OT: Anything Goes 41

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
What's it like?

Didn't we have a really small one in Illinois like a decade ago or am i misremembering?
Illinois has a bunch every year. Mostly southern Illinois, down towards Missouri. And they're mostly small. I think the one you're remembering was just last year in Northern Illinois, and was like a 3.5 or something along those lines.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The cicadas are coming in full force this year. The 17 year cicadas AND the 13 year cicadas cycle is lining up for the first time in like 200 years apparently. It's going to be nuts.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The cicadas are coming in full force this year. The 17 year cicadas AND the 13 year cicadas cycle is lining up for the first time in like 200 years apparently. It's going to be nuts.
Yep. Just the 17 year ones were insane last time around. My dogs will have lots of extra protein in their diet when they pop up... lol.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
What's it like?

Didn't we have a really small one in Illinois like a decade ago or am i misremembering?
I remember my first earthquake was 07/08 while I was at SUIE outside of St. Louis.

I’ve slept through plenty out here in LA

The biggest one I’ve experienced went on for about 90 seconds, it was like my house was a boat in the ocean going up and down with the swell.

• Wow
Reactions: x Tame Impala

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Happy eclipse day. Spent the night downstate to save on some of the travel, price inflation thankfully not a thing outside the path of totality, so much shorter drive in store for today.

Reactions: QueerGirrl

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Totality Mountain Home, AR.

Attachments

• Resized_20240408_135522_1712603484072.jpeg
    Resized_20240408_135522_1712603484072.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 2

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Keep your eye out for horny infected cicadas

Once the cicadas emerge from the ground, they molt into adults, and within a week to 10 days, the fungus causes the backside of their abdomens open up. A chalky, white plug erupts out, taking over their bodies and making their genitals fall off.
"The cicada continues to participate in normal activities, like it would if it was healthy," Kasson told CBS News. "Like it tries to mate, it flies around, it walks on plants. Yet, a third of its body has been replaced by fungus. That's really kind of bizarre."
"But there's also something else unusual about it," he said. "There's this hyper-sexualized behavior. So, males for example, they'll continue to try and mate with females — unsuccessfully, because again, their back end is a fungus. But they'll also pretend to be females to get males to come to them. And that doubles the number of cicadas that an infected individual comes in contact with."

Usually, male cicadas will let out a loud humming sound to attracted female cicadas and the female will flick her wings to signal she wants to mate. But the fungus has males flicking their wings like females to attract males and in turn, infect them, Kasson says.

Nature is f***ed up sometimes

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This is the worst birthday ever

Have to take my dog in to be put to sleep in 3 hours

Her health has been going downhill in recent weeks but I was hoping I could put this off longer but this morning she is clearly in discomfort and struggling to even get up and walk. In recent weeks besides issues walking/slowing down dramatically she has struggled with her peeing/pooping and at times appears as if she doesn't know where she is (Stopping and starring as if she loses track of why she was going into a room)

She was also a dog that would always want to go out and even in late Feb would still get excited when I would go open door. But in recent weeks she barely wanted anything to do with outside and would stand aimlessly staring after going out. Also stopped waging her tail or showing joy when even my nieces/nephews came over in recent weeks.

This part of things is just awful and this will be 4th dog I will have had to put to sleep in my life. Her sister was put down because of cancer years ago

16 years is long time to have dog (Almost all my dogs and cat have had long lives),,, ugh think this is last one for me

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Her health has been going downhill in recent weeks but I was hoping I could put this off longer but this morning she is clearly in discomfort and struggling to even get up and walk. In recent weeks besides issues walking/slowing down dramatically she has struggled with her peeing/pooping and at times appears as if she doesn't know where she is (Stopping and starring as if she loses track of why she was going into a room)

She was also a dog that would always want to go out and even in late Feb would still get excited when I would go open door. But in recent weeks she barely wanted anything to do with outside and would stand aimlessly staring after going out. Also stopped waging her tail or showing joy when even my nieces/nephews came over in recent weeks.

This part of things is just awful and this will be 4th dog I will have had to put to sleep in my life. Her sister was put down because of cancer years ago

16 years is long time to have dog (Almost all my dogs and cat have had long lives),,, ugh think this is last one for me
Sorry man, losing a dog is painful, I wish they had longer lifespans.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Sorry to hear man. Always tough to have to do that.

Sorry man, losing a dog is painful, I wish they had longer lifespans.
Yeah, it's kinda shitty that one of the most loyal and loving creatures in our lives have such short lifespans. :(

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
So sorry to hear that. It's always a tough decision to make but it's good that you're doing what's best for her. Easy to hang on a little too long because it's painful for you. We've had to put down four dogs ourselves. It's never easy.

Reactions: Giovi

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sorry to hear man. Always tough to have to do that.

Yeah, it's kinda shitty that one of the most loyal and loving creatures in our lives have such short lifespans. :(

Yeah, its bullshit that dogs/cats have such limited lifespans while something as useless as a New Zealand eel can live as long as human being (Some have lived over 100 years)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Sorry to hear it my man. It’s a sad, sad, thing losing your pets.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

Sorry to hear. The last days with a pet are always hard. Don't give up on having pets though, remember the years of joy they bring.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I saw him at the airport like 6 months ago. Everyone was still going up to him like he was a huge celebrity and not a murderer. It was strange.

I was only 4 or 5 years old when the Bronco chase happened so I couldn’t appreciate how huge of a celebrity he was. He was basically one of the first football superstars right? Super-talented and successful on the field and then appearing in all sorts of things on tv and movies?

Reactions: Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad