Confirmed with Link: Appleton re-signs, 3yrs, $2.16M AAV

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Bowness will like this signing for how he typically deploys his lines but this feels like too much to give to someone who does too little, to me (IMO Appleton could've been squeezed on a 1-2yr deal, but this is right in line with contract projections for a 3yr). Jets might've been desperate for a right-handed shot with term for this one.

Really not sure how much different Bowness is going to be in terms of line/roster deployment from the previous regime. Is a new system and ~vibes~ going to change that much? I have my doubts...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Bowness will like this signing for how he typically deploys his lines but this feels like too much to give to someone who does too little, to me (IMO Appleton could've been squeezed on a 1-2yr deal, but this is right in line with contract projections for a 3yr). Jets might've been desperate for a right-handed shot with term for this one.

Really not sure how much different Bowness is going to be in terms of line/roster deployment from the previous regime. Is a new system and ~vibes~ going to change that much? I have my doubts...

Yeah I don't see our third line being used any differently under Bowness. Where I hope there is some change is in the deployment of our fourth. I think we have pieces that if given enough minutes can provide some tertiary offense.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
career 25 pts/82 gp player, with a career high of 25 pts/56 gp. i think it's a fair deal? he was real good with Perreault in the CDN div year, kind of lack-luster overall away from perreault. maybe we if get another play-maker similar to Perreault we can replicate some of that year's success with him.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
$2 million for a guy that had 21 points in 68 games sucks. This contract is as bad as Lowry's at $3.25 million. Too much money for 4th liners.

Reactions: SSCBLUEJET

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
career 25 pts/82 gp player, with a career high of 25 pts/56 gp. i think it's a fair deal? he was real good with Perreault in the CDN div year, kind of lack-luster overall away from perreault. maybe we if get another play-maker similar to Perreault we can replicate some of that year's success with him.

The money is right for the lineup spot and usage he gets but i think the team is banking on him regaining his effectiveness with Lowry, and as you say that's questionable. I do think the 3rd line will be Barron-Lowry-Appleton so we'll see how it goes.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Eh, fine for a third line winger if he's more 20-21 Appleton and less 21-22 Appleton. A one year deal would have been cheaper but more expensive if he finds success this year in the long term.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The money is right for the lineup spot and usage he gets but i think the team is banking on him regaining his effectiveness with Lowry, and as you say that's questionable. I do think the 3rd line will be Barron-Lowry-Appleton so we'll see how it goes.
i dont know enough about barron to say he's a good fit or not. so i guess like you said we'll see. the third line over the past 2 years was at its best w/ Perreault who id label more of a grinding play-maker, hence why i brought him up. when he's not been there helping generate offense, we've been getting handily out-shot/chanced, as well as outscored.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
IMO, he's a straight-line skater with good speed but with below average puck handling skills. He's a good PKer. However, for 5-on-5 he needs a centre who can see the ice well and who is an excellent passer......Stastny, Perrault or someone like them. Definitely not Lowry.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and hn777

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Gotta think a guy like Milano who can drive some secondary offense and controlled zone entries might be a good fit with Lowry and Appelton.
Milano does seem like a great fit for us in that kind of role. Perreault was a not qualified RFA from Anaheim once upon a time...

I like the deal for Appleton. I think we could have squeezed him cheap on a 1 year deal for sure. But if he can take a step forward each year like Copp did, we could get some real value years 2 and 3

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Milano does seem like a great fit for us in that kind of role. Perreault was a not qualified RFA from Anaheim once upon a time...

I like the deal for Appleton. I think we could have squeezed him cheap on a 1 year deal for sure. But if he can take a step forward each year like Copp did, we could get some real value years 2 and 3

What does Milanos play /numbers look like away from zegras? I think he'd be a decent low risk add, just wary of the fit not playing next to as offensively skilled/IQ linemates

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
What does Milanos play /numbers look like away from zegras? I think he'd be a decent low risk add, just wary of the fit not playing next to as offensively skilled/IQ linemates
Apparently his game is just terrible away from the puck. So he should fit right in... 😏

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm OK with this, especially if he gets back to is 20-21 level of play.

And if he doesn't?

Seems like a lot of both AAV and term considering what he has done - and I have always been an Appleton fan. He'll turn 27 this season. He is probably as good as he will get.

On a related note, Chevy got through the Seattle draft for a 4th rd lick in the end. A lot lower cost than the LV draft where we were actually in a better position on paper.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Oh for sure it would be a buyer beware situation to an extent. Plus it may make sense to hold on to the cap space and maybe score a 2nd or 3rd rounder for taking someone else's cap dump that is just as good...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad