Movies: Aquaman

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I gotta say, this looks like a step in the right direction for DC and the DCEU. I think Momoa is charismatic as hell and can carry a movie with that. Plus they've realized they can use f***ing colour in this universe and not everything has to be the drowned out Nolanverse (which I love for Batman) void of anything but greys and blacks. Plus they seem to be embracing fun, which is what they should have done from the start... just look at Marvel. Perfectly balanced (lol) with humour, fun, seriousness and despair.

Also, the music in these trailers has been on point. Just Google'd the guy in charge. Thought it was Hans Zimmer but it's someone who works with him. DC has always gotten bangers for their themes and scores.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Big DC fan but it looks kind of boring.

Has a couple issues - Aquaman in himself is a side character, always will be. Nobody will ever consider him cool, or worth a sequel. People generally don't know his backstory or who the hell Black Manta is.

Which is why they'll spend 1.5 hours on his backstory and setting it all up.

Looks to have no light parts in what I can almost guarantee to be a 2h 20m movie. If in a trailer they chose the zinger of "I already have one of those" to nail the audience you know it's going down a real generic late 90s superhero movie route.

Maybe I'm wrong.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Big DC fan but it looks kind of boring.

Has a couple issues - Aquaman in himself is a side character, always will be. Nobody will ever consider him cool, or worth a sequel. People generally don't know his backstory or who the hell Black Manta is.

Which is why they'll spend 1.5 hours on his backstory and setting it all up.

Looks to have no light parts in what I can almost guarantee to be a 2h 20m movie. If in a trailer they chose the zinger of "I already have one of those" to nail the audience you know it's going down a real generic late 90s superhero movie route.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Aquaman has actually emerged as one of the best DC characters over the last several years. DC did a fantastic job with Aquaman in the New-52 and the Aquaman comicbook stories have been consistently great since. And this movie is heavily borrowing from those runs. Aquaman has become one of the most interesting characters for DC, and I hope this movie will show that to the masses. People don't know his backstory. They don't know Black Manta, but believe you me, assuming James Wan does a good job with the film, they will.

Aquaman's backstory is really interesting. And Black Manta is one of the best DC villains. The MCU has managed to make characters that were less popular or on par with Aquaman A-list characters, if this movie is good, Aquaman will become more popular.

I'm really excited for this. I think James Wan may have nailed it. I hope so.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Another DC bomb incoming.

The movie itself may be fine, I just dont think this character will resonate well at the box office

Reports suggest that the movie is looking like it will open well at the box-office, despite stiff competition. If it's a good movie, it will make good money.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I wont pay to see another DC movie unless it has "Wonder Woman" in the title.Will watch it when it eventually hits cable or Netflix though.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
it was not so trashy until there was came people under water who moves like they were on the ground, at that moment this piece of **** falled into pure madnes and stupidity

I was actually at a workshop this year that was run by the top casting agent in town (Aquaman was shot at the Village Roadshow studios in my town) and he said he was terrified with how this movie is going to turn out because of the water aspect and was extremely skeptical about the movements that were mimicing being underwater.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
I enjoyed it, felt (and was) long as hell though. Probably the only movie where I actually thought to myself “holy shit how long is this thing.” Overall though probably my second favourite dc movie

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I’ll probably see this because of the positive reactions so far. If it lets me down though I don’t think I’m giving DC movies another chance.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Saw the movie tonight.

It was good fun, the cinematography was truly fantastic, the fight scenes were awesome, Amber Heard is ridiculously attractive, and Jason Momoa played Aquaman brilliantly, adding quite a bit of comic relief with his one liners. He and Amber Heard had great chemistry I thought.

That said, DC continues to hold back these movies from being truly great with its stupid layout for origin stories. Constantly jumping back and forth from past to present, introducing new characters without any sort of explanation as to who they are, and using some pretty brutal transitions to go from scene to scene as well.

They've done this multiple times now and to me it simply does not work at all and it's what keeps these movies from being truly great. It's fine to start the movie off with a flashback or past scenes to help create that character development, but constantly jumping back and forth almost a full hour into the movie just ruins the rhythm. They had it right with Wonder Woman, where they told her origin story early on and then didn't do any major time hops again after that. But now with Aquaman they resorted back to the old ways.

Anyway, I thought it was good and worth the money to see it. Great comedy, solid acting, and amazing cinematography. But I cant help but think of how great this could have been if Marvel were the ones behind it for example.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It was a bit too long, but not a bad movie at all. The biggest thing that bothers me was Black Manta.

The fight in Sicily. Black Manta gets in a huge fight with Aquaman, takes a ton of damage, then takes two swinging balls of stone/concrete/whatever around his neck. Which causes the plasma laser (already shown to do serious damage to a superhero) to fire back at his face. Which in turn causes him to plummet hundreds of feet down a rock cliff, bouncing all the way, including a nasty impact at the bottom against jagged rocks, before falling in the ocean.

This human man, literally just a pirate with some tech, survived all that? Really?

Reactions: Kurtz and Neutrinos

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Saw it last night and I liked it/thought it was pretty good. Way better than the expectations I had for it. Though to be fair I’ve come to expect misery out of DC movies..save for Wonder Woman

If it had been maybe a half hour shorter I think I’d have liked it a lot more.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Saw it last night and I liked it/thought it was pretty good. Way better than the expectations I had for it. Though to be fair I’ve come to expect misery out of DC movies..save for Wonder Woman

If it had been maybe a half hour shorter I think I’d have liked it a lot more.

It must have been the suit that took the damage. Not sure how else he would have survived

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Saw the movie. Long yet enjoyable, but it doesn't make you really think and as a result felt very boring.

I liked the explanation that Arthur is this big brute who solves problems using his anger and fists and that explains why his mannerisms are the way they are, but I would've enjoyed it better with less of his unnecessary cursing. The cursing was sporadic, unnecessary, and had little effect. It felt like Aquaman had the brain of some college frat boy. Wish there was more depth to Aquaman's mind, maybe more conscious reasoning or even more brooding. It was always just "I don't want to be here," "Fine, I'll do it, "Get it over with," "I don't want to be a leader." Felt whiny with little introspection. I also didn't like the neck tattoos on Arthur. The arm and body tattoos looked great, but the neck ones and the yellow eyes made the character look overdone.

The plot was good. The execution was a bit too Michael Bay's Transformers. Too many explosions and too many lights. For example, the scene where Aquaman and Mera first enter the ocean, on their way to Atlantis, could've been better if it was a darker ride into the abyss with light here and there emerging from the nooks and crannies as they pass. Something like the drives done in Tron Legacy would work well. It would create the atmosphere that the ocean is a vast space with many unknowns. Instead, we enter the ocean and there are instantly a million colorful creatures awaiting us. Too much flavor and lack of negative space. We get a million lights when we hit civilized Atlantis either way so why not build up to it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Saw the movie. Long yet enjoyable, but it doesn't make you really think and as a result felt very boring.

I liked the explanation that Arthur is this big brute who solves problems using his anger and fists and that explains why his mannerisms are the way they are, but I would've enjoyed it better with less of his unnecessary cursing. The cursing was sporadic, unnecessary, and had little effect. It felt like Aquaman had the brain of some college frat boy. Wish there was more depth to Aquaman's mind, maybe more conscious reasoning or even more brooding. It was always just "I don't want to be here," "Fine, I'll do it, "Get it over with," "I don't want to be a leader." Felt whiny with little introspection. I also didn't like the neck tattoos on Arthur. The arm and body tattoos looked great, but the neck ones and the yellow eyes made the character look overdone.

The plot was good. The execution was a bit too Michael Bay's Transformers. Too many explosions and too many lights. For example, the scene where Aquaman and Mera first enter the ocean, on their way to Atlantis, could've been better if it was a darker ride into the abyss with light here and there emerging from the nooks and crannies as they pass. Something like the drives done in Tron Legacy would work well. It would create the atmosphere that the ocean is a vast space with many unknowns. Instead, we enter the ocean and there are instantly a million colorful creatures awaiting us. Too much flavor and lack of negative space. We get a million lights when we hit civilized Atlantis either way so why not build up to it.

Hence why people nicknamed him "Aquabro" after the trailers. But the question that I think is on many people's minds: do the capes flap underwater?

Last edited:

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
I’ve never seen a movie with this many sudden explosions. Way too many

I don’t think this movie will age well. I thought the last 3rd was better than the beginning

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad