Anyone else Ref?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

Schlep Rock said:
Van,

As I said... you can't provide an objective viewpoint here.

And I'm sorry but I have to laugh, "Officiating has got to be one of the most difficult responsibilities an individual can take on" It sounds like we're talking about those in the armed services now!

I respect ref's and what they do is hard but one of the most difficult responsibilities an individual can take on??

That wasn't my point of view. That was the point of view of the Alberni Valley Bulldogs (BCHL) announcer.

Have you tried officiating and made it to a decent elite level?

kalehr

Dec 20, 2004
I'm interested in getting started in refereeing next year. Question for those of you who referee quite regularly: how well should you need to skate in order to referee? I'm not iterested in getting up to the elite coaching levels, I'm just interested in refereeing games with younger kids in them, maybe games that only require a level 1 or 2 certification just to start. I've only been skating for about 1 1/2 years, and I've been warned you need to have pretty good skating skills to get your level 1 certification. Not quite sure what "pretty good" means, can anybody here clarify how well I should skate before going through the level 1 certification seminar? And what do they do in the seminars? Do they test you for skating ability, like speed and agility? Thanks for any help/advice you guys can give me...

BCCHL inactive

kalehr said:
I'm interested in getting started in refereeing next year. Question for those of you who referee quite regularly: how well should you need to skate in order to referee? I'm not iterested in getting up to the elite coaching levels, I'm just interested in refereeing games with younger kids in them, maybe games that only require a level 1 or 2 certification just to start. I've only been skating for about 1 1/2 years, and I've been warned you need to have pretty good skating skills to get your level 1 certification. Not quite sure what "pretty good" means, can anybody here clarify how well I should skate before going through the level 1 certification seminar? And what do they do in the seminars? Do they test you for skating ability, like speed and agility? Thanks for any help/advice you guys can give me...

First of all, how old are you? I ask that because games in the younger divisions are usually reserved for 12-15 year-old referees (keep in mind that I speak for my own local association) who are dedicated to improving and moving up in the ranks.

If you're just looking to contribute to your local association by officiating games (please, do not be in it for just for the money), as long as you have basic skating skills, there should be no reason for you to not get games based on that.

As for skating tests, those are only conducted at the very elite officiating clinics (at least here in BC), which are attended on a recommendation only basis after you've already proven yourself at an elite level.

In short, as long as you can skate and keep up with whatever level you officiate, don't worry.

kalehr

Dec 20, 2004
Van said:
First of all, how old are you? I ask that because games in the younger divisions are usually reserved for 12-15 year-old referees (keep in mind that I speak for my own local association) who are dedicated to improving and moving up in the ranks.

If you're just looking to contribute to your local association by officiating games (please, do not be in it for just for the money), as long as you have basic skating skills, there should be no reason for you to not get games based on that.

As for skating tests, those are only conducted at the very elite officiating clinics (at least here in BC), which are attended on a recommendation only basis after you've already proven yourself at an elite level.

In short, as long as you can skate and keep up with whatever level you officiate, don't worry.

Hey, thanks a bunch for the info. I am most DEFINITELY not 12-15 years old, I much older than that. :D I started skating a little over a year ago with the intent to play hockey. Unfortunately, I had to put that on hold for awhile but still want to find a way get involved with hockey until I feel comfortable enough with my skating and stick skills to join a team. I can do the basics (skate forward, backwards, crossovers, change of direction, etc.), but I do not have much speed yet. So I thought refereeing would be a good way to get started until my skating and other hockey related skills improve enough to join a team. I did email the person who organizes the coaching seminars in my area and the way he made it sound, you really have to be a solid and somewhat speedy skater to referee, so that concerned me somewhat. All I really want to do to start is referee some of the younger kids' games, I enjoy watching those games and I'm not too interested in getting into the higher levels of certification, at least not yet, and at least not until I decide if I really like refereeing and want to stick with it for more than a year or two...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad