Anyone else think Engvall has a shot at the big club this year?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I don't think so. That's not a criticism, by any means. And I would unquestionably put Engvall ahead of Gauthier, who has proven he can't play the NHL game.

The real reason is simple. Most guys fighting for those 4th line jobs wouldn't get any benefit from going to the AHL. But Engvall might.

Shore is 26, he's been to the KHL for a year. It's not like he will be worth more to the Leafs if he plays in the minors this season. If he went to the AHL he would disappear.

Spezza is going for a shot at the cup in possibly his last season. No way he improves his game by going to the minors and then comes back next season stronger. If he went to the AHL he would disappear.

Petan has been a point-per-game guy in the AHL already, but struggled to keep an NHL job. He seems like one of the guys that's good in the minors, not good in the show. He doesn't need seasoning. If he went to the AHL he would disappear.

Same thing for Aberg and Agostino (25 and 27 years old, respectively). They've dominated the AHL. Now they need to become NHL regulars, or be a career spare forward. If they went to the AHL they would disappear.

But Engvall is different. He has never played in the NHL yet. He's had only 1 year of AHL, where he hasn't developed a ton of offence. Being a spare forward here would hurt him. Another year in the AHL, and he should actually get better. He does have more to learn, he can be used more. He's younger than the rest, at 23.

So why keep him up as a 4th line LW to get 9 minutes a game, and let one of the other players burn in the AHL? It doesn't make sense. Keep Agostino and Petan as a 4th liner and a spare forward, where they fit. Let Engvall ripen in the AHL.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
He's a left winger who is transitioning to be a centre. He needs big minutes in the AHL (Brooks also), at centre to determine if he NHL good.
He reminds of ex Leaf John Mitchell. He was an average AHL winger but proved to competent NHL centre for years. Yes, the Leafs management then didn't appreciate that his his best NHL position was centre despite being told by your truly.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I don't think so. That's not a criticism, by any means. And I would unquestionably put Engvall ahead of Gauthier, who has proven he can't play the NHL game.

The real reason is simple. Most guys fighting for those 4th line jobs wouldn't get any benefit from going to the AHL. But Engvall might.

Shore is 26, he's been to the KHL for a year. It's not like he will be worth more to the Leafs if he plays in the minors this season. If he went to the AHL he would disappear.

Spezza is going for a shot at the cup in possibly his last season. No way he improves his game by going to the minors and then comes back next season stronger. If he went to the AHL he would disappear.

Petan has been a point-per-game guy in the AHL already, but struggled to keep an NHL job. He seems like one of the guys that's good in the minors, not good in the show. He doesn't need seasoning. If he went to the AHL he would disappear.

Same thing for Aberg and Agostino (25 and 27 years old, respectively). They've dominated the AHL. Now they need to become NHL regulars, or be a career spare forward. If they went to the AHL they would disappear.

But Engvall is different. He has never played in the NHL yet. He's had only 1 year of AHL, where he hasn't developed a ton of offence. Being a spare forward here would hurt him. Another year in the AHL, and he should actually get better. He does have more to learn, he can be used more. He's younger than the rest, at 23.

So why keep him up as a 4th line LW to get 9 minutes a game, and let one of the other players burn in the AHL? It doesn't make sense. Keep Agostino and Petan as a 4th liner and a spare forward, where they fit. Let Engvall ripen in the AHL.

I don't think Petan skates well enough for an undersized player to compete in the NHL and he doesn't process the game at a high level. Sometimes good individual skills just don't translate. See Simon Gamache and Rob Schremp.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I don't think Petan skates well enough for an undersized player to compete in the NHL and he doesn't process the game at a high level. Sometimes good individual skills just don't translate. See Simon Gamache and Rob Schremp.
Looking at his career to date I don't see him making the roster this season. Xavier Laflamme, AHL superstar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad