OT - NO POLITICS April showers bring May flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Thanks for the photos. Those old Mercury/Gemini/Apollo crews are still my heros. The Right Stuff is still my all time favorite book and what inspired me to fly fighters for the Navy. Got a chance to meet Jim Lovell at an event a couple weeks back. I was dumbstruck. To strap your ass to a rocket and shoot yourself to the moon and back, with the computing equivalent of a pocket calculator running your spacecraft takes some serious brass cajones...

I ask my buddies this question (one of whom works for NASA) a lot, and I'll pose it here as well.....

If NASA asked you to volunteer to be the first person to take a manned spaceflight to Mars, and you had a 75% chance of getting back alive, would you do it? What if it was 50%?

For me, I'd do it without hesitation.............My wife is not a fan of that answer.

I'd pass.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I usually only grow jalapeños in our garden (when it comes to peps) and have grown habaneros before fun but this year I have 10 bell pepper plants and while it's early still they all look really healthy... I haven't tested the soil so maybe im just getting lucky and the section of the garden I planted them in happened to be ideal for them. Who knows. I'm nowhere near an expert haha
Now that I jinxed myself and it stopped raining I'm gonna grab a blue moon and go waltz around out in the garden for a bit for the nightly checkup
Love jalapeños and poblanos.

I grow a variety of peppers and throw them all into the pepper jelly at the end of the year. I’ve done habaneros/peach jelly too - that’s yummy.

Reactions: Kate08

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I grow a variety of peppers and throw them all into the pepper jelly at the end of the year. I’ve done habaneros/peach jelly too - that’s yummy.
I'm going to Peru in July. I'm definitely bringing back Aji Amarillo and Rocoto seeds (I looked it up and you're able to import them since they're not on a protected list).

Reactions: Kovi and sooshii

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Unfortunately there are few artifacts left from Mercury & Gemini. I did see Gemini 9 at the McDonnell Planetarium many years ago. I guess during the height of the space race not much thought was given to historical preservation.

That is so cool you got to meet Jim Lovell. I would have been dumbstruck too. And yes to think those missions were done with primitive computer technology. Makes what they accomplished even more incredible.

As for myself, I'd go into space in a heartbeat. And I'm about as big of a coward as you will ever encounter.
@BMC

Incredibly NASA did not save the blueprints for the Saturn V rocket. :oops:

The Mercury 7 astronauts were chosen carefully but PR was a factor - Ted Williams was considered but President Eisenhower did not want to put a national icon at risk.

John Glenn was selected because he became popular on a game show

Back in 1969 I was certain I would live to see this

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
@BMC

The Mercury 7 astronauts were chosen carefully but PR was a factor - Ted Williams was considered but President Eisenhower did not want to put a national icon at risk.

Wasn't the original plan that they were going to send Big Bird on the Challenger, but the suit wouldn't fit so they decided to send a schoolteacher instead?

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wasn't the original plan that they were going to send Big Bird on the Challenger, but the suit wouldn't fit so they decided to send a schoolteacher instead?
Sadly that is true

They also planned for Walter Cronkite to fly on the shuttle.

Challenger never should have lifted off that awful day because it was too cold and many engineers pleaded not to launch.

Columbia was even worse

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Sadly that is true

They also planned for Walter Cronkite to fly on the shuttle.

Challenger never should have lifted off that awful day because it was too cold and many engineers pleaded not to launch.

Columbia was even worse

I still get angry over both. No excuse for either incident 😡

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Space Shuttle Atlantis' open cargo bay with Canadarm extended

DAB114B0-7F55-40AC-AFE4-25ABE9D7290C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: EvilElf63

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I usually only grow jalapeños in our garden (when it comes to peps) and have grown habaneros before fun but this year I have 10 bell pepper plants and while it's early still they all look really healthy... I haven't tested the soil so maybe im just getting lucky and the section of the garden I planted them in happened to be ideal for them. Who knows. I'm nowhere near an expert haha
Now that I jinxed myself and it stopped raining I'm gonna grab a blue moon and go waltz around out in the garden for a bit for the nightly checkup

I am thinking it might be best to rotate the kinds of crops you use in the garden every year. It seems like my peppers, carrots, and asparagus don't do well every year.
My asparagus is new and struggling, but peppers are a crap shoot what I will get for a haul each year. Tomatoes do well, trying to put them in their own greenhouse so I can grow them year around.

My own veggies > store bought

...by a country mile...

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
We have tomatoes already and the zinnia's have sprouted.

Mom planted 2 jalapeno plants and 1 bell pepper plant and they seem to be ok.

Herbs are doing well as are the lettuces in her click and grow indoors.

We've had a ton of rain so we haven't needed to water too much but she gives them a soak on sunny days once early am and one in the evening.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
@BMC

I had heard about NASA not saving the Saturn V blueprints but I had no idea about Ted Williams & John Glenn. In Glenn's case it was no accident he never flew again until 1998- after his 1962 first American in orbit flight JFK basically grounded him and for the same reason Eisenhower didn't allow Williams to be selected. Glenn ended up resigning from NASA and later became US Senator from Ohio.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
We have tomatoes already and the zinnia's have sprouted.

Mom planted 2 jalapeno plants and 1 bell pepper plant and they seem to be ok.

Herbs are doing well as are the lettuces in her click and grow indoors.

We've had a ton of rain so we haven't needed to water too much but she gives them a soak on sunny days once early am and one in the evening.

My herbs are growing way too well. I have to trim them like small hedges. LOL

Reactions: Alicat

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I don't do this often, but if you're a big Star Wars fan I've written a bunch of pieces about Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+. Really happy with them. Same with my pieces on Stranger Things 4 Volume One. Been a good few weeks to have my job.

Can find all of them at these links, which will include all our coverage for both shows.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I don't do this often, but if you're a big Star Wars fan I've written a bunch of pieces about Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+. Really happy with them. Same with my pieces on Stranger Things 4 Volume One. Been a good few weeks to have my job.

Can find all of them at these links, which will include all our coverage for both shows.

I’ve never seen an episode of Stranger Things, but really liked the article.

Reactions: EverettMike

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

If you want to send me some that would be great

I will be sending to my other half to review. I anticipate he will want to connect and nerd out over some beers.

Please bring your better half and adorable child so I’m not bored during this kthx

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
looking to trade in my old tacoma.
trucks might be too pricey now.
any recommendations on bigger vehicles
are jeep patriots any good? Ive some with low miles for under 18k.
im looking for used vehicles. anything comparible to a tacoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad