News Article: Anyone read this news article ?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
my nuclear option is 28 year old landeskog to a say 5 year big coin contract .
big bodied left winger that could play on 1st line with larkin and vrana .
hes a captain , i saw him fight weber and hes tough af .
i out bid the av's taking the risk of long terming a guy that turns 29 in
november , but hes a swede whom imo are usually very conservative dedicated types
thats going to have his heart in it 100% and not become a bad contract

Lol. Sakic doesn’t even let Landeskog see the point where he can be outbid, Landeskog doesn’t choose a little extra money over the likelihood of 2-3 Cups in Colorado, and Yzerman isn’t the type of GM who overpays somebody just to get them.

So there’s three reasons that’s not happening.

Reactions: Reddwit

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If Seider hits his potential I don’t even trade him straight up for McDavid. I prefer a #1 dman over a center.

I know you meant well but this absurd.

I'd have traded lidstrom plus for McDavid that's how good the man is.

I'm not sure theirs a pro athlete today that's so much better than his/her peers than McDavid is.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I'm not sure theirs a pro athlete today that's so much better than his/her peers than McDavid is.

This isn't nearly as absurd a statement, but I wouldn't do Lidstrom for McDavid straight up, let alone with an add.

Conversation is a certain Top 5 D (Some, including me, argue #2) vs. a possible, maybe probable Top 5 forward. Where the issue lies is longevity. Lidstrom was a Top D-man right up until his last season. Hard to bet on McDavid, or anybody really, to be that good that late in their career. Even Crosby is slowly descending out of the Top 5 centers, and he's not even 35 yet.

In my eyes, it's an argument of two generational, game-breaking talents, but you can't really bet on anybody having the consistency and longevity that Lidstrom did.

Reactions: Oddbob

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

ooh, that’s a far more difficult discussion. Because Nick Lidstrom made a D pairing of him and Ian White viable. He made a pairing of him and Andreas lions viable.

I’d probably do a roughly equivalent age Lidstrom for McDavid straight up. If you’re adding anything to Lidstrom, that’s because you’re dealing him when he was in his mid 30s and the other guy is similarly talented and way younger

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
This isn't nearly as absurd a statement, but I wouldn't do Lidstrom for McDavid straight up, let alone with an add.

Conversation is a certain Top 5 D (Some, including me, argue #2) vs. a possible, maybe probable Top 5 forward. Where the issue lies is longevity. Lidstrom was a Top D-man right up until his last season. Hard to bet on McDavid, or anybody really, to be that good that late in their career. Even Crosby is slowly descending out of the Top 5 centers, and he's not even 35 yet.

In my eyes, it's an argument of two generational, game-breaking talents, but you can't really bet on anybody having the consistency and longevity that Lidstrom did.

it's also worth noting that Lidstrom was already 21 by the time he made it to the NHL at all though

at that point McDavid already had back to back Art Rosses

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
ooh, that’s a far more difficult discussion. Because Nick Lidstrom made a D pairing of him and Ian White viable. He made a pairing of him and Andreas lions viable.

I’d probably do a roughly equivalent age Lidstrom for McDavid straight up. If you’re adding anything to Lidstrom, that’s because you’re dealing him when he was in his mid 30s and the other guy is similarly talented and way younger

I think McDavid will go down as a top 5 NHL player of all-time as he is that good and transformative.

Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Lemieux
McDavid

I would add to prime Lidstrom to acquire prime McDavid

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Top 5 dmen yes

Top 5 to ever play the game.. no

Gretzky
Orr (a dman)
Howe
Lemieux
McDavid

Fair. I’ve edited my post because I don’t quite have Lidstrom top 5, but he is comfortably top 10. Considering the impact a 30 minute a game d man has I think a little decency bias is a play in this convo with respect to team building.

I personally think it’s ridiculous that Lidstrom never won a Hart. The Guy was easily this teams mvp for a decade plus.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
outside of the "nuclear option" in part 3, did you by chance get to read all 4 of his parts ? very interesting take and decisions.

I like the 4th article the best as I think it is the most likely outcome. We have a young, cheap team with some assets we can trade at the TDL. You also have to factor in Yzerman can take a bad contract in exchange for draft picks or prospects and he could sign a low-key free agent to help bolster the team. He's already done those two things, so there is reason to think he could take those actions again, particularly with a lot of teams in cap hell.

Here's some info from when Yzerman was hired to rebuild the Tampa Bay Lightning. He may have rethought some of these beliefs, but it is a good stating point for understanding what is likely to be his approach when it comes to rebuilding the Red Wings.
"This is a long-term project for me. I believe building a Stanley Cup caliber team takes time and there will be many decisions, some lengthy, that will be made over the course of time," Yzerman said.
"There is no easy fix. I don't sit up here with the notion that there is a magic wand I can wave and make changes and we're a Stanley Cup contender. I plan on making the Lightning better for the upcoming season, but the long-term goal is to make this team a perennial contender."

So the entire premise of the series "if I was Steve Yzerman" and you proceed to include the nuclear option just seems...off. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I like the 4th article the best as I think it is the most likely outcome. We have a young, cheap team with some assets we can trade at the TDL. You also have to factor in Yzerman can take a bad contract in exchange for draft picks or prospects and he could sign a low-key free agent to help bolster the team. He's already done those two things, so there is reason to think he could take those actions again, particularly with a lot of teams in cap hell.

Here's some info from when Yzerman was hired to rebuild the Tampa Bay Lightning. He may have rethought some of these beliefs, but it is a good stating point for understanding what is likely to be his approach when it comes to rebuilding the Red Wings.

So the entire premise of the series "if I was Steve Yzerman" and you proceed to include the nuclear option just seems...off. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I like that he included that nuclear option but part 4 is probably much more likely

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Fair. I’ve edited my post because I don’t quite have Lidstrom top 5, but he is comfortably top 10. Considering the impact a 30 minute a game d man has I think a little decency bias is a play in this convo with respect to team building.

I personally think it’s ridiculous that Lidstrom never won a Hart. The Guy was easily this teams mvp for a decade plus.

100% on both your points

I'd welcome either player but if I had to choose one and only one that's where my head and direction would be

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

It's pretty apparent this is still the approach, and I have no problem with it. It took him 5/6 years to turn Tampa into a perennial cup contender and he started with a franchise 1C and a franchise 1D.. He started here with complimentary pieces.. All signs are pointing to Seider having the potential to fill that franchise 1D role, outside of that , we still just have complimentary pieces and one very high end 1RW prospect.. We've got a ways to go and I don't think Yzerman is going to rush it which I'm 110% fine with. My biggest concern is that this turns into a Michigan football dilemma with Harbaugh. That's your guy, he hasn't brought in the expected results for the program, but at the end of the day, WHO else are you going to go out and get?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It's pretty apparent this is still the approach, and I have no problem with it. It took him 5/6 years to turn Tampa into a perennial cup contender and he started with a franchise 1C and a franchise 1D.. He started here with complimentary pieces.. All signs are pointing to Seider having the potential to fill that franchise 1D role, outside of that , we still just have complimentary pieces and one very high end 1RW prospect.. We've got a ways to go and I don't think Yzerman is going to rush it which I'm 110% fine with. My biggest concern is that this turns into a Michigan football dilemma with Harbaugh. That's your guy, he hasn't brought in the expected results for the program, but at the end of the day, WHO else are you going to go out and get?

I don't think Harbaugh is a good example for a couple reasons:
  1. Yzerman is doing the exacts same job in the exact same league. There is no extrapolation.
  2. Harbaugh's college success was very short-lived and was heavily dependent on having Andrew Luck as his QB. That is not easy to reproduce.
  3. The structure of the NHL compared to the structure of college football. Let's just say there is a level playing field in the NHL that does not exist in college football. I actually think you can make a case that this gives Harbaugh an advantage vis a vis most of the teams in his conference, but my main point is Yzerman has the same set of rules, tools and assets and the big diferentiator for Yzerman will be his ability to draft and develop talent. It was the single biggest fail that sent the Red Wings to the very bottom of the league.

Sure, they are both prodigal sons, but beyond that I don't think they have much if anything in common.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
You guys took my post the wrong way lol.

My take was I would rather have a #1 D over a #1 C.

Edit:

Say Seider becomes one of the best dmen in the league. I think that’s more valuable then a Center. Even if the Center is better by a good bit.

If Seider becomes a decent #1 dman I would trade him for McDavid absolutely.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I would edit this in my second post but just in case for the people that don’t see it

I am talking about like 5 years in the future where McDavid is already 30 (probably past his prime)

But I will state again. If Seider isn’t one of or the best dmen in the league and if he’s just very good I would trade him for McDavid absolutely. Even if he is past his prime.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I would edit this in my second post but just in case for the people that don’t see it

I am talking about like 5 years in the future where McDavid is already 30 (probably past his prime)

But I will state again. If Seider isn’t one of or the best dmen in the league and if he’s just very good I would trade him for McDavid absolutely. Even if he is past his prime.
Dude even if Seider is the best defenseman in the league, McDavid is still on a whole other level

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I agree. He is. What I’m really trying to think is Would you trade a Youngish Lidstrom for a 31-32 year old Gretzky?
Yes

but I get your point. Kids gonna be dynamite. We really just need a 1C and I think the rest of the pieces are gonna fall in place. Here’s to praying for wright

Reactions: SpookyTsuki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad