Confirmed with Link: April 2016: Flyers Sign Yale Goalie Alex Lyon to ELC

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Away from the internet for 12 hours and this happens!

Pretty bloody awesome. I did not think the Flyers had even a chance at Lyon.

Our goalie prospect pool certainly has a claim at being the NHLs best now!

Neither did I, but I'm getting used to that. Hextall runs a tight ship.

Can't argue with goalie depth.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Preparing for the expansion draft? Flyers expecting Neuvy to get snagged?

Awesome signing. This came out of left field. We were never linked to him in the recent weeks

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Should we propose a trade for him.

Seriously though, from the Yale area and he is a gem. Kid is legit and every game shows up

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Was Lyon in net that one night they were scouting a Princeton game? I don't know who they were playing? Don't remember more like it

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Do you think Hextall has an inside track signing a goalie being a former goalie himself? At 23 he might remember watching Hextall play. Hard not to be a fan of the guy. Even if not, any goalie worth his salt has seen some Hextall highlights

Or maybe he just gave him a list of our defensive prospects and he signed right then and there :naughty:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Do you think Hextall has an inside track signing a goalie being a former goalie himself? At 23 he might remember watching Hextall play. Hard not to be a fan of the guy. Even if not, any goalie worth his salt has seen some Hextall highlights

He would have been 6 the last time Hextall played a game.

You can't get too excited for these college UFA's, but I'm excited

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
But were they linked to him signing here? Over the last week I saw other teams but not the Flyers.
Linked? I'm not sure. Wasn't following close enough, but some of us were hopeful the report of Hexy scouting him was a good sign.

I suck at determining these things, but...
Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
18-21 years of age: 3 years
22-23 years of age: 2 years
24 years of age: 1 year
https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#elc

He's 23 now. Doesn't turn 24 until December. Using September 15th as the cutoff he would be considered a 23 year old next season (even though he will be 24 for most of it) no? If he doesn't burn the 1st year this year, his contract would run through the end of 2018 (which is what eliteprospects has for now: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=114768). Sound right?

Casey Nelson is a 92 born player, but his birthday is in July so he will be 24 at the start of next season. His ELC was expiring at the end of 2017 no matter what (if my interpretation is correct). If true, playing in the NHL was more icing on the cake for him more than it was a financial incentive.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm always intrigued at how they get them. I mean, what is Lyons seeing that makes him want to join this club? A chance to be the #1? Is he seeing the ridiculous D-men on the way?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Or maybe he just gave him a list of our defensive prospects and he signed right then and there :naughty:

I think Hextall, and as importantly the goalie coaches, has been building a solid reputation for developing goalies first in LA and then starting here with Stolarz.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA

you have to think that a young goalie would have to respect and maybe even be a little in awe of hexy...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm always intrigued at how they get them. I mean, what is Lyons seeing that makes him want to join this club? A chance to be the #1? Is he seeing the ridiculous D-men on the way?

Mason & Neuvirth both entering the last season of the current contracts next year. He's going to compete with Stolarz but he's got a year in age on him which could be an advantage.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He can't honestly think he can be the #1 guy with 1 year of AHL play? Plus Mason is borderline elite level. Hextall is going to sign him

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
When he looks at the whole situation it has to be appealing. Firstly the fact that Mason and Neuvirth currently haven't been extended, meaning he could possibly jump in when one of them leaves, then you also have the defensive prosoects looking to make the jump which could make him look better as a result (increasing his value and contracts). He also probably wants to sign with a team he can see contending in his prime years.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He can't honestly think he can be the #1 guy with 1 year of AHL play? Plus Mason is borderline elite level. Hextall is going to sign him

No but a backup spot should be up for grabs & is attainable which I was alluding to. He just needs to get his foot in the door at the NHL level to open opportunities for him if not here then elsewhere. That's the attraction of signing here.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I buy the backup job. Hextall isn't keeping Neuvirth. If he has another good year, some team (Edmonton) will probably offer him good money. Plus you want that back up spot to be a kid.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Linked? I'm not sure. Wasn't following close enough, but some of us were hopeful the report of Hexy scouting him was a good sign.

I suck at determining these things, but...

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#elc

He's 23 now. Doesn't turn 24 until December. Using September 15th as the cutoff he would be considered a 23 year old next season (even though he will be 24 for most of it) no? If he doesn't burn the 1st year this year, his contract would run through the end of 2018 (which is what eliteprospects has for now: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=114768). Sound right?

Casey Nelson is a 92 born player, but his birthday is in July so he will be 24 at the start of next season. His ELC was expiring at the end of 2017 no matter what (if my interpretation is correct). If true, playing in the NHL was more icing on the cake for him more than it was a financial incentive.

As far as I understand the CBA, this is correct. I've dug into a bit, but I'm certainly not an expert. I've never seen a date for age determination of any status other than 9/15.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
You all thought I was crazy but that is what I've wanted to see happen.

There are teams looking for a starting goalie and Neuvirth could fit that bill for them. A high 2nd from say Calg and I'd be happy

The only problem with Neuvirth is that he's kind of injury prone. He always suffers some sort of injury every year. That's going to hurt his value immensely. I don't know if you'd get a 2nd from Calgary. You might even be lucky to get a 3rd for him because of his injury history. With that being said, I'd rather he stay in Philadelphia until the trade deadline. By then, the Flyers should know if Stolarz is ready to become the backup and it certainly doesn't hurt that Neuvirth knows his role and plays the back up role real well, when healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad