Confirmed with Link: Arbitration Avoided, Bratt Signs for 1 year, $5.45 million

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Not really a bad outcome. But go full panic mode if you want, please.
Can you explain the thinking here? To me, I don’t really see how this is any different than just getting awarded one-year in arbitration.

Maybe a big year from Jesper gets Fitz a little more flexible, but I don’t see how materially the negotiations next summer will be any different.

Reactions: BostonDevil

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not really a bad outcome. But go full panic mode if you want, please.
A one year deal is still awful however they came about it, it’s nice they avoided the hearing where this was the almost certain outcome anyway but now you’re stuck trying to extend him or trade him with one year left unless the Devils are out of it again this year and they flip him at the deadline

Reactions: billingtons ghost

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
curious result to all this . . . does signal some flexibility on Bratt’s part but kicks the entire issue a year further on.
Yea, as much as it sucks it could be a good thing. Can answer a lot of questions in a year. Is he as good and/or better as he was last year? Is there other guys who can step up and make it sting a bit less to lose him? Is he worth more? Couple decently bad contracts coming off the books, so we can pay him. Is the cap going to start going up a bit faster?

A lot less guess work next year (hopefully,) will be null. Could make it easier to come up with a number but also could make the number harder to swallow.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Can you explain the thinking here? To me, I don’t really see how this is any different than just getting awarded one-year in arbitration.

Maybe a big year from Jesper gets Fitz a little more flexible, but I don’t see how materially the negotiations next summer will be any different.
It’s infinitely better than a 2 or 3 year deal. He’s still an RFA after this. If he puts up another big year, there’s no more “it was a fluke” bullshit. We have money coming off the books and can actually pay him what he deserves. And if he has a down year (he won’t), then we can get him for cheaper.

There just isn’t reason to panic here. Why should Jesper have locked himself into a long term deal before the cap rises and before he’s fully established himself as an elite player?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I think people are trying to figure out if it's good or bad. Essentially it's nothing. Both team and player can't agree on what is owed, so they both decided, lets give it a year and see whos right, and then try to come together again.

He had an amazing year, after not having great years, it's not hard to see how there can be a gap in perspective. Another year will clear a lot of it up.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

It's basically just avoiding going through arbitration to get to the same place.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It’s infinitely better than a 2 or 3 year deal. He’s still an RFA after this. If he puts up another big year, there’s no more “it was a fluke” bullshit. We have money coming off the books and can actually pay him what he deserves. And if he has a down year (he won’t), then we can get him for cheaper.

There just isn’t reason to panic here. Why should Jesper have locked himself into a long term deal before the cap rises and before he’s fully established himself as an elite player?
Definitely agree it’s better than a mini-extension. I just don’t see what substantive differences are there negotiating next season. If Jesper produces though maybe Fitz is more amenable to a higher AAV. We’ll see, hope they work it out next year.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad