OT - NO POLITICS April showers bring May flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Outside the Cave today....

....and aged cotton candy Peeps are awesome!!!

IMG_20220418_132607713.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
TheBride is a huge fan of shows like Dowton Abbey and now The Gilded Age. So we’re heading down to Newport RI this weekend. See the mansions and daffodils.
We havent been down there in decades. Staying at a B&B Inn on Thames..

Anyone have downtown restaurant recommendations? Any pubs or such with music?

Looks like we are in walking distance to most everything.

Reactions: DKH and Alicat

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Went down to eastern ma for ester celebrations, way more spring there than here in VT. Looks like 3" of snow tonight. Could have been a long ski season if we didnt have that 60 degree run in March. I did hear it was a good suggaring season so there's that alt least.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Went down to eastern ma for ester celebrations, way more spring there than here in VT. Looks like 3" of snow tonight. Could have been a long ski season if we didnt have that 60 degree run in March. I did hear it was a good suggaring season so there's that alt least.
Loon closed yesterday i believe. By the looks of their live cam they could’ve stayed up another week. They were the last resort running in the state. They also took advantage of a few cold days later in March and blasted the guns

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
TheBride is a huge fan of shows like Dowton Abbey and now The Gilded Age. So we’re heading down to Newport RI this weekend. See the mansions and daffodils.

No recommendations, just wanted to say I've been to the Breakers - one of the Vanderbilt mansions, and it is absurdly opulent. The level of luxury and glitz and ostentation puts most of the European palaces to shame. Such a confident, bold, completely shameless display of wealth in the finest tradition of Gilded Age high capitalism. Totally overdone, to modern eyes, or at least to mine, but still fascinating to see. Enjoy!!

Reactions: BMC and Gee Wally

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

The Landing is an outdoor spot with an oyster bar and live music. Big fan. Pelham East also usually has music.

Honestly, walk anywhere on Thames and you’ll hear it and can just walk in. Love Newport, super fun city.

Consider taking a drive to Fort Adams…beautiful outdoor spot. I used to run the Newport 10 miler every year and it started and ended there.

Have a blast!

Reactions: Gee Wally

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Our resident groundhog is wondering if it is six weeks past February 2nd yet! His hole is to the right of the gravel pad in front of the shed - funny story is the groundhog dug his hole there and wouldn't give up, it was a Caddy Shack type battle, so hubby finally moved the piece of wood to the left to let him keep the hole where he wanted it....lol It used to be the width of the shed. We love our critters and have had the joy of baby groundhogs several years.

1650359903258.png

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Have a wonderful time ! I have never been there but always wanted to go.

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
home project done. This in corner of our basement. its about 7'x7'x7'
20220418_194416.jpg
20220418_194405.jpg

this home made cooler will get down to 33 degrees F for the better halfs flowers.
Some foam insulation and a simple hack to a window AC. Ill be sleeping in here when its 95 and muggy.lol.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
A friend from church fighting cancer got her insurance changed by the providing company.

The new company won't pay for the post-chemo treatment patches so she is terrible sick all the time now and cant leave her house.
They found her on the floor yesterday and got her to the local hospital.
Her system went septic.

They did not have enough nurses to treat her so they sent her home.

Absolutely livid right now.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Never being a netflix fan have watched it more lately and come to find imho they have good documentaries and tv shows. Movie selection kinda meh. Some good unknown movies but major movies are meh.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Brick Alley Pub has really good food, really most pubs and restaurants are right there on Thames. Worth going to the White Horse Tavern as well. It's the oldest tavern in the country, opened in 1673

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

Enjoy! Me and the missus stayed at a B&B on Thames years ago. May be the same place. Great location, walking distance to most everything. My recommendations are probably long out of date, however . . . .

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Never being a netflix fan have watched it more lately and come to find imho they have good documentaries and tv shows. Movie selection kinda meh. Some good unknown movies but major movies are meh.
I watched the 2-part documentary on Jimmy Savile the other night. Fascinating stuff.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI

We go all the time since we're close enough, not to mention I surf fish the area at times throughout the season. There are places throughout the area that fit all kinds of budgets too. I'll PM you

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
What an evil son of a bitch. He got away with it for decades, he knew too many powerful people. Probably had the goods on them too like Epstein did.

The amazing thing is that he was basically hiding in plain sight. His completely eccentric TV/DJ personality threw a cover for what he was doing. All the quirks and little jokes and comments he made that at the time were just "Oh that Jimmy is a character" now in light of what has come out about him are hideous.

The part of the documentary I found thought-provoking was all the people who worked with him on charity endeavors and such who were struggling to reconcile all the good charitable work they saw him do with the abuse that has come to light after his death.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad