News Article: Anyone read this news article ?

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I think giving up our next FOUR 1st round picks for Pettersson would be a disaster. He's good but not McDavid good.
yea i agree, that 22nd 1st is the most valuable, not sure how 23,4,5 will fare, but Pettersson is only 22, a surefire #1 C and do you believe our team improves more next season to be really a valid shot for a top 3 pick ?

If we don't get a top 3 pick next season would you wish you had Pettersson ? you have to assume that all of our current drafted players will only improve the team Raymond, Seider, Berggren, Veleno etc.

I mean what is the going rate for a 22 year old #1C that is a ppg player ?

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Screen_Shot_2021_04_22_at_10.27.59_AM.png

So we end up a bubble team, with a garbage left side D, in cap trouble and missing their next 4 1st round draft picks?
That’s going to be a no from me.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I skimmed through, and I get why it's interesting to write about scenarios like offersheeting Pettersson.

Reality is more than likely a continued slow and steady approach by Yzerman. The roster he ends up with is in my eyes not a likely candidate to make the playoffs next year, and could easily finish bottom 10 and have a shot at drafting #1 or #2OA in a very good draft. Giving up four 1st round picks for Pettersson is just not a good idea.

I think we can be a much more fun team next season, I think we can start seeing signs of what is to come and who we can build around (*cough*Seider*cough*) but we still need patience and to just dig into these 2021, 2022 drafts as hard as possible before we start thinking about end-of-rebuild type moves (which a Pettersson offersheet would be).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wanted to say $11.5m overpays Pettersson but it's just a shade over Marner's cap hit%. So, I don't think that cap hit is a crazy overpay. Can the Wings afford to lose the four 1st rounders? Maybe. Add Seider and Pettersson to this team and guys start getting slotted into their right spots, our power play starts looking better, and we start controlling the puck better. With any sort of decent luck, I think the chances of us drafting top3 next year are pretty slim, so adding a guy who should obliterate that chance doesn't really bother me.

Looking forward, I don't think a Pettersson deal hurts out cap situation, either. After next season we can just let Nielsen, Panik, dekeyser, Stecher, and Greiss walk and the only position that would desperately need addressed is goalie. We'd still have all of the kids we are currently hoping to see progress, so I'd bet a lot of those replacements would be ELC internal replacements.

It's not a move I'd be a huge backer of but I also don't think it's a move that cripples us. Trying to steal a guy like Pettersson works with this club in a lot of ways.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If Pettersen was worth that Vancouver wouldn't be garbage again this year

All we have currently are
- three 2nd line wingers
- one 2nd line center
- one 2nd pairing dman
- one hopeful 1st line winger
- one hopeful 1st pairing dman

That's it..

Everything else is either 3rd line or complete unknown

We need 2 more top 5 picks plus 1 additional top 10 plus 1 additional top 16 pick, plus an unexpected over draft expectation development, plus a top UFA signing

This guys article is rubbish

Last edited:

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
If Pettersen was with that Vancouver wouldn't be garbage again this year

All we have currently are
- three 2nd line wingers
- one 2nd line center
- one 2nd pairing dman
- one hopeful 1st line winger
- one hopeful 1st pairing dman

That's it..

Everything else is either 3rd line or complete unknown

We need 2 more top 5 picks plus 1 additional top 10 plus 1 additional top 16 pick, plus an unexpected over draft expectation development, plus a top UFA signing

This guys article is rubbish
I dont think we will pick in the top 5 again, the team is only going to improve, next year we will be lucky to pick 6th, Did you actually read all of his 4 part post ? that was just an OPTION, the very next option was to slightly tear down the team just enough to secure a top 3 in 22, but i'm assuming you just read the offer sheet part and instantly felt like shi$$ing all over it because it's something you didn't agree with.

we need 4 more top 5 picks, hell why not 8 ? but the team is only going to improve from here on out, this is probably the lowest we will turn out in the standings for awhile, next year we will have bert back and will add Seider and veleno and whatever UFA's we sign, so it will be a long shot to draft Wright or Savoie.

No need to get all worked up over just something that could be an option but not really the plan.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I dont think we will pick in the top 5 again, the team is only going to improve, next year we will be lucky to pick 7th

Oh we should

The only reason is bad lotto luck but next year
- buffalo
- Detroit
- Anaheim

Are locks to be bottom 5 with Ottawa, Columbus, LA as possibles

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't expect Steve Yzerman to do something like that. Losing four first round picks would hamstring us for a long time. Yzerman will go about building it out the right way, at least that is my expectation. This is 100% perfect for an article/blog post but NHL teams are typically not run this way.

Reactions: Reddwit and rhef3

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I don't expect Steve Yzerman to do something like that. Losing four first round picks would hamstring us for a long time. Yzerman will go about building it out the right way, at least that is my expectation. This is 100% perfect for an article/blog post but NHL teams are typically not run this way.
Yes, the chances of an offer sheet are very slim, but always nice to talk about. The Yzerplan will go slow and steady and built right, these next couple years are going to fun times to watch with the incoming rookies.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yes, the chances of an offer sheet are very slim, but always nice to talk about. The Yzerplan will go slow and steady and built right, these next couple years are going to fun times to watch with the incoming rookies.

It's been awesome to see Seider blow up over this past year. I think that is going to be a consistent under Yzerman and of course Hakan Andersson. That rarely happened under Holland over the past 15+ years. Larkin was the one case under Holland since Kronwall was drafted in 2000. For that reason alone I wouldn't do the deal; we're not going to be a Cup contender with that offer sheet and you remove Yzerman's best skill at building a Cup contender by losing your first round pick for four years.

Hard pass for me, but nothing wrong with such speculation.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
It's been awesome to see Seider blow up over this past year. I think that is going to be a consistent under Yzerman and of course Hakan Andersson. That rarely happened under Holland over the past 15+ years. Larkin was the one case under Holland since Kronwall was drafted in 2000. For that reason alone I wouldn't do the deal; we're not going to be a Cup contender with that offer sheet and you remove Yzerman's best skill at building a Cup contender by losing your first round pick for four years.

Hard pass for me, but nothing wrong with such speculation.
outside of the "nuclear option" in part 3, did you by chance get to read all 4 of his parts ? very interesting take and decisions.

Reactions: I See Blue

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
His "teardown" option is trading off bertuzzi and vrana next season to ensure a top 3 pick in the 22 draft, would fans be ok with that ?
It definitely lengthens our rebuild. I think we'll be bad enough to pick top 3 regardless of Vrana and Bert, but if we could get a good return I wouldn't be against moving them.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
His "teardown" option is trading off bertuzzi and vrana next season to ensure a top 3 pick in the 22 draft, would fans be ok with that ?
You can't just keep dealing good young players, You're only prolonging the rebuild. I'm willing to deal Bertuzzi for the right offer. But i'd rather keep Vrana and hopefully he becomes the player we wanted Mantha to be at least a 30/30 offensive LW/RW.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
It definitely lengthens our rebuild. I think we'll be bad enough to pick top 3 regardless of Vrana and Bert, but if we could get a good return I wouldn't be against moving them.
I agree with you on trading bert and keeping Vrana, I really wanna see what we have with him, but i disagree with us being bad enough for a top 3 pick, our rookies are going to progress and I could see Seider hitting the ground running which would elevate our W/L column, I think we will be outside the top 3 in the 22 draft, maybe even top 5 especially if we keep both vrana and bert.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You can't just keep dealing good young players, You're only prolonging the rebuild. I'm willing to deal Bertuzzi for the right offer. But i'd rather keep Vrana and hopefully he becomes the player we wanted Mantha to be at least a 30/30 offensive LW/RW.

If people are dead set on trying to be one of the two or three worst teams in the league for the '22 draft then dealing one or both of those guys for minimal immediate help would probably be necessary. I think this team is going to be better next year and this year picking top3 is going to require some lotto luck.

without some lotto luck, I think we might need to start getting an idea for how we feel about this team when we pick somewhere from 5-8 this year and 7-12 next year.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
you also didn't have to reply, but yet here you are :)

and the author just said it was a bold option, it's a good read, and knowing you i'm sure you already read it.

I didn't. I can already tell where the author's head is at with something as ridiculous as Detroit throwing out an offer sheet ahead of the Wright and Bedard drafts.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
this author wrote a 4 part series on how he would rebuild the team starting from offseason moves and draft moves.

The part i'm going to specially highlight here is part 3 "The Nuclear Option"

In which we Offer sheet Elias Pettersson to 7 years 70+ million
Very in depth read, would love to know your thoughts.

source = If I Was Steve Yzerman...My Approach To The 2021 Offseason (Part 3)

I take the WIIMT writers with a grain of salt. Some are OK, but for the most part they are a 2nd and 3rd hand news page with very little meaningful insight. It's an interesting read but giving up 4 first rounders that are going to likely be 15 and below for 1 player that hasn't yet had a single season above a point per game is just...dumb. With the system we play there is no way I see Pettersson scoring a ton of points for us. Like most of our players, you'd probably see his offensive ability diminished by the Wings system.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think giving up our next FOUR 1st round picks for Pettersson would be a disaster. He's good but not McDavid good.

Exactly. Vancouver has Pettersson.
Oh, and Hughes. And Boeser. And Horvat.
And they are sitting in last place in their division with two fewer points than Detroit.

I'm all for thinking out of the box and taking risks.
But that's reckless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad