Anyone ever playagainst former NHLer's?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Sorry theres prolly a thread on this already so I apologize but last week my team beat a team with Jason Bonsignore playing for them so bad they had to stop counting the score...

It was weird because being a Rochester native I grew up meeting him and getting his autograph as a huge 1st rounder pegged for greatness his dad was friends with mine and I worshiped him and then here I am 25 years old and beating his team...

anyone experienced stuff like this?

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I play goalie in the summer for guys who either stay in town or come back into town early during their informal skates. Also a bunch of players that have been here in the past choose it as their home so there's normally a handful of unsigned free agents in the group as well.

It's an awesome experience, but I've found it harder to be critical of guys now that I know some of them semi-personally lol. You also realize super quick an NHL plugger is still an ultra elite talent. If the stars ever aligned just right (say Bishop/Lindback get drilled in head during warmup or game day skate and too late to recall backup) I could possibly be the emergency backup guy on the bench.

Have skates against Larry Robinson. Was about 8-9 years ago that he played on a team with his son. To line up against one of the all time greats was pretty crazy. Dude is built like a tree that can skate like he was born doing it. I was 19 at the time and a "career" highlight for me is still saucering one puck over his blade for a breakout pass lol. I used to wear a mirrored visor before I got some migraine issues sorted and he told me it was "awesome" once haha.

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Played against Dan Cleary in a ball hockey league, and Adam Pardy in a ball hockey tournament. I wasn't meant for skates :P

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
At the Mike Keane Classic last year in Winnipeg you could play with or against Eric Lindros, Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Curtis Joseph & Billy Smith.

Sony Eriksson*

Gerald Diduck plays in my league. I played with Gordie Howe when i was 15 for a Charity event.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
JP Dumont, Dan Dezcmer, Jay Moore and Stu Grimson all play in our adult league.

One summer Vern Fiddler played goal and Dan Ellis play defense.

I played on a team once with Iain Duncan.

Sony Eriksson*

JP Dumont, Dan Dezcmer, Jay Moore and Stu Grimson all play in our adult league.

One summer Vern Fiddler played goal and Dan Ellis play defense.

I played on a team once with Iain Duncan.

Was he any better at defense than he is currently in goal? :facepalm:

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
I've played with or against Bryce Salvador, Jamal Mayers, Ben Bishop, Mike McKenna, Cam Janssen, Jamie Langenbrunner, and I'm sure a few others I'm missing.

Like the one guy above said, even the pluggers in the NHL are great talents. Even Cam has a bombing wrister compared to anything I usually face.

boo10

Jan 19, 2013
Denis Savard, Doug Gilmour, Jeff O'Neil, Jason Wooley, Mike Bullard, Rob Ray, Todd Hlushko, Ryan Vandenbussche, Darryl Sittler, Todd Harvey, Mike Pelyk, Claude Lemieux, & quite a few more. If you include their pre-NHL days, then the list is too long to type.
Vandenbussche was considered a goon in his pro days, but the guy has great hands and could have been a true offensive threat had he been given the chance. Unfortunately, in the NHL you're given a job to do and you can't deviate, lest you find yourself out of the league.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Terry Ryan and Darren Langdon.

Last summer I played pickup with a kid who was picked 3rd overall in the Q draft this year. Nathan Noel. The kid was like 5-6 years younger than all of us and still made us look dumb.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
Eric Boulton was at my local rink this summer, saw him scrimmage with the camp counselors. It is unreal how good even NHL scrubs are. I have also played with/been coached by Rob O'Gara (5th round pick in 2011, Bruins) at the camps I attend. He currently plays for Yale.

mzm119

Oct 10, 2013
North Jersey
I played in an informal game with Stephane Matteau, Stephane Richer and Gilbert Dionne. Richer was by far the coolest one of the three. It was incredible to see how big and fast they still are.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i used to play pick up hockey at the toyota sports center in el segundo where the kings practice and on numerous occasions gabe gauthier and noah clarke showed up. brett sterling played once too

durrrr

Oct 14, 2013
Played minor hockey against Dwight King. Funny the hate this site has for him. He was RIDICULOUS in minor hockey.

Also have played a couple beer league games against Jamie Heward recently. He didn't really try but whenever the game got close he would decide to score and keep his team up.

Yeah, NHL players are good.

Mister Wedge

OnTheWinglesOfLove
Apr 7, 2008
San Jose
A few summers ago I played goal for a bunch of current and former Sharks. Probably the coolest thing I've ever experienced. The game is so much faster when you play against pros.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
I have played with or against:
Brian Trottier
Kevin Stevens
Syl Apps
Pierre Larouche
Ulf Samuellson
Ken Wregget
Alain Lemieux- Mario's brother
Bob Errey
Dave Burrows
Gary Rissling
The Hanson Brothers
Jean Pronovost
Duane Rupp
And many former Columbus Chill players

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I have played with or against:
Brian Trottier
Kevin Stevens
Syl Apps
Pierre Larouche
Ulf Samuellson
Ken Wregget
Alain Lemieux- Mario's brother
Bob Errey
Dave Burrows
Gary Rissling
The Hanson Brothers
Jean Pronovost
Duane Rupp
And many former Columbus Chill players

Played shinny 2 weeks ago with:

Krys Kolanos
Mark Kolanos
Adrien Foster
Chris Durno
Paul Cabana

Krys broke my One95 shinpad with a snapper, just shattered on the knee cap, and knocked off the rubber end cap

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Sorry theres prolly a thread on this already so I apologize but last week my team beat a team with Jason Bonsignore playing for them so bad they had to stop counting the score...

It was weird because being a Rochester native I grew up meeting him and getting his autograph as a huge 1st rounder pegged for greatness his dad was friends with mine and I worshiped him and then here I am 25 years old and beating his team...

anyone experienced stuff like this?

The talent gap in the NHL is larger than any other sport I've ever watched or played so I'm not surprised.

deadphish23

Feb 8, 2012
I've played with or against Bryce Salvador, Jamal Mayers, Ben Bishop, Mike McKenna, Cam Janssen, Jamie Langenbrunner, and I'm sure a few others I'm missing.

Like the one guy above said, even the pluggers in the NHL are great talents. Even Cam has a bombing wrister compared to anything I usually face.

Is this a morning skate at Kirkwood?

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Is this a morning skate at Kirkwood?

Nah, played at different times with many of them. I taught camps with Salvador, Mayers, Bishop, and McKenna. Played with or against McKenna and Janssen in juniors. Langenbrunner came to a camp I was attending.

Last edited:

bigred2point0

Jun 25, 2012
I played against Charles Sarault in a high school tournament he was playing for kingston at the time. They beat us about 10-3 he has 10 points. Our teams was full of scrubs and so were his except for him lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad