Confirmed with Link: Arbitration Avoided, Bratt Signs for 1 year, $5.45 million

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
this has to be a meme account at this point

what has Utica or Binghamton won, exactly...?

(Bratt is younger than Sharangovich)

I have literally no idea what you're talking about man. The Devils havent won anything recently so that means they should dump all their players in your eyes, right? Nico, Hughes, etc should all be gone?

Sorry for not being more clear. My fault.

Unlike the Devils, the AHL team (not including the Covid folly year - when a smart ass would suggest that being in the same building as the Devils rubbed off) has been far more competitive and been one of the top teams in their league.

Players that were promoted generally showed far better positional play and did not merely float except for in the offensive zone.

True, Sharangovich is older age-wise but he is in his third NHL season as opposed to his fifth.

True, it is not Bratt's fault that he did not have the opportunity to develop his game in the AHL (much like Zacha and for that matter Jack Hughes), but allowing Bratt to only play the elements of the game he chooses to play without consequence for the other areas sends a lousy message to the rest of the team.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Unlike the Devils, the AHL team (not including the Covid folly year - when a smart ass would suggest that being in the same building as the Devils rubbed off) has been far more competitive and been one of the top teams in their league.

Players that were promoted generally showed far better positional play and did not merely float except for in the offensive zone.

True, Sharangovich is older age-wise but he is in his third NHL season as opposed to his fifth.

True, it is not Bratt's fault that he did not have the opportunity to develop his game in the AHL (much like Zacha and for that matter Jack Hughes), but allowing Bratt to only play the elements of the game he chooses to play without consequence for the other areas sends a lousy message to the rest of the team.

dude Utica was real good this past year, but they flamed out in the playoffs and didnt even win a round. When they were Binghamton, there was no playoffs in 21 or 20 and they did not make it in 19 or 18...so I am really not sure what you are talking about...? Are we talking about the same AHL Team....?

and your bolded comment is quite frankly utter nonsense and baseless....my God. Like I Said the other day, it honestly SCARES me that we have fans of this team that could possibly think that. Sheesh.

To reiterate- Jesper Bratt is one the BEST play-driving wingers in the entire NHL at 5 on 5. Period. Treating him like he is some 4th line scrub is super, super weird.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

i don't think his cons outweigh his pros... sure he's never gonna win a selke, but do you have #s proving he's that bad otherwise?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
dude Utica was real good this past year, but they flamed out in the playoffs and didnt even win a round. When they were Binghamton, there was no playoffs in 21 or 20 and they did not make it in 19 or 18...so I am really not sure what you are talking about...? Are we talking about the same AHL Team....?

and your bolded comment is quite frankly utter nonsense and baseless....my God. Like I Said the other day, it honestly SCARES me that we have fans of this team that could possibly think that. Sheesh.

To reiterate- Jesper Bratt is one the BEST play-driving wingers in the entire NHL at 5 on 5. Period. Treating him like he is some 4th line scrub is super, super weird.

Again, your enthusiasm for the team is admirable. The drama is a bit much.

Nowhere did a say Jesper was a scrub. Though it is noteworthy that he is frequently overmatched playing against the top players on opposing teams.

Apparently "play driver" is the hockey version of "exit velo" for the analytics crowd.

But the bottom line is the Devils lose a heck of a lot more than their AHL affiliate. And Bratt doesn't do much to address that.

So where is the disconnect?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Nowhere did a say Jesper was a scrub. Though it is noteworthy that he is frequently overmatched playing against the top players on opposing teams.

Apparently "play driver" is the hockey version of "exit velo" for the analytics crowd.

But the bottom line is the Devils lose a heck of a lot more than their AHL affiliate. And Bratt doesn't do much to address that.

Again, baseless. You are just saying things that have no base in reality or facts. I have provided numerous facts, stats, etc about why Bratt is a borderline elite winger. In 2021-22, he was one of the best 5 on 5 PLAYERS in the entire NHL, based on numerous points of reference.

You dislike this player for some odd reason which I guess we will never understand. I don't know what Utica having one good year (and sucking before that) has to do with literally anything. You are all over the place here.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Selfish Jesper once again looking out for numero uno by getting in extremely good shape and ready to have another terrific season. 🙄

1659717462783.png

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I don't think it's fair to make a direct connection to Bratt and the team losing. Prior to last season, sure, you could argue he underachieved, but this past year he was an even player on a terrible team that had a lot go wrong. I'm struggling to blame him for the team's problems. He isn't a goalie and didn't come up with the plan to overload one side of the ice on defense leaving guys all alone in the slot. Could he be better on defense? Sure, so could just about everyone, but you are making a big leap in logic that few will follow.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Again, baseless. You are just saying things that have no base in reality or facts. I have provided numerous facts, stats, etc about why Bratt is a borderline elite winger. In 2021-22, he was one of the best 5 on 5 PLAYERS in the entire NHL, based on numerous points of reference.

You dislike this player for some odd reason which I guess we will never understand. I don't know what Utica having one good year (and sucking before that) has to do with literally anything. You are all over the place here.
I tried. What do you want me to say?

Both in the season that ended prematurely due to Covid and this past season Binghamton/Utica was one of the AHL's top teams. And inevitably the players called up played well when given opportunities.

If the organization wants you to believe they are building through youth, the players that are playing winning hockey should be rewarded and given larger role.

To do that the guys that aren't winning should be removed or have smaller roles.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Both in the season that ended prematurely due to Covid and this past season Binghamton/Utica was one of the AHL's top teams. And inevitably the players called up played well when given opportunities.

If the organization wants you to believe they are building through youth, the players that are playing winning hockey should be rewarded and given larger role.

To do that the guys that aren't winning should be removed or have smaller roles.

again, Nico, Hughes, Mercer, Sharangovich, etc have not won anything at the NHL level...so they should be removed?

Your argument is so flawed its absurd.

so Bratt is being punished because he was too good for the AHL at a young age...? I am so confused

Reactions: glenwo2

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Binghamton was not a top team in 19-20, they were barely hanging on to a playoff spot. Now they were on an enormous roll at the time and it was looking like they were going to make the playoffs, but this is a team that finished with a +7 goal differential.

Farm systems in the NHL do not work like you think they do. If you look at the Devils roster, the best players on it typically bypassed the AHL entirely (Bratt, Hischier, Hughes, Severson, Hamilton). You can't replace NHL talent with AHLers except in rare instances. And you certainly cannot do it with Bratt. You'd think the years of having the Pietilas and Lappins and whatever was down there come up after the trade deadline would make people realize this, but I guess most of those teams didn't win anything in the AHL. It doesn't matter.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
again, Nico, Hughes, Mercer, Sharangovich, etc have not won anything at the NHL level...so they should be removed?

Your argument is so flawed its absurd.

so Bratt is being punished because he was too good for the AHL at a young age...? I am so confused

In retrospect, would Dawson Mercer have benefited more playing games that mattered in the AHL or playing in NHL games that were often over by the second period?

Would love to hear how Jesper was "too good" for.the AHL while going -30 and averaging a little over 30 points a year in his first three seasons?

Oh the play driving thing.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
In retrospect, would Dawson Mercer have benefited more playing games that mattered in the AHL or playing in NHL games that were often over by the second period?

Would love to hear how Jesper was "too good" for.the AHL while going -30 and averaging a little over 30 points a year in his first three seasons?

If Dawson Mercer is good enough to play in the NHL, which he clearly is as he put up over 0.5 ppg in his 20 year old season, why should he be subjected to a lesser league? That makes no sense.

Also, using plus/minus for literally anything tells me all I need to know about this argument. Have a wonderful afternoon.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

30 points is pretty good. +/- is a worthless argument that makes your post irrelevant.

Camille the Eel

The call you make with certain gifted youngsters is whether putting them against much better pro competition is going to make them lift their game to that level. Practicing and playing against NHL competition. There’s no substitute for it if the youngster is one who’s going to jump to that level himself. I can’t even remember with Bratt but with Mercer I feel clearly his development benefited from promoting him last year.

With Bratt, injuries held him back in the 2d and maybe the 3d season. Some were freak. He’s also a guy who has worked extremely hard on improving his game. But you can argue that he was lighter when he came up and would have benefited from more physical growth years.

Mercer on the other hand stood up amazingly well physically last year.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Because, as you people insist on doing, you just count the total number of points instead of how many points per game a player is scoring, and you never look at ice time, it's just points per game. How many points? Not very many, I guess. Case closed! Bratt was 60th in the NHL in 5v5 points/60 in 2019/20, he scored at a first line rate in a third line role.

Jesper Bratt could've maybe been helped by the AHL in the second half of his rookie season when he was truly awful. Other than that, absolutely no way. He was too good.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
30 points is pretty good. +/- is a worthless argument that makes your post irrelevant.
I think saying +/- is completely worthless does it a disservice. I think it can have some rough and ready value in a limited context. To me, Bratt being even on a terrible team that was well underwater in goal differential is some indication the team did well with him on the ice. Is it as good as the fancy stats they have developed to replace it? No, but to me it is a shorthand place to start. It's no shock to me that Bratt and Nico were even and minus one while Jack was -16. It doesn't mean Jack is terrible, it's just a relative quick and dirty way to show me that Jack probably has some development to do on the give and take of the game. At his age that's perfectly appropriate. I expect that as a player matures his scoring may go down but his overall impact improves and +/- can be a small part of that. Frankly, in this instance it's an easy way to support the argument that Bratt has arrived as a top player. I'm sure the advanced stats underline that point and drive it home.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Everything else looks good, but it's weird that his forechecking stats are relatively bad. I never think of Bratt as a bad forechecker.

Maybe it's a good thing that he'll probably play with one of Palat or Mercer for most of this season, both good forecheckers who can get the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad