Movies: Aquaman

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
It was a bit too long, but not a bad movie at all. The biggest thing that bothers me was Black Manta.

The fight in Sicily. Black Manta gets in a huge fight with Aquaman, takes a ton of damage, then takes two swinging balls of stone/concrete/whatever around his neck. Which causes the plasma laser (already shown to do serious damage to a superhero) to fire back at his face. Which in turn causes him to plummet hundreds of feet down a rock cliff, bouncing all the way, including a nasty impact at the bottom against jagged rocks, before falling in the ocean.

This human man, literally just a pirate with some tech, survived all that? Really?

You see that stuff in almost every superhero movie. I wouldnt think too much of it.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I enjoyed the movie. It was pretty good IMO. Visuals and fight scenes were top notch. Some dialogues were cringe worthy - comic bookish - but other than that it was pretty solid.

The director is the same guy that directed Furious 7; so I had expectations for good action sequences and it delivered.

I wish they had cast someone better for Mera. That actress looked STUPID all throughout the movie

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I haven't seen it yet, I hope this weekend, but looks like DC might have another Wonder Woman type success on their hands. Not bad $67M in NA and $500M worldwide so far.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
It’s a start in the right direction but DC still needs to get their shit together if we have any chance at beating Marvel some day

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Saw it, to long. The Soundtrack was absolutely terrible. I also thought some of the casting choices were questionable. William Dafoe, Dolph Lundgren?

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I saw the movie last weekend. I loved it. The visuals were amazing. The underwater scenes were great. The last 3rd of the film was easily the best part of the film. There were definitely some cheesy moments. The screenwriting wasn't incredible, by any means. The dialogue was average.

And while the acting wasn't spectacular, either, I thought the cast did a good job in their roles. Momoa is actually pretty good in the role. Wan did a good job keeping Momoa within his limits. The same is true for Amber Heard. Wan's ability to get the most out of actors with average acting ability is quite something.

And I actually liked Dafoe in the film. Though, I think they should have given him more to work it. Lundgren was also good in the role. I think they should have given them, including Black Manta, more screen time, instead of wasting them on a few cheesy scenes in sicily.

But I thought the entire cast did a generally good job, including Patrick Wilson. I liked him a lot as Ocean Master. That character and this franchise has a lot of potential.

With that said, the soundtrack is mostly awful. It took me out of the movie on a few occasions.

And it's amazing to me, that despite WB' many problems, the DC films still has so much potential. This movie is on track to making a billion dollars. If that happens, an Aquaman film featuring Jason Momoa will become the first DC film in this new universe to cross the billion dollar mark.

Marvel's non-Avengers films, I think, have made an average 600 million dollars at the box office and around 800 million dollars on average including Avengers films.

But DC's films have made an average of 700 million dollars at the box-office, despite the fact that only Wonder Woman and to a lesser extent, Aquaman, were well-received by critics.

Dc's films are much more competitive with Marvel's films than most people realize. Marvel has done brilliantly. They've been much better with their product than DC has. Every single of their films are well-received by critics. And they've become the standard for building a solid franchise.

Nevertheless, if DC can get their act together, it will be interesting to see what happens.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Movie was great imo. I can see why some don't like some things about it but it was a solid film. I dont mind the movie being long because it didnt really drag to much. James Wan really had a great vision for this film in which he delivered. B to B+ rating for me ! (Aquaman isnt an easy entity to pull off on the big screen)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Saw it last night, finally a good quality KORSUB version. Hmmm... Fairly entertaining but too long and some of the pacing was off or too hectic for my liking, 8+/10. Visually great, terrible soundtrack (worst cover of Africa ever, not too fond of the version of Depeche Mode's "It's no good" either). Temuera Morrison and Nicole Kidman were not believable as a couple at all. Momoa was fine for being Momoa, Heard was more enjoyable actually. Decent chemistry but I don't buy Arthur and Mera as a couple. Black Manta surviving the fall was disappointing, I was expecting someone else to rescue him instead of the FBI agent from Ant-Man & The Wasp.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Black Mantis was fantastic and deserved way more screentime/story. He is also a great villain in the comics (I only read Aquaman in the 70s/80s).
Lol that cover of Africa. How and why is that in the movie?!?
Agree with someone mentioning Nicole Kidman. She looks like a used rubber doll. She used to be so pretty.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just watched it yesterday. Very good movie, will see the 2nd one.

Also a big fan of Jason Momoa so that helped.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
And boy were you wrong.

LOL...massively wrong.

Im happy to be. No problem admitting I am wrong, but forgive me thinking DC was going to mess it up considering the colassal failures of JL and BvS

Interestingly, its domestic earnings arent so amazing but its foreign earnings are excellent.

Hopefully they can figure out the rest of DC universe because Batman is my favourite hero and Cavill's Superman is terrific.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Cavill’s Superman sucks. It’s been written terribly.

He looks the part, but the character is awful.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Pretty solid for a DC movie. Probably the best DC movie outside of maybe wonderwoman.

Would be "meh" or average by Marvel standards.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Looking forward to the 2nd movie. Jason Mamoa posted pics of the new suit he will wear as well as the orange and green one from the last movie. I think having Black Mantha as the major villain will help Aquaman 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad