Confirmed with Link: April 1-2 upd: Ray Emery [cleared waivers] signed for rest of regular season

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Selected quotes from Hextall:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...s-bring-veteran-goalie-ray-emery-tryout-basis

General manager Ron Hextall said a signing a goalie was a necessity because Lehigh Valley goalie Jason LaBarbera will miss the rest of the season with an injury and that he had been working on bringing in Emery "for a few days" now.

"We felt like had to have a little bit of depth," Hextall said Tuesday. "Ray happened to be available and was willing to come in on a tryout.

"This just gives us a guy in house that can be on ice, can practice and be sharp if need be."

But Hextall said the Emery signing does not affect Stolarz's position as Mason's backup.

"[Emery] is an insurance policy for the rest of the regular season given how thin we've gotten with the two injuries," Hextall said. "We truly don't have a third guy in the organization right now and two guys down with injuries.

"We were looking at who was available and who might come in and Ray made sense."

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Man , I thought that ship not only sailed but also.....

10-Frigate-356-Cayman-Brac.jpg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The only thing slower than Emery is the Oilers rebuild.

Luckily Hextall said Stolarz is the #2 with Neuvirth out and Emery is just the #3 to replace LaBarberra since he's hurt.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like LaBarbera is out for the season, so Emery is literally a warm body who is available.

But if Stolarz is staying, that's fine. I guess it's better off to make sure he doesn't get hurt, but I think Mason runs the table assuming there's something to play for in every game.

Jun 1, 2010
o2i.gif

Just in time!

Am I the only one that hated that incident? Say what you will about how it brought the team together or how they started winning after that, but it was a fighter attacking a non-fighter who didn't want to fight.

As it was happening, I turned to my wife and told her it was embarassing, and that I would have no problem with a huge suspension for it. I still feel that way.

That being said, I'm indifferent to this move. I'm surprised there isn't anyone else besides Emery though. Anyone know what he's been up to?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
He was with toronto in the ahl this year correct? how'd that go?

Agreed all around that Stolarz is next in line. i wouldn't mind if ray was in the ahl with phantoms

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
o2i.gif

Just in time!

LMAO I was there that game and the crowd erupted like we had scored an ot goal to win the game after that. Sadly that was the only bright spot on that game. Hilarious how mad washington fans were about it too. I think Emery is a good vet presence, he won't play and if things get out of hand tomorrow hopefully he can teach Mason to throw some of those haymakers for use on holtby. :popcorn::sarcasm:

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
He was with toronto in the ahl this year correct? how'd that go?

Agreed all around that Stolarz is next in line. i wouldn't mind if ray was in the ahl with phantoms

Played 3 for Ontario and 3 for Toronto. Mediocre stats.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
An late injury on game day and we may have seen hexy dress as back-up. Emery is just a warm body for that role.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Am I the only one that hated that incident? Say what you will about how it brought the team together or how they started winning after that, but it was a fighter attacking a non-fighter who didn't want to fight.

As it was happening, I turned to my wife and told her it was embarassing, and that I would have no problem with a huge suspension for it. I still feel that way.

That being said, I'm indifferent to this move. I'm surprised there isn't anyone else besides Emery though. Anyone know what he's been up to?

Same here. Except for the wife part, haha.

Throwing punches to the back of somebody's head, I mean....

PAZUZU

Jan 25, 2012
Philly 'burbs
LMAO I was there that game and the crowd erupted like we had scored an ot goal to win the game after that. Sadly that was the only bright spot on that game. Hilarious how mad washington fans were about it too. I think Emery is a good vet presence, he won't play and if things get out of hand tomorrow hopefully he can teach Mason to throw some of those haymakers for use on holtby. :popcorn::sarcasm:

I was at that game too. 2nd period might have been the worst period of Flyers hockey I have ever witnessed in person.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Thankfully this doesn't seem to be impacting Stolie's position. I really hope he gets in a game or two.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
In theory/terrible scenario -
Flyers make playoffs and Mason gets hurt too and Neuvirth is not ready yet.
and Labarabera is still injured - who would backup up Stollie?

Also who is playing in the AHL if Laberbera is done?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
In theory/terrible scenario -
Flyers make playoffs and Mason gets hurt too and Neuvirth is not ready yet.
and Labarabera is still injured - who would backup up Stollie?

Also who is playing in the AHL if Laberbera is done?

And we ride a perfect scenario where Stolie plays lights out, wins the Conn Smythe, and they make a movie about it and we all have a beer on broad street. Then we trade Mason and Neuvirth for first round picks, package those first round picks and move up to #1 and draft Matthews. Rinse, repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad