Anyone else just bored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
I found myself bored a lot of nights but it wasn't because of the players or lack of hitting.

Seemed like if the Wings had a 1 goal lead or even if it was tied going into the 3rd Babs would have the team completely turtle up. I found myself thinking 'oh, right, gotta get that loser point at all costs...'

The Boston series was mostly a snore too. When's Datsyuk's next shift? Maybe we'll gain the zone!

WingsInRed

May 6, 2014
Weiss and Alffie are boring players. Holland seems to like non physical old players more than anything.

Yeah it was nice to see new kids. It wasnt nice to see gudas headhunting Nyquist and no one of red wings giving a ****. Or abby, datsyuk, helm,kronwall and z cheap shotted and the same thibg again. Disgustibg and shameless

It doesnt matter where all these player come becausee Holland brings and drafts always same kind of players:. Ballsless.

Its hard to imagine how much soft players can be involved to one team

I dare you to tell that part to Mike McKee... :sarcasm:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
After the Wings lost to the Hawks, i was really excited about the upcoming season, and the youth movement finally taking over. What happened next, killed my enthusiasm for that season. Now this season is gonna be more of the same. I will end up watching most of the games this season (70ish), but the enthusiasm isn't what it used to be. I expect the Wings to barely qualify for the playoffs and get slaughtered in the first round. I just don't know what i'm watching anymore. The team is stuck in limbo.

I don't care about how they play, but i do care about the future of the team. Right now that future looks like the Calgary Flames. Tough to get excited about that.

Oilers fans can at least think about the #1 draft pick that the Oilers are going to end up screwing up.

Wings have a #3 prospect pool that can't beat out Dan Cleary or Kyle Quincey.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
yes and no. Our 2 most exciting players missed a lot of time, and our new 2nd line C looked bad and then was hurt the rest of the year.

We had 17 games where they scored 1 goal or were shut out and it want like we were putting on great defense displays there. We weren't a puck possession team, or a much of a speed team or much of a physical team. We just kinda were. For sure we had some exciting moments in the year and the kids were something to be excited about. Even 24/7 seemed more boring then past years. Theres some positives to look forward too next year depending on how things go so hopefully its more exciting

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
We had like 9 kids make their NHL debut last year, with Sheahan, Nyquist, Jurco and Tatar playing big roles. Thought it was one of the most fun seasons in years, even though it was sometimes frustrating. Same players each year, no emotion? Please.

TTS.gif

*tears*

But I guess you were talking about guys punching other guys.

Boring?

TSN top play of the year:

tatar.gif

TSN #2 play of the year:

846284882.gif

Antihockey?

pavel.gif

I guess I'll take it.

I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't trying to asert that it's *ALWAYS* boring, so you picking out some particularly exciting plays misses the point. Also, alot of people think guys punching other guys is pretty awesome and exciting (read: not a bad thing)

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I dare you to tell that part to Mike McKee... :sarcasm:

He's not on the Wings. His balls do us nothing right now.

And the Red Wings have never been known to be physical, old school, fighting?????

Bob Probert is known as the #1 fighter to play the game. Kocurs right hand is known to be one of the hardest around.

The McCarty/Lemieux feud? Goalie fights with Patrick Roy.

We are known for some of the most infamous fighting incidents and people the game has ever seen.

If anyone wants to sit there and say us not "fighting" is fine or saying we ARENT soft, then there is some denial going on. We are labeled as soft by every team in the league. Every good competitive playoff team has a total edge. We DONT have an edge. Comparing freaking Abdelkader to a guy like Bickell, Shaw, Ott, Richards, Etc is ludacris.

I want my teammates to stick up for me after a cheap shot. If I'm losing to a rival by 4 goals, I expect push back. There's a lot more to it on the ice compared to a staged fight for the fans. We don't get any of the 3 anymore.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't care about the "gritty" aspect. We can outskill or trap for all I care. I just want to win. I don't think any fans have ever thought "Man, my team won the Cup in a really boring way. Yawn."

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Outside of the first ~5 years that Babcock was our coach, I don't think I've ever found the way he coaches to be entertaining. The Anaheim team he took to the finals was beyond dull. The recent Wings teams have played some very vanilla hockey, and even the Olympics this year were very boring, even for a Canadian cheering for Canada. I loved the team winning, but he is not a very fun coach to watch.

I love his media stuff, because he is wry and his catchphrases are funny as hell, but his teams are typically pretty dull to watch.

If it weren't for the individual talent of our high end forwards, the Wings would be impossible to watch. Especially when you factor in that guys like Cleary played over half the season, albeit in a smaller role than usual. And just how bad the blueline is in general.

I am not knocking how good of a coach he is. He gets results pretty much everywhere he goes and I respect everything he has done for our organization over the last near-decade. But I totally get what the OP means.

Compound that with a management group that is content to bring back known veterans with very limited skill or upside in favour of trying their hand at some of their prospects, and yes it is hard to get jazzed up about the team at times. Once the games are on my tune almost always changes, because of course it is Wings hockey. But this team didn't do a lot to inspire confidence this summer after the last couple of years.

Last edited:

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Weiss and Alffie are boring players. Holland seems to like non physical old players more than anything.

Yeah it was nice to see new kids. It wasnt nice to see gudas headhunting Nyquist and no one of red wings giving a ****. Or abby, datsyuk, helm,kronwall and z cheap shotted and the same thibg again. Disgustibg and shameless

It doesnt matter where all these player come becausee Holland brings and drafts always same kind of players:. Ballsless.

Its hard to imagine how much soft players can be involved to one team

Take a look at our prospect pool size we have a plethora of sized guys. We just need some time and to get rid of some veterans which failed miserably this offseason.

Puddles

Mar 18, 2013
This offseason was supposed to be about not bringing back the dead weight and moving forward with some of the youth...and then Kenny re-signs Quincey and Cleary. The best moves to make is to sign no one and he couldn't do that right.

Still looking forward to '14-15 but this offseason has been such a downer.

Couldn't agree more. This is exactly the point! Signing Cleary and KFQ isn't moving forward. Forward doesn't always mean instantly improving. I was truly hoping that Kenny wouldn't sign anyone in free agency....didn't happen. It still feels like this team is regressing with only limited movements towards a future upswing. Its incredible that we hear Babs telling Holland that he wants RH d men, and Holland trying to overpay for someone in free agency that really wouldn't fit into our future roster structure, instead of simply giving him a couple of the 3 kids in GR that shoot right. That said, I can't wait for training camp.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
I wouldn't really say the team is more boring to watch per se. I loved watching the kids and there was still lots of excitement at least for me last season. I love watching D and Z..especially when healthy. I did lose I guess some interest in seeing the lack of moves and a desire I guess to improve. I wouldn't have been mad if the wings missed the playoffs last year. I wont be sad or mad if they do this year. I do want to see some improvement whether it's a a FA acquisition or promoting the kids and giving them the opportunities that they have earned. I guess I've just been less enthusiastic bc of the wishy washiness coming from the coach and GM. Players earning their spots..youth movement etc...they seem to contradict themselves a bit and that's what bothers me. I still will remain watching each and every game...I have started following other teams a tad more though over the past few seasons.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
the team is boring to watch since 4-5 years now. brickwalling to its extend. 60 minutes of board battling. painful to watch.
its just the result of years draining elite nhl talent with compensation of worker bees or ufc on skates types of player.
2008 i startet loosing interest in the wings since even back then we were talking about replacing lidstrom somehow. 7 years later we didnt have any replacement for lids or rafalski.
best thing is we are in the east now. so we will make the playoffs for the next 600 years anyway regardless who we are icing.

so what to cheer for?
datsyuk of course. zetta only when he is shutting down crosby....
but other then that. there are no special toons like holmstrom, mccarty or draper on the team anymore.
no to mention blue line domination with lidstrom, rafalski or the earlier chelios.

this team would be as exciting on the same level if you take the goal of the ice and let them brawl with the other team on the boards for the puck for 60 minutes.

to break it down you could easily replace every single player we have (but dats and zetta) with any random player in the nhl and you would get the same result. brickwalling is more easy then entertaining hockey. but for this we dont have the player anymore.

thats the reason why it looks so boring. its the darkest nashville trap system.

the fix would be getting some elite talent forwards what can deliver some entertainment. for this you have to give some prospects in trades. i would be fine with it. i take a proven young nhl elite player over any of our maybe good later prospects any time. as long our prospects are not reaching the level of the elite player in this league you can replace them anyway. the l.a. kings did it right and got to the right track. give away something to get the things you need for a cup run.
not sure holland can do it.

iwtb*

I think also that Babcocj is the big reason this team is so meh today. Holland has brought some gritty players couple of times and babcock just sit them. Like Tootoo. He had 30 point season just before he came here. And Babcock hated him. Always played like 5min per game. He never had a change. Or do you think guys like Sammy and Cleary arr more valuable to team than Tootoo?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think also that Babcocj is the big reason this team is so meh today. Holland has brought some gritty players couple of times and babcock just sit them. Like Tootoo. He had 30 point season just before he came here. And Babcock hated him. Always played like 5min per game. He never had a change. Or do you think guys like Sammy and Cleary arr more valuable to team than Tootoo?
Yeah I have no idea about Tootoo. He was a more than decent 3rd liner in Nashville. He always seemed pretty good when he was in the game here. I saw some offensive abilities, especially from his passing. And he was just running around hitting everything in sight and forechecking hard.

He's not that big though... I don't know why he got such a bum rap.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Yeah I have no idea about Tootoo. He was a more than decent 3rd liner in Nashville. He always seemed pretty good when he was in the game here. I saw some offensive abilities, especially from his passing. And he was just running around hitting everything in sight and forechecking hard.

He's not that big though... I don't know why he got such a bum rap.

for all babs talks about guys playing heavy and laying the body on...it baffled me that he wasn't used hardly at all at some points. I always liked when he was on the ice. The other team was on their heels and he was a heck of a lot better than Cleary lol. Had tons of energy and didn't coast around. Wish they would have kept him honestly.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If you're bored, you're spoiled. And you're probably looking for the wrong cure.

iwtb*

Yeb "Detroit has never been this way"
Ever heard guys named Probert, Kocur, Shanahan McCarty or Lapointe?

You dont need to fight if no reason but jesus these guys dont even stick up for each other.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I am eager as always for the new season, im not eager for the fall and winter of course, but I want to know what the new hockey season will have in store for us. The questions from now is:

Will Tatar and Alfredsson be resigned.

Will Jurco/Mantha/Pulkinnen/someone else get to play some games? In the case of Jurco, he will probably be 1# callup so he will se SOME action, but maybe he'll even be on the big team for the whole season?

Will Zetterbergs back be good for a whole season? If so, Z could very well end up at least top 10 in the scoring race. Same goes for Datsuyk I guess, can he stay healthy? Also crucial for DRW's offence.

Can Nyquist continue on his success from last year or was it just a fluke?

And of course Wiess, can he stay healthy?

Can Franzen bounce back from a very average season? Sadly I don't think so. We should be content if he doesn't regress even further, but I can be wrong so there is something to watch and see.

Can Howard bounce back from a very average season? I hope so!

Just how awful can a NHL player be and still make millions and get too much playing time? We shall soon see, no names mentioned...

Can our youngish defensemen like DD and Smith take a step forward in their development? Would be very welcome if so.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeb "Detroit has never been this way"
Ever heard guys named Probert, Kocur, Shanahan McCarty or Lapointe?

You dont need to fight if no reason but jesus these guys dont even stick up for each other.
No team in the salary cap era compares favorably to the 90s Wings. Perfect blend of toughness, grit and pure skill.

How many Shanahans exist in today's league? How many Proberts, Kocurs or McCartys?

The league is different today. If you were to do an honest, unbiased comparison between the Wings and every other team I doubt you'd come to the conclusion that the Wings stick up for eachother any less than most other teams.

iwtb*

So they stick up as much as other teams? Maybe compared to KHL or SHL teams.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No team in the salary cap era compares favorably to the 90s Wings. Perfect blend of toughness, grit and pure skill.

How many Shanahans exist in today's league? How many Proberts, Kocurs or McCartys?

The league is different today. If you were to do an honest, unbiased comparison between the Wings and every other team I doubt you'd come to the conclusion that the Wings stick up for eachother any less than most other teams.

That's how it goes. The game has changed. Every team is having less and less physical players, because physicality doesn't win games that much any more. Skill wins.

Also insurance companies have started to be harder against concussions, and there has been lots of concussion-symptoms happened after fights recently. Fighting is getting killed from hockey in the near future. That's pity, but I have never been a big fan of figths. Of course real non-goon fight is fun to watch when it rarely happens, but I've always been more of a skill game fan. Tape-to-tape passes from man-to-man and one-timer in "empty" net. That's the game what I love.

I also understand these guys who love and miss physical hockey, but that's just never coming back again as it was at 90's. :(

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
We're such a spoiled fan base.

We've seen our team compete consistently for 25 years and the last 3 years have been pretty disappointing. You can't expect the Red Wings to be at the top for the rest of your life. I wouldn't say it's boring, but more frustrating.

I still watch every game and there was about 25 of them where I was so frustrated, I just wanted to turn the TV off. Then again, there were about 35 where I was on the edge of my seat with excitement and jubilation when they won.

You're just going to have to accept the fact that this team is probably 5 years away from being built into a system that can get them back to the top, or completely fail and the team and prospects don't pan out the way we thought.

Who knows what next year will bring, but I'll definitely be watching. Even if they do piss me off regularly

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Ok. So I have followed this Team like last 25 years. And now we have came to situation that I skip a lot of games cause its just too Boring to watch.

Tehres couple of reasons. First:This Team is only staying in that playoff streak **** and nothing else. They dont try to get better of start rebuilding.
Just same Boring players every year

And then..the bigger reason.. This team is dead boring to watch. No emotions. No passion. We have been the softest team in the NHL almost ten years. It s antihockey for me what they play

So... Am I alone?

Over the last two seasons I find myself watching less and less. The brand of hockey sucks, and im tired of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad