Anyone hear of expansion/merger plans for ECHL, CHL, SPHL FOR 2013-14?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
ECHL commissioner mentioned in some past interviews that Peoria and Indianapolis are on the table for 2014-15.

If I had to guess they are holding on expansion until they can pick up the remaining strong franchises in the CHL and add them to the western conference. I also think they might look at strenghthening the Atlantic Division possibly adding a place like Glens Falls when the Phantoms leave for Allentown.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
i have heard from a friend of mine thats works as a ref in the echl he was saying he was hearing that the echl was looking at washington state and nebraska . He also said that they were looking at placing antoher team in the east around PA, NJ and del

The only viable market in Washington state that doesn't already have a well-established and popular club is Tacoma. The ECHL might work there, but major junior failed there once before already, so it's dicey.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The only viable market in Washington state that doesn't already have a well-established and popular club is Tacoma. The ECHL might work there, but major junior failed there once before already, so it's dicey.

Tacoma is how many hours (by bus) from Boise? Might be an interesting combo.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

So did the WCHL. Having Boise "nearby" didn't help a lick (9 hours, some dodgy winter weather).

The Tacoma Dome should never again be mentioned in discussions such as this until they talk about downscaling and retrofitting the arena. Furthermore, they'd make that conclusion if they weren't primarily in the concert and HS championship businesses (for basketball AND football). How that plays out long term, eh?

What the ECHL really wants to do is see the WHL mucked up in the Pacific Northwest so they can pluck Spokane and maybe Everett... and if that leads to Portland, fine. I think we're too many years away from that happening to be reserving expansion slots for the PNW.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
They were talking harrisburg or the the old Hershey arena maybe even out near gettysburg like 40 miles from reading . I hope it doesnt happen thoe i dont think reading can handle another team in that area we only averaged like 3500 per game last season

I go to Reading probably a dozen times every year, didn't miss a playoff game this past year. No way a professional team could play at the old Hersheypark Arena. Ice is terrible, boards are rough. To get to the locker rooms you have to walk down 4 flights of stairs that air no more than 4 feet wide. I think a team near State College could work though including Harrisburg. Would love to see Reading-Harrisburg rivalry. I don't think there are many fans that this Harrisburg franchise would be stealing from Reading. Let's see how this pans out.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
I go to Reading probably a dozen times every year, didn't miss a playoff game this past year. No way a professional team could play at the old Hersheypark Arena. Ice is terrible, boards are rough. To get to the locker rooms you have to walk down 4 flights of stairs that air no more than 4 feet wide. I think a team near State College could work though including Harrisburg. Would love to see Reading-Harrisburg rivalry. I don't think there are many fans that this Harrisburg franchise would be stealing from Reading. Let's see how this pans out.

glad to see you make the drive to reading My family has been season ticket holders there since day on ive had them my self for this would be my fourth season i have only missed three games in those seasons im as dedicated as they come. As for a harrisburg team i would bee worried about Reading losing their affilaite then the issue would be then with the phantoms moving to allentown Pa next year and the Royals will never align with Philly they migth have some problems

arlingtonway

Jan 30, 2009
glad to see you make the drive to reading My family has been season ticket holders there since day on ive had them my self for this would be my fourth season i have only missed three games in those seasons im as dedicated as they come. As for a harrisburg team i would bee worried about Reading losing their affilaite then the issue would be then with the phantoms moving to allentown Pa next year and the Royals will never align with Philly they migth have some problems

A story that went around after the Giant Center opened up said that HERCO was in discussion with the ECHL about placing a team in the old arena, not sure how true it is, or how far it went but I would have loved it.

Jeben - theres a back entrance to the arena that they use for the Zamboni and other deliveries that opens on the ice/locker room level that being said your right the barn would need more than a fresh coat of paint to be ready for pro game use.

as to Harrisburg sadly there isnt a venue in Harrisburg (with ice) big enough to hold an ECHL level team.

spitshockey81

Jan 27, 2013
Hershey is Harrisburgs team, the two aren't even 15 miles apart. I think throwing another team in the area is a bad idea.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
as to Harrisburg sadly there isnt a venue in Harrisburg (with ice) big enough to hold an ECHL level team.

They have the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center which has had indoor football and soccer. This would be the place to put a hockey team in if it was ever going to happen.

arlingtonway

Jan 30, 2009
But neither Farm Show Arena has ice or the ability/desire to add it on a permanent basis.

Which is why i said there isnt a facility in Harrisburg with ice big enough to hold an ECHL team

arlingtonway

Jan 30, 2009
nope, just the occasional rec rink... any new team in central PA, (not playing out of Hershey Park Arena) would require a new venue to be built

Last edited:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Arenas in central PA would be Giant Center, Hersheypark Arena and Pegula Arena (Penn State) but I don't think a pro team would play in any of those besides Giant. A new arena would need to be built and I don't think someone would risk building a stadium for < 3,500 crowds.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think Baltimore could use another chance at hockey, they have the 1st Mariner Arena which I think seats 11,000 for hockey which hosted a couple AHL teams. And there has been talk of building a new arena in the area or in the same place. But I think its a big enough place that an ECHL franchise could work

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
I think Baltimore could use another chance at hockey, they have the 1st Mariner Arena which I think seats 11,000 for hockey which hosted a couple AHL teams. And there has been talk of building a new arena in the area or in the same place. But I think its a big enough place that an ECHL franchise could work

i know baltimore has a arena football team were do they play would that be big enough for a echl team

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The only arena I know of is the 1st Mariner Arena which I think seats 11,000 for hocke. It was home to a couple AHL teams in the past.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I can understand if the AHL wanted to hold off on Baltimore until development happens on the rumored new arena actually moves forward, but considering how large of a market they are it is a tad surprising that the ECHL hasn't gone after them. Especially with so many NHL and AHL teams nearby that they could try to affiliate with to draw in some visiting fans interested in seeing prospects.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
I can understand if the AHL wanted to hold off on Baltimore until development happens on the rumored new arena actually moves forward, but considering how large of a market they are it is a tad surprising that the ECHL hasn't gone after them. Especially with so many NHL and AHL teams nearby that they could try to affiliate with to draw in some visiting fans interested in seeing prospects.

Very true if not a washington affiliate then maybe a philly would fit there

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com

I would guess that, one, the number of times pro hockey has fallen flat in Baltimore has something to do with it, and two, there's no local investor or group interested in hockey.

I would agree that Baltimore should be a great market for the ECHL, or even the AHL, but who knows... :dunno:

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
I would guess that, one, the number of times pro hockey has fallen flat in Baltimore has something to do with it, and two, there's no local investor or group interested in hockey.

I would agree that Baltimore should be a great market for the ECHL, or even the AHL, but who knows... :dunno:

Very true but i think one of the biggest problems with a new team placement is the most common league problem of all witch is lack there of advertisement. I'm mean even last season reading had a huge decrease in attendance they only average about 3k a game witch isnt good when 2500 of those fans are season ticket holders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad