McKenzie: Anyone miss Bob McKenzie?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I havent read up on what youre talking about so I cant have much of an educated opinion on it

My stance is solely from the viewpoint of an NHL "insider" who routinely broke news that was actually news and not random thoughts he was having while taking a dump (i.e. Friedman, an "Insider", tweeting today about Chychrun to CBJ as a "thought running through my head")

The concussion lawsuit featured a release of emails and it included a bunch from folks like Bob that were particularly unflattering to him and while his public profile has this mystique, he is not beyond reproach.

It's also not like Bob wouldn't speculate on things. It's being made out in this thread that he never reported on what was going on that hadn't yet happened. That's not true - case in point:

He was reporting what he knew of the situation and it even wound up with the Bruins and Flames trade being reported but not actually being what happened as he was dealt to the Penguins. The volume to which someone like EF puts out his info and then others attempt to emulate is certainly an issue that detracts from EF's level of consumer confidence, but there is this idea that Bob only ever reported on things that had happened without teasing what might happen and that is revisionism. He knew a good hook to throw out there as would befit someone who had risen through print media.

Kamaya Painters

Nov 8, 2018
The guy who told me Panarin to my isles was a done deal? No f*** him and anyone who looks like him lol
No journalist has a clean record because of the simple fact that things change in instance. Anyone who's worked with rumours in sports knows this. They simply don't control what is happening. Impossible not to make a single mistake.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
No journalist has a clean record because of the simple fact that things change in instance. Anyone who's worked with rumours in sports knows this. They simply don't control what is happening. Impossible not to make a single mistake.
Bob was the best. No question.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I don't think it's insiders fault that some fans desperately comb through every word like an attorney looking for something that isn't there.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I do miss having UFA day summarized up for me in 10 tweets an hour before UFA day actually starts.

I also love it when Bob tweets the first 10 picks in the draft whilst the camera pans over the draft tables showing GMs staring blankly into space. I guess I'm just the type of person who wants dessert before dinner even starts haha

That's why i love Bob

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
The concussion lawsuit featured a release of emails and it included a bunch from folks like Bob that were particularly unflattering to him and while his public profile has this mystique, he is not beyond reproach.

It's also not like Bob wouldn't speculate on things. It's being made out in this thread that he never reported on what was going on that hadn't yet happened. That's not true - case in point:

He was reporting what he knew of the situation and it even wound up with the Bruins and Flames trade being reported but not actually being what happened as he was dealt to the Penguins. The volume to which someone like EF puts out his info and then others attempt to emulate is certainly an issue that detracts from EF's level of consumer confidence, but there is this idea that Bob only ever reported on things that had happened without teasing what might happen and that is revisionism. He knew a good hook to throw out there as would befit someone who had risen through print media.

Well that's certainly news to me regarding the concussion emails. It seems even the best of us have skeletons in our closet unfortunately.

As for the speculation, I don't think anyone would deny he didn't speculate ever (it was a large part of TSN Insider Trading segments), however the degree to which he did it and the way he did was far far less than todays Insiders where for every true breaking news/rumor, there are 30 random and baseless speculation tweets that are phrased in a way to get clicks as if it was ever more than their thoughts on the pot.

Maybe more than Bob himself, its probably more the nostalgia that Bob represents for some of us where hockey reporting and issues were simpler, or perhaps just less in the limelight (for better or for worse).

In a world where TikTok became king because Instagram videos were too long to keep the current peoples attention, it seems the demand for clicks and content has beyond saturated us to the point where we EXPECT breaking news and rumours daily- Whereas prior on these boards, there would routinely be weeks where the Trade Rumors board would not have anything beyond "Value of", "Speculation", or "Proposal" threads. We'd have full on discussions and rabbit holes when a true "Rumor" or Insider tagged thread would come up.

*gets off rocking chair on front porch, staring at the sun going down, then slowly walks into house through front screen door and heads to bed*

Last edited:

Kamaya Painters

Nov 8, 2018
I don't think it's insiders fault that some fans desperately comb through every word like an attorney looking for something that isn't there.
Not at all. The insiders do their best but it's practically impossible to be right every single time. Lots of things happen that weren't supposed to happen in sports. What I don't like about insiders is that they often go teams and agents errands but that's part and parcel of the game. Everyone uses everyone.

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It was funny how he was cut out of the last NHL draft by Sportsnet and ESPN so he spoiled the first ~15 picks on Twitter before logging off for the evening (to have some margaritas).

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Was Bob perfect? No. Nobody can get them all correct (especially considering a lot of what's rumored might be true but changes due to this not being NHL 23). With that said Bob was the best in the business and nobody's claimed that title since.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
The problem is heirs such as someone like Elliotte are just loser midwits. No rizz. All there is to it. Sources and whoever EF talks to recognize this and he doesn't get that much respect. Relationships and by extension information reflects this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad