McKenzie: Anyone miss Bob McKenzie?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I always imagined that, when McKenzie get's a trade alert in the middle of the night, he gets up, puts his suit on, slicks his hair, then announces the trade like he's on TSN, to his wife who is still sleeping. Then he goes back to bed.
On which continent does Bob McKenzie live that he'd get the alert in the middle of the night?!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Is there some AI Bob MacKenzie? Like if a trade pops up, you ask the AI if other reputable insiders are also making rumblings about said player to verify if a trade is likely legit?

Because that was basically what I recall using Bob's info for. And on occasion, he'd offer up a treat of details of the trade/contract along with the "yup". I recall many posters refusing to believe until it had Bob's verification.

I honestly wondered in the past if one of bobs insider contacts was a random forgotten dude Manning the fax machines at the league head office. He was that Damn accurate.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not been a huge fan of McKenzie but truth is, everyone currently around just is worse than him. Perhaps Friedman has the highest status now and he's just meh.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think we romanticize Bob because he's the OG and it implies a greater sense, or level, of journalistic integrity. If Bob was 20 years younger, I don't think he'd be working any differently than half the guys (that he paved the way for) are today.

Reactions: Chainshot

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Bob was well connected, knew the league better than anyone, and was a true professional.

But I think one of the things that really set him apart was the fact that he was almost always %100 sure about something before reporting it. He never had 31 stray thoughts, and rarely confirmed something as done when it wasn't.

Seeing a bunch of junk thrown at the wall is really annoying as a fan, like with the current Chychrun stuff for example. It makes it more fun if you pay less attention, because then you don't have to sift through the junk. Making it worse for the hardcore fans is a bad idea.

Bob made sure that people paying more attention got more out of following the sport. It's a subtle difference. But it is a big deal over the long run.

Reactions: wedge

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You mean the hack that said Panarin to the Isles was a done deal?
Get over it, dude. :laugh:

yeah just like bob, weekes only talks when he knows 100% what's happening

that's what was good about bob, no nonsense, no speculation. it's either yes or no. if you have a rumor you can't guarantee, you use it personally but not professionally.

that's how he got such good credibility. he just never missed.

He did plenty of speculation on his podcast.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think the bigger “issue” is the demand for content, clicks and eyeballs.

We (the collective) eat up speculation and rumour discourse. Thus companies, employee people to pump out said content, regardless of likelihood or timelines.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Yeah, he saved his ugly opinions for recommendations to league officials about supplemental discipline in private emails.

I havent read up on what youre talking about so I cant have much of an educated opinion on it

My stance is solely from the viewpoint of an NHL "insider" who routinely broke news that was actually news and not random thoughts he was having while taking a dump (i.e. Friedman, an "Insider", tweeting today about Chychrun to CBJ as a "thought running through my head")

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad