News Article: Anyone read this news article ?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If people are dead set on trying to be one of the two or three worst teams in the league for the '22 draft then dealing one or both of those guys for minimal immediate help would probably be necessary. I think this team is going to be better next year and this year picking top3 is going to require some lotto luck.

without some lotto luck, I think we might need to start getting an idea for how we feel about this team when we pick somewhere from 5-8 this year and 7-12 next year.

We're still a bottom 10 team next year. And that probably means another top 10 pick.
We still haven't drafted our C and LD.
And even if you draft them, there's no guarantee they get you out of the bottom 10 even when they mature.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don’t hate the idea but it seems premature. In reality, waiting a year or two for such a move would be ideal. Not sure if there would be any players worth offersheeting at that point though.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We're still a bottom 10 team next year. And that probably means another top 10 pick.
We still haven't drafted our C and LD.
And even if you draft them, there's no guarantee they get you out of the bottom 10 even when they mature.

People aren't clamoring to draft top10, though. They want to draft top5 for two more years, then a third year in the top10. Outside of lotto luck, or Yzerman intentionally tanking the team even harder, that's just unlikely.

At some point folks are going to have to let go of this idea of just sucking endlessly to draft at the top to draft all the things.

Reactions: MabusIncarnate

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
People aren't clamoring to draft top10, though. They want to draft top5 for two more years, then a third year in the top10. Outside of lotto luck, or Yzerman intentionally tanking the team even harder, that's just unlikely.

At some point folks are going to have to let go of this idea of just sucking endlessly to draft at the top to draft all the things.

Lotto luck could hurt us but their are not 5 worse NHL clubs than the DRW.

Our prospect pool at best has 2 very good maybes neither of whom will make a huge impact next year and we do not have 1 legit star in our lineup currently.

We just traded away our best, or at worse, second best offensive weapon.

Bert and Vrana are complimentary pieces, like a Palat and Kilorn.

Until we get our kucherov, point, stamkos, hedman, Sergachev and vasilvesky level players, we're going to be bad

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Lotto luck could hurt us but their are not 5 worse NHL clubs than the DRW.

Our prospect pool at best has 2 very good maybes neither of whom will make a huge impact next year and we do not have 1 legit star in our lineup currently.

We just traded away our best, or at worse, second best offensive weapon.

Bert and Vrana are complimentary pieces, like a Palat and Kilorn.

Until we get our kucherov, point, stamkos, hedman, Sergachev and vasilvesky level players, we're going to be bad

Where are we right now in the standings.

I think the quality of our guys has been understated to a certain degree, and I think the quality of other clubs has been exaggerated. This isn't to say the Wings are world beaters in any sense, but you say there aren't five worst teams than Detroit...well, right now we're picking 6th (though, to be fair, Seattle hasn't actually played). This team is getting better and we're going to start moving down the draft. Unless we get some lotto luck, Yzerman is going to have to find his impact players somewhere other than the top of the draft.

on the bright side, Kucherov, Point, and Vasi were all found in the late 1st or later. but if we're having to pull some gems from later in the draft anyway, then we shouldn't be worrying so hard about being a better team now.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Where are we right now in the standings.

I think the quality of our guys has been understated to a certain degree, and I think the quality of other clubs has been exaggerated. This isn't to say the Wings are world beaters in any sense, but you say there aren't five worst teams than Detroit...well, right now we're picking 6th (though, to be fair, Seattle hasn't actually played). This team is getting better and we're going to start moving down the draft. Unless we get some lotto luck, Yzerman is going to have to find his impact players somewhere other than the top of the draft.

on the bright side, Kucherov, Point, and Vasi were all found in the late 1st or later. but if we're having to pull some gems from later in the draft anyway, then we shouldn't be worrying so hard about being a better team now.

This is a very unusual year

I am willing to state that in a normal 82 game year we would be bottom 5.

Our "success" this year isnt based on talent and skill but rather great goaltending and limiting high quality chances against.

We dont have anyone in our lineup that is conducive to making the playoffs and competing for a cup.

Maybe we will get lucky and in fact we will have to and draft/develop a legit star outside the top 5, I hope we do.

But right now we have 0 of the key pieces in our lineup that a club needs.

Patience is what's needed most

Last edited:
Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I read it.

I wouldn't trade 4 1st round picks for one player, and his subsequent cap hit.

Way to many eggs in one basket.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Do a few mocks. You get someone you want at 7. Almost always.
You get to 10 and 12? Not so much.

Teams don't care so much about losing this year. It's a throw-away year. No fans in the stands either way.
Teams are going to be a lot less likely to allow their teams to tank next year.
Detroit will be back bottom 5.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Do a few mocks. You get someone you want at 7. Almost always.
You get to 10 and 12? Not so much.

Teams don't care so much about losing this year. It's a throw-away year. No fans in the stands either way.
Teams are going to be a lot less likely to allow their teams to tank next year.
Detroit will be back bottom 5.
Hard disagree. Fight me at the end of next season bucko when we aren't bottom 5.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Would you trade Seider, Raymond, Power and Lambert for McDavid?

YES. Seider could be very good, the other 3 are massive question marks, while McDavid is a proven high end performer. The reality is, Raymond was 4th overall so he isn't coming close to McDavid more than likely and we have no clue about the other 2. You can also acquire good pieces to go with McDavid, even without the 4 1st round picks.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
YES. Seider could be very good, the other 3 are massive question marks, while McDavid is a proven high end performer. The reality is, Raymond was 4th overall so he isn't coming close to McDavid more than likely and we have no clue about the other 2. You can also acquire good pieces to go with McDavid, even without the 4 1st round picks.
Disagreed then. A team is more than one or even two players. That’s why Edmonton isn’t going to win anything unless Holland manages some smart moves or a lot of draft luck.
A #1D, a likely top 3D, a likely top 6 winger, and a likely #1C isn’t a group of players you trade easily imo. History has proven you don’t need the best player in the world, you just need the best team.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Disagreed then. A team is more than one or even two players. That’s why Edmonton isn’t going to win anything unless Holland manages some smart moves or a lot of draft luck.
A #1D, a likely top 3D, a likely top 6 winger, and a likely #1C isn’t a group of players you trade easily imo. History has proven you don’t need the best player in the world, you just need the best team.

Edmonton management has been crap with McDavid until maybe Holland arrived. You can easily win with McDavid with proper management and his high cap hit. Not only that, but even if you finish middle of the league, the 1st round picks you give up are 16th or so at best and even worse if you do well with McDavid.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If Seider hits his potential I don’t even trade him straight up for McDavid. I prefer a #1 dman over a center.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If Seider hits his potential I don’t even trade him straight up for McDavid. I prefer a #1 dman over a center.

I agree

Cameron McDavid isn't even very good anyways, already 27 and hasn't even played hockey since his COJCHL Playoff run a decade ago

i'd much rather have Seider to be honest

The Tank

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden

If Seiders potential was that of a prime Bobby Orr I would agree. But can't see Seider in that tier so I would go with McDavid.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
my nuclear option is 28 year old landeskog to a say 5 year big coin contract .
big bodied left winger that could play on 1st line with larkin and vrana .
hes a captain , i saw him fight weber and hes tough af .
i out bid the av's taking the risk of long terming a guy that turns 29 in
november , but hes a swede whom imo are usually very conservative dedicated types
thats going to have his heart in it 100% and not become a bad contract

Reactions: evolutionbaby

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Alright, I agree with not trading Seider/Raymond/2021/2022, but this is pretty absurd.

Even if Seider is a Top 3 D-man in the league, McDavid is probably the best player this century. Yes, I'm including Crosby and Ovechkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad