OT - NO POLITICS April showers bring May flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Went to Yellowstone a couple of years ago....be prepared for thin air....saw so many critters!!!

Yeah the altitude will be...interesting. We were in the Sierra Nevada a few days ago at nearly 10,000 feet and the thin air was definitely a shock to the system. I live basically at sea level and Australia has no mountains beyond 7,300 feet so anything proper high up is not what I'm normally used to. Was a reminder to take it easy when going to altitude so will do that in Yellowstone and be prepared to go a bit slower while we acclimatise.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Yeah the altitude will be...interesting. We were in the Sierra Nevada a few days ago at nearly 10,000 feet and the thin air was definitely a shock to the system. I live basically at sea level and Australia has no mountains beyond 7,300 feet so anything proper high up is not what I'm normally used to. Was a reminder to take it easy when going to altitude so will do that in Yellowstone and be prepared to go a bit slower while we acclimatise.
If you are doing Yellowstone, I’d recommend the Mt Washburn hike. It’s only about 6 miles round trip, but half of that is downhill. It’s a bit of an an ass-kicker, but the view from the top is worth it....

Rafting on the Gallatin River is a great day as well.. If you brought your fly rod/ reel, that’s even better.....

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
If you are doing Yellowstone, I’d recommend the Mt Washburn hike. It’s only about 6 miles round trip, but half of that is downhill. It’s a bit of an an ass-kicker, but the view from the top is worth it....

Rafting on the Gallatin River is a great day as well.. If you brought your fly rod/ reel, that’s even better.....

Thanks. Yeah we're doing the Mt Washburn hike, weather permitting. Fortunately the road to the trailhead has been recently reopened.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Make sure you have good boots. Lots of rocks on that trail....Definitely leave the sandals at home.

For sure. My wife and I are regular hikers and we have proper boots, clothing, packs etc. We did Four Mile Trail up to Glacier Point at Yosemite a couple of days ago - 9.6 miles return and over 3,200 feet in elevation gain. It was a proper slog but we got through and the views were amazing. So Washburn is definitely within our wheelhouse and it's just the extra altitude at Yellowstone that is a bit of an unknown. But we'll take it as it comes.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
For sure. My wife and I are regular hikers and we have proper boots, clothing, packs etc. We did Four Mile Trail up to Glacier Point at Yosemite a couple of days ago - 9.6 miles return and over 3,200 feet in elevation gain. It was a proper slog but we got through and the views were amazing. So Washburn is definitely within our wheelhouse and it's just the extra altitude at Yellowstone that is a bit of an unknown. But we'll take it as it comes.
If you did Glacier Point, you should be fine on Washburn. They’ve got a nice observation shack at the top with plenty of water. Hang out up there for 30 min or so and enjoy the view. You should see plenty of Bighorn Sheep on the way up, and maybe a bear or two......hopefully at a distance. Enjoy the hike!

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
These thunderstorms are very noisy out here. So. Much. Rain.

One town just west of us got almost 4 inches in 1 hour.

I may be working from a boat later this morning lol

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Are you coming to Boston ?

Unfortunately not. Just sticking to the west side of the country this time. If I recall correctly you've said before that your daughter lives in Napa, is that right? We were in the Napa Valley a couple of days ago - beautiful area. Loved the hills, and the endless vines. Had some great food too.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Unfortunately not. Just sticking to the west side of the country this time. If I recall correctly you've said before that your daughter lives in Napa, is that right? We were in the Napa Valley a couple of days ago - beautiful area. Loved the hills, and the endless vines. Had some great food too.
Yes . I met her in Seattle in March for the Bs game. I then went to her house in Napa and then she drove to San Jose, Anaheim and LA for the games.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Good News - Bad News

GOOD Crew dinner is BBQ
BAD Cooked by Delaware North
😗

1654639038574.png

• Wow