Anyone else think Engvall has a shot at the big club this year?

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Good sized player with skill, has played well for the Marlies in the playoffs, maybe a shot with the big club at some point? Just have a hunch with this one, he has what it takes, is it just a matter of getting a shot? Everyone was really quiet about Dermott until he broke out, I am seeing the same potential here. Thoughts?

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
I think he can certainly make the big club. Underrated as far as I can see.

I like him and think he can become a top 6 player at some point

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
probably not, as much as I like him. I could see him making another team, but Toronto has too much forward depth

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I just know what keefe has spoken about him. Another Ahl year likely will not do him any harm. Timing doesn't look great for him right now. A good defensive center with some skill innthe future. Not sure at all but Keefe likes him. That is in his favour.

Reactions: qqaz

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Him and Marchment were my favourite Marlies forwards to watch. I really hope they camp so well it has to be given to them but I agree with Waffle above: another year with Marlies won’t hurt, and timing isn’t great with all the depth we currently have.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Marchment's style of game is something that's missing from the Leafs right now but my issue with him is his apparent lack of durability. I really wish the Leafs didn't have to trade Grundstrom, he's the type of forward the team is currently missing.

Back to Engvall, he's never going to be the type to initiate hard contact but he does seem to be using size better and not playing a perimeter skill game only now.

Reactions: Cams

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
If it was up to me, I'd put Mikheyev and Moore in the top 9 till Hyman's back, and start with a fourth line of Engvall - Spezza - Shore. Some points during the game, Kerfoot could slot in at LW, Spezza at 3C, and a fourth line of Engvall - Shore - Moore

Reactions: qqaz

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Not if he can be sent back down. The only instances when players make the jump early is when their play demands it. Eng has certainly improved but isn't beating down any doors.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Ummm, no chance out of camp ... but has size, speed a decent skillset and smarts and will be an NHL'er, dunno when though

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Don't think he makes it out of camp but if he has a strong camp he'll go a long way at being one of the first call ups mid-season

Love this guy's tools

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Marchment's style of game is something that's missing from the Leafs right now but my issue with him is his apparent lack of durability. I really wish the Leafs didn't have to trade Grundstrom, he's the type of forward the team is currently missing.

Back to Engvall, he's never going to be the type to initiate hard contact but he does seem to be using size better and not playing a perimeter skill game only now.

Yup... Grundstrom is the type of player you just don't trade because they are so rare... Leafs fans will realize it this season.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Probably has a good chance next season like a few have already said. I do however want to see Mason Marchment make it. His biggest downfall when competing with other guys however is going to be the lack of NHL experience, lack of PK ability and inability to play C. I fully expect to lose Marchment to waivers and I will miss the kid. He's going to be a pretty solid NHL player. Probably will never put up more than 5-10 goals and 15-20 points but he's a hard nosed guy with great tenacity.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He would need to score significantly more to make that happen this year. Would need PP time to make that happen.

Also depends on if he sticks at center or goes back to the wing. On the wing he would have a shot with a big year, he would need to improve a lot at center to push out some of the natural centers we have.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He will be one of the "go to" guys on the Marlies this season, along with Bracco and Brooks. He'll go back down to be that. He has a very small chance to really turn heads but at the end of the day, he'll likely start with the Marlies.

I do think he's got a very good chance to get a call up at some point and then next season to be a regular depth player.

Last edited:

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Moore Kerfoot Kapanen
Engvall Gauthier Spezza

Rielly Barrie
Muzzin Gardiner
Dermott Marincin

Andersen
Hutchison

Mikeyev, Holl

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
No, but it's not really his fault. Too many bodies.

However with Hyman and Marner out, he could have a decent shot at a shorter term stint. Especially replacing Hyman.

I don't see him being a center in the NHL. At best he'd be a borderline 4C but as a winger he could easily slot in the top 9 beside skill guys without a doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad