OT: Anything Goes 38

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Three hours of snowblowing/shoveling just now. f***ing 4 feet of snow for the last 6 feet of my driveway because of the plows. That sucked ass. And it's going to need to be done again within the next hour or two.

It can stop any time now, please.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
We need some snow like crazy out here.... we did finally get a storm Friday/Saturday but with how little we’ve gotten this winter I think there were close to 20 avalanches yesterday and even more expected today.

Maybe this is a dumb question - does more snow = less avalanches? Or am I reading this wrong?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Maybe this is a dumb question - does more snow = less avalanches? Or am I reading this wrong?

Short answer: more snow = less risk of avalanches.

Long answer - it snowed about a week ago but then warmed up and that turned to ice. Then we got 30+ inches of snow on top of that ice and that's why there were so many. When you have more constant snow throughout the winter and it gradually builds up you have much less of an issue.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Short answer: more snow = less risk of avalanches.

Long answer - it snowed about a week ago but then warmed up and that turned to ice. Then we got 30+ inches of snow on top of that ice and that's why there were so many. When you have more constant snow throughout the winter and it gradually builds up you have much less of an issue.

Ahhhh okay. Living in Illinois my whole life, I know absolutely nothing about Avalanches other than they're terrifying lol. Thank you!

Reactions: QueerGirrl and RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Ahhhh okay. Living in Illinois my whole life, I know absolutely nothing about Avalanches other than they're terrifying lol. Thank you!

Yeah I’ve never been in one myself.... but took an avalanche course once and left being even more scared of them after the class lol.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Oh yikes! Lol. What do they even teach you?

I took a class for skiing in the backcountry, or in other words, not at resorts.

I just took the level 1 course which was 3 days worth of classes and 8 hours per day. Just goes over the basics of what to do, how to recognized avalanche terrain, stuff like that.

Some courses are more in depth and others less in depth. Depends on what you want and why you’re there really.

Then you can build on those classes with more in depth workshops and stuff.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've spent more time shoveling over the last 24 hours than sleeping. I guess that's my fault for putting up a 72x40 rink. But holy shit...

Every muscle in my body hurts right now.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My Facebook feed is filled with Chicago and Indiana friends that got utterly buried.

Meanwhile, my part of Central Illinois ended up only getting about an inch and a half of snow.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
About 3 hours Saturday night and another 2 hours Sunday afternoon. Snow was super heavy, so it pushed the ice down, and the water up. Making it even heavier. It was brutal, but the kids got a good 5 hours on the rink yesterday, so it was worth it. And now the rink is pretty much perfect.
Good shit

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
About 3 hours Saturday night and another 2 hours Sunday afternoon. Snow was super heavy, so it pushed the ice down, and the water up. Making it even heavier. It was brutal, but the kids got a good 5 hours on the rink yesterday, so it was worth it. And now the rink is pretty much perfect.
Good for you. My dad did that one winter for us and that was one of my most memorable winters as a kid. Remember my dad having to tear me and a couple of the neighbor kids of the ice every day when it was dark :laugh:

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
My Facebook feed is filled with Chicago and Indiana friends that got utterly buried.

Meanwhile, my part of Central Illinois ended up only getting about an inch and a half of snow.
Roughly 2-3 in my central part.

Neighbor still had his blower out

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Anyone in here interested in sound engineering and know any good books about the basics of it? Searching Amazon was making my eyes bleed. I don't want books about recording music. Lol.
Or I guess any youtube channels that talk about it. I've found some good ones. But I've become rather interested in this and I have a lot of time on my hands now, so I'm trying to learn more lol

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It happens every year or so, but it's always nice to work on a sale for a house in a very specific neighborhood in Mount Prospect.

I'm sure trying to give directions to a house in the neighborhood is a pain in the ass, but at least from the outside looking in I like a neighborhood with the following street names:

We Go Trail
See-Gwun Avenue
Na Wa Ta Avenue
Can-Dota Avenue
Wa Pella Avenue
Hi Lusi Avenue
I Oka Avenue
Go Wando Avenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events