Confirmed with Link: Appleton re-signs, 3yrs, $2.16M AAV

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Oh for sure it would be a buyer beware situation to an extent. Plus it may make sense to hold on to the cap space and maybe score a 2nd or 3rd rounder for taking someone else's cap dump that is just as good...
i think it's a low enough risk ($) to give it a whirl. a contract for him at this point is what 1x1.5-2m?. at worst, if we're out of it at the TDL trade him for a draft pick. just not sure if we should be expecting ~0.5 PPG like he was ANH next to some combo of Lowry or Gus/Toninato.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
i think it's a low enough risk ($) to give it a whirl. a contract for him at this point is what 1x1.5-2m?. at worst, if we're out of it at the TDL trade him for a draft pick. just not sure if we should be expecting ~0.5 PPG like he was ANH next to some combo of Lowry or Gus/Toninato.
I'm envisioning a guy like Perreault where he isn't judged by his point totals, but by being a guy that is easy for anyone to play with. Maybe that's too high an expectation. But he seems like that type of player. Same with Puljujarvi.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And if he doesn't?

Seems like a lot of both AAV and term considering what he has done - and I have always been an Appleton fan. He'll turn 27 this season. He is probably as good as he will get.

On a related note, Chevy got through the Seattle draft for a 4th rd lick in the end. A lot lower cost than the LV draft where we were actually in a better position on paper.

If he doesn't then $2 million isn't that bad for a 25 point two way third liner that can PK.

I want to see Torgresson earn that spot.

I think he's another two years away myself.

I imagine Milano has 27-31 teams other than the Jets he'd rather sign with. But then again that's the jaded Jets fan in me talking.

I'm sure at this point he will take what he can get.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm envisioning a guy like Perreault where he isn't judged by his point totals, but by being a guy that is easy for anyone to play with. Maybe that's too high an expectation. But he seems like that type of player. Same with Puljujarvi.
yea that's possible. our bottom-6 needs more scoring i don't really care how it happens.

imo if our top-6 was outscoring the opposition heavily, i think we can get away with a bit of a lesser bottom-6, but that hasn't been the case i think.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Really happy to see Apples back for term and a nice AAV.

Of course, a Team can never have enough Gingers…

0F1B907A-03BE-463D-96D1-17C1BB0DD9B7.gif

Thanks for Posting the news @tbcwpg

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Is Ana just trying to get him for less than his QO?
If that was the game, you would think they would have signed him by now.
Looks like he would be a very good pickup for Jets.
Milano would be a pickup. I would question the very good part. There's a thread on the Ducks board dealing with players who did and didn't get qualified. Most of the discussion involves Sam Steel and Milano, and the consensus on Milano was occasionally flashy but soft and doesn't play D, and posters were happy to see him gone. There's a reason a bottom feeder team has decided two young guys simply have no place in the organization going forward. New GM Pat Verbeek has come in and evaluated the talent, and decided they have to go for the team to get better.

Now, since we are in the Appleton thread, let's contrast that with what our GM for life has done. Gone and re-acquired a meh player that even the expansion Kraken deemed worthy of dumping for a middling draft pick, and locked him up for another 3 years. This doesn't make the team better. It perpetuates a status quo that simply hasn't been good enough.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Little higher AAV than I expected, but not overly. Maybe the extra $450 000 is the cost of playing for Winnipeg, for 3 years. You have to think that he was brought back specifically the moment Copp was traded, and put into Copp's role on the top PK, so the expectations are to get Copp like performances out of him at Copp like prices, before he emerged as a potential top 6 player in 2020-21. Apple's shown some good signs here, and he meshes with Lowry well, in my opinion, so it's 2/3 of the checking line set. 3rd piece is still a question mark, and I wonder if Barron gets a look, as I do think the organization is high on him, or if there is a more skilled player headed for that role.

But I'm glad the team has a 3rd line RW to start this year, because that was a big problem last year from the beginning.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Little higher AAV than I expected, but not overly. Maybe the extra $450 000 is the cost of playing for Winnipeg, for 3 years. You have to think that he was brought back specifically the moment Copp was traded, and put into Copp's role on the top PK, so the expectations are to get Copp like performances out of him at Copp like prices, before he emerged as a potential top 6 player in 2020-21. Apple's shown some good signs here, and he meshes with Lowry well, in my opinion, so it's 2/3 of the checking line set. 3rd piece is still a question mark, and I wonder if Barron gets a look, as I do think the organization is high on him, or if there is a more skilled player headed for that role.

But I'm glad the team has a 3rd line RW to start this year, because that was a big problem last year from the beginning.

I don’t think Appleton is that Copp like. I think Copp was held down to play a role on a checking line longer than he should have been but he played it so well Maurice didn’t want to break up a good thing. We got great value for Copp under his contracts here. When he finally “got a chance” to move up he proved his game could fit in well with the scorers. Appleton is 26 years old and will be 27 in January and he didn’t succeed on a week expansion team. I think what we see is what we get. I don’t mind Appleton at all but he is a 3rd-4th line tweener that we locked up for a slight overpay IMO. I am hoping he can regain his form from his last season in Winnipeg and help out Adam on the 3rd line again this season, and he should still fit in on the PK. I do like the kid and am cheering for him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t think Appleton is that Copp like. I think Copp was held down to play a role on a checking line longer than he should have been but he played it so well Maurice didn’t want to break up a good thing. We got great value for Copp under his contracts here. When he finally “got a chance” to move up he proved his game could fit in well with the scorers. Appleton is 26 years old and will be 27 in January and he didn’t succeed on a week expansion team. I think what we see is what we get. I don’t mind Appleton at all but he is a 3rd-4th line tweener that we locked up for a slight overpay IMO. I am hoping he can regain his form from his last season in Winnipeg and help out Adam on the 3rd line again this season, and he should still fit in on the PK. I do like the kid and am cheering for him.

Correct on every point. :thumbu:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Appleton will be staples to the third line with lowry and get 25 points.

I pray bowness will play him on the fourth and get a scoring third going .

2 mil by chevy says otherwise though .

Reactions: Bigfish

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That's a real tough one for me. If you think back to 2019-20, when Little went down, Copp still didn't get promoted, at first it was Roslovic, Appleton, then Copp, then Eakin, and Copp produced 26 points for the season. At that point he hadn't broken the 30 point barrier. The next year he got promoted with Stats and Ehlers, as we waited for Dubois to arrive, and was given more PP time, and the numbers went up.

Appleton at least takes care of the PK aspect, I don't see an offensive ceiling to his game like Copp. But I remember suggesting Copp as a 2C before we traded for Stastny and Dubois, and the majority here didn't see that as a potential he had.

Appleton was an overage draft pick, who took a bit longer to get here, 2 years longer than Copp to become a full time NHLer. The 26-29 point range seems about right for him, which is where Copp was entering his 5th NHL season. Maybe there is something more, like Copp.

I am cheering for the kid too, who celebrated the summer of love with some of his other teammates. Maturity is not an issue.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's a real tough one for me. If you think back to 2019-20, when Little went down, Copp still didn't get promoted, at first it was Roslovic, Appleton, then Copp, then Eakin, and Copp produced 26 points for the season. At that point he hadn't broken the 30 point barrier. The next year he got promoted with Stats and Ehlers, as we waited for Dubois to arrive, and was given more PP time, and the numbers went up.

Appleton at least takes care of the PK aspect, I don't see an offensive ceiling to his game like Copp. But I remember suggesting Copp as a 2C before we traded for Stastny and Dubois, and the majority here didn't see that as a potential he had.

Appleton was an overage draft pick, who took a bit longer to get here, 2 years longer than Copp to become a full time NHLer. The 26-29 point range seems about right for him, which is where Copp was entering his 5th NHL season. Maybe there is something more, like Copp.

I am cheering for the kid too, who celebrated the summer of love with some of his other teammates. Maturity is not an issue.

Yea I was a fan of Appleton when we drafted him. I like it when we select smart players that are captains. I was really happy when after taking the long route Mason was able to not only break in but fill a pretty meaningful role on our 3rd line. Given his age now my ceiling expectation for Mason is that he settles into a newly engineered 3rd line and that line bounces back this season. Nothing but love for him.

Copp was an interesting study. I loved the draft pick at the time and remember how good he looked playing for team USA at the World Juniors and I proclaimed that I thought we got a guy that could turn into Bo Horvat (Before Bo fixed his skating). Copp and Lowry were an institution and I know Paul loved them together and why not. I loved going to games to watch Copp live So I could keep an eye on him behind the play and all over the ice. I was always struck by what a smart hockey player he was. I always thought there was more there offensively but the Coach didn’t want to break up a good thing. Once he finally broke through I was a bit suprised by how well he adapted and how nicely he settled him. Credit to him he really worked on his offensive game. The only small knock I had was that (excuse me my memory isn’t anywhere near as good as yours) there was a time well after Copp was a proven top six player that Paul had to throw the band back together and put him with Adam and I thought Andrew played that role with less passion than he use to. I was always pissed off that or org treated Andrew like the red headed step child at contract time and believe there would have been a more affordable medium term deal there. He could have filled in nicely at 2nd line centre to let us handle the PLD situation better. Just to be clear I didn‘t want any piece of his new contract and by the time he earned that we were years out of the running. The arb shit our org pulled on him was just so short sighted at the time and yes I called it back then.

I hope Chevy can find a really good third wheel for Adam and Mason they could use a play driver on that line (Miss you Matty P)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad