Anyone understand German? (Drai interview)

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018

Is this in Edmonton and is that his house?

What do they talk about?

It´s Leons house in Edmonton...it was after a hard practice cause they lost against the sharks the day before...in the Living room are his two best friends from Germany...they are visiting him.
At the beginning they are talking about his father and the cologne Sharks and some questions from german fans...he has been asked against which players ist hardest to play and he mentioned against smart players like eg Bergeron and which player he would trade for...they are also discussing what he is doing in EDM in his free time and how the practice is in the NHL and what he likes to eat and so on...Talking About his last Season with 100 pts and 50goals and that it was something Special...there was a question regarding the Flames and he skipped it :)
They are talking about his quirks and whims and so on.

Last edited:

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Some more notes from the video:
-his favorite restaurant is Uccelino (4.7 on google :) )
-he is very close to his family. His sister, mother and father all visit him regularly and in most cases multiple times a year.
-he is very connected to his hometown Cologne. He said he wants to play as long as possible in the NHL, but he plans to play for the Cologne Sharks for "a couple of years". It is "his dream".
-follows german hockey basically every day
-says Edmonton is his 2nd home now
-says they don´t really train that much during season. They often hit the ice for only 15-30 minutes. Says in Germany they train much longer during season.
-I am a little surprised about his diet. He says nothing in the fridge is from him, it is pretty much all from his friends that are visiting him for a week. Then shows his chocholate and potato chips (09.19). If you understand german, you can tell he knows his diet is not perfect, although he tries to eat healthy. But it really sounds like he eats lots of chips and chocolate ("I eat everything (sweets and chips) that fits in my stomach").
-fav chocolate "mini egg"
-hardest opponent: Smart players like Patrice Bergeron. Doesn´t fear any of the tougher opponents.
-if he could trade one player to the Oilers: Frederik Tiffels (plays in the DEL and is a childhood friend)
-his idol was Anze Kopitar. Says it was unbelievable to sit with Kopitar in the same room at the ASG
-his friends say he can´t cook at all. "water would burn" :)
-doesn´t have really any tips for what to do in Edmonton (smiles). Suggests West Edmonton Mall... other than that "not much else to see here" :)
-Edmonton is a hockey town
-loves a german store (supermarkt) in Edmonton. (no name was given)
-says he doesn´t train at home
-says he quit hockey for a year at age 7 or 8 and played soccer. Quit soccer when he wasn´t allowed to kick a certain free-kick and went back to playing hockey
-most famous contact in his smart phone: Wayne Gretzky (they exchange messages every now and then) and Lukas Podolski (german soccer player)
-his stick is insanely flat and long. Calls his stick a "burger-flipper". take a look at: 33.04
-says he is at home a lot but likes to do things with his teammates. They all watched the Superbowl together as a group.
-McDavid is the best player in the world.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is my house, my mancave man, certain places I won't show and certainly not the basement, we're not doing basement, or bedrooms, dis is my crib.

Heres my bros, they be glued to the couch, they be in same position 18hrs later eating chips, watching TV and mooching off my digs.
They say they know Klefbom, they be swine hunds!

Das ist North American egg Chocolate, it be wurst in world. It here since 2014, never eat it, wants zum?

Interviewer: That ist der Hund candy?..der hund wouldn't eat this crap.

Das is my fridge, way more loaded than RNH's. I eat das ist much food. I der kuchen.

Buddies; you be crap cook, you can't cook shit, you listen to ABBA.

Leon: I make der Spaghetti Bolognese

Buddy: out of a can that says Chef Boyardee.

Leon: The bus comes zit 45 minutes.

Das ist Snack cupboard, Ethan Bear tell me bad, don't tell Tippett.

Buddies: That's all we eat here.

This is my doggy food kabinet. he ist bigger than Kailor Yamamoto who I hockeyslaben wit.

Das is my Oilers trophies, a bunch of pucks and one playoff participation ribbon

Interviewer: Theres nein crap here, where be Trophies?

Leon: I be Oilers

Buddies; At least Nein Calgary Flame!

Leon: Dis is burger flipper, I make burger.

Friend: You don't make crap, show him the pan with the burger stuck on..

Leon: Bus ist here in 30minutes.

Interviewer: This is burger flipper

Leon: WTF we talking about again?

interviewer: Das ist burger flipper.

Leon: we done yet, my father made it for me.

I stopped watching..

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This is my house, my mancave man, certain places I won't show and certainly not the basement, we're not doing basement, or bedrooms, dis is my crib.

Heres my bros, they be glued to the couch, they be in same position 18hrs later eating chips, watching TV and mooching off my digs.

Das ist North American egg Chocolate, it be wurst in world. It here since 2014, never eat it, wants zum?

Interviewer: That ist der Hund candy?..der hund wouldn't eat this crap.

Das is my fridge, way more loaded than RNH's. I eat das ist much food. I der kuchen.

Buddies; you be crap cook, you can't cook ****, you listen to ABBA.

Leon: I make der Spaghetti Bolognese

Buddy: out of a can that says Chef Boyardee.

Leon: The bus comes zit 45 minutes.

Das ist Snack cupboard, Ethan Bear tell me bad, don't tell Tippett.

Buddies: That's all we eat here.

This is my doggy food kabinet. he ist bigger than Kailor Yamamoto who I hockeyslaben wit.

Das is my Oilers trophies, a bunch of pucks and one playoff participation ribbon

Interviewer: Theres nein crap here, where be Trophies?

Leon: I be Oilers

Buddies; At least Nein Calgary Flame!

Leon: Dis is burger flipper, I make burger.

Friend: You don't make crap, show him the pan with the burger stuck on..

Leon: Bus ist here in 30minutes.

Interviewer: This is burger flipper

Leon: WTF we talking about again?

interviewer: Das ist burger flipper.

Leon: we done yet, my father made it for me.

I stopped watching..

Drivesaitl's best ever post! Lol!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drivesaitl's best ever post! Lol!

The hilarious thing is I knew his friends were mocking his cooking without understanding German. That gave me some material to work with.

jk aside too bad Leon doesn't know more about the city.

The German market he goes to would be KK on Whyte Avenue. But many more ethnic shops like the Italian Centers sell a lot of German products. He should try it out.

he really misses Cologne. He said when the team was there he just doesn't know what to do with his time in Edmonton, no history here. He should look into the natural history and maybe get out into the river valley here and see some nature. He seems pretty urban oriented. Too bad about his diet. (german weakness) but that doesn't start showing up on the waist until age 30 when it becomes a huge (excuse pun) problem. Hope he goes on the Ethan Bear diet by then..

Leon should hit up more Winter festivals and things to do in Edmonton. I saw Kassian at Glow festival. That's on every year. Also Flying Canoe festival, Deepfreeze, and Silver Skate festival going on right now. All beautiful things to see. Hotel Mac also had a huge Gingerbread house. The size of a small house.

lol that Leon said in NHL they don't train much at all during season.

Last edited:

Rusoilers

Дмитрий Самуроков 38
Oct 9, 2019
Siberia
Some more notes from the video:
-his favorite restaurant is Uccelino (4.7 on google :) )
-he is very close to his family. His sister, mother and father all visit him regularly and in most cases multiple times a year.
-he is very connected to his hometown Cologne. He said he wants to play as long as possible in the NHL, but he plans to play for the Cologne Sharks for "a couple of years". It is "his dream".
-follows german hockey basically every day
-says Edmonton is his 2nd home now
-says they don´t really train that much during season. They often hit the ice for only 15-30 minutes. Says in Germany they train much longer during season.
-I am a little surprised about his diet. He says nothing in the fridge is from him, it is pretty much all from his friends that are visiting him for a week. Then shows his chocholate and potato chips (09.19). If you understand german, you can tell he knows his diet is not perfect, although he tries to eat healthy. But it really sounds like he eats lots of chips and chocolate ("I eat everything (sweets and chips) that fits in my stomach").
-fav chocolate "mini egg"
-hardest opponent: Smart players like Patrice Bergeron. Doesn´t fear any of the tougher opponents.
-if he could trade one player to the Oilers: Frederik Tiffels (plays in the DEL and is a childhood friend)
-his idol was Anze Kopitar. Says it was unbelievable to sit with Kopitar in the same room at the ASG
-his friends say he can´t cook at all. "water would burn" :)
-doesn´t have really any tips for what to do in Edmonton (smiles). Suggests West Edmonton Mall... other than that "not much else to see here" :)
-Edmonton is a hockey town
-loves a german store (supermarkt) in Edmonton. (no name was given)
-says he doesn´t train at home
-says he quit hockey for a year at age 7 or 8 and played soccer. Quit soccer when he wasn´t allowed to kick a certain free-kick and went back to playing hockey
-most famous contact in his smart phone: Wayne Gretzky (they exchange messages every now and then) and Lukas Podolski (german soccer player)
-his stick is insanely flat and long. Calls his stick a "burger-flipper". take a look at: 33.04
-says he is at home a lot but likes to do things with his teammates. They all watched the Superbowl together as a group.
-McDavid is the best player in the world.

Das ist sehr gut. Dankë sohn mein freunde.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Das ist sehr gut. Dankë sohn mein freunde.

Just an fyi you said Thank son my friend. I think the word you're looking for is schon, also there is no e on the end of Freund so it would be mein Freund unless you want to make the word plural in which it would be meine Freundin. So it would be Danke schon mein Freund or Danke schon meine Freundin :thumbu:

Reactions: Rusoilers

Rusoilers

Дмитрий Самуроков 38
Oct 9, 2019
Siberia
Just an fyi you said Thank son my friend. I think the word you're looking for is schon, also there is no e on the end of Freund so it would be mein Freund unless you want to make the word plural in which it would be meine Freundin. So it would be Danke schon mein Freund or Danke schon meine Freundin :thumbu:

My bad. I can speak it in a conversation but I'm really bad at spelling lol. But thanks.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Well he was 23 when he switched over to the German side.
Money talks and Poland did not have it lol

Well i just find it funny because you can look at Klose's last name and go oh yea he's German for sure and then you find out his first name is Miroslav and go wait...is he German or not?

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Well i just find it funny because you can look at Klose's last name and go oh yea he's German for sure and then you find out his first name is Miroslav and go wait...is he German or not?
haha His dad was probably German for sure. I'm just salty that he moved to Germany and played for them instead of Poland.

Now Lukasz Podolski... How can you see that name and think he's german?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad