands now. Kapanen's injury is the only reason he hasn't seen a call up reward. Kaps is on a point per game pace in the Ahl as of this morning.

There seems to be a calm development allowance within rhe organization that i think will do little to disrupt either team. Thoughts?

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Let both teams do their thing this year. Wait until training camp next year to decide who plays where going forward.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I can't image them calling anyone up. The Leafs players have been told "we believe in you" so calling up re-enforcements flies in the face of that.
Also, the Marlies are in a battle to nail down HIA for the first round.
I don't see it happening.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Already running 9-10 rookies in the full roster. How many more can you put on it? It's not good to throw them to the wolves specially with the task of making it to playoffs.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think we will see a few including Kapanen and Dermott. Not sure how much ice time they will get but this is an important time for prospects to get a taste, and for the club to evaluate them against the particular vets they are pushing for a job. Not the real opportunity to show their game like last year unless the club implodes and goes on a losing streak.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Why call up anyone?

We have players sitting in the pressbox already.

define... players

actually outside smith... it's defense

smith isn't an NHL forward. Kapanen is. they're both in the wrong leagues.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
no point in calling kaps up to play on the 4th line.

It doesn't have to be Kapanen though. I think Leipsic in a sheltered role next to Boyle and Martin might be pretty solid. There's also Greening who showed late last season that he's a pretty decent forward. I'd easily give Greening a shot.

There are plenty of options that are better than Smith, which is the point. If Leivo and Sosh are out for more than a week, you have to call up someone. Smith isn't NHL quality.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It doesn't have to be Kapanen though. I think Leipsic in a sheltered role next to Boyle and Martin might be pretty solid. There's also Greening who showed late last season that he's a pretty decent forward. I'd easily give Greening a shot.

There are plenty of options that are better than Smith, which is the point. If Leivo and Sosh are out for more than a week, you have to call up someone. Smith isn't NHL quality.

Well, if the plan is to resign Smith for a season so that they can expose him in the expansion draft, he needs to play one more game for that to work. This is the perfect time for him to play that game. If neither Sosh or Leivo is available next game, it will be interesting to see if Smith is still considered the best option.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
It is unlikely that there will be a time this season when the Leafs have "clinched" entirely. At some point they may/will lock up a playoff position... I hope. But even then it is very likely they would still be playing for a better playoff seed. There probably won't be a game they can write off in order to play some callups from the Marlies. I think they will be playing hard, must win games right to the end, which is a very pleasant change from recent years.

I think the only call ups would be injury replacements and there would have to be a run of injuries at that. Leivo has earned the right to be the first replacement.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Well, if the plan is to resign Smith for a season so that they can expose him in the expansion draft, he needs to play one more game for that to work. This is the perfect time for him to play that game. If neither Sosh or Leivo is available next game, it will be interesting to see if Smith is still considered the best option.

Play him when we have a playoff ticket plz. I have no will or desire to watch thatguy get owned in all three zones any longer.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Already running 9-10 rookies in the full roster. How many more can you put on it? It's not good to throw them to the wolves specially with the task of making it to playoffs.

I was just reading that Nylander followed by Marner and Matthews are the three highest scoring rookies since January 1st with 32 pts, 31 and 30 respectively. Giving the rookie designation on this group has less significants the way they have all played.

Was surprised to read Zaitsev has a outside chance of breaking or tying Borja Salmings rookie scoring record for defensemen. This is no normal run of the mill rookie team. I don't thonl any of us have really grasped the significance of their accomplishments. Me included, i am just lind of in awe and watching where they will stack up at seasons end. Its already historical with regard to the Maple Leafs.

Fun fun

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Agreed. Leipsic, Freddie, Greening, hell even Lindberg, are all much better options.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think it's a no brainer that there would only be call ups due to injury and even then depending on who is injured. Kapanen makes sense if we lost a top 6 forward, Goat might make sense if we lose a C though Nylander shifting might make more sense.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Players like Kapanen aren't going to get the Yo-Yo treatment anymore. The next time you see them in the NHL, they'll be staying there. Rychel and Leipsic should also be in this grouping, to a lesser extent.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
define... players

actually outside smith... it's defense

smith isn't an NHL forward. Kapanen is. they're both in the wrong leagues.

Geez, now we're complaining about who's in the press box. Exactly who is coming out of the lineup if Kapanen were to be recalled? Everybody who dresses right now has a role. Kapanen's time will come, maybe even in the playoffs as injuries happen. In meantime, Kapanen can play instead of sitting in the pressbox waiting for at least 2 of Leivo and Soshnikov to be injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad