Anyone else just bored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwtb*

Ok. So I have followed this Team like last 25 years. And now we have came to situation that I skip a lot of games cause its just too Boring to watch.

Tehres couple of reasons. First:This Team is only staying in that playoff streak **** and nothing else. They dont try to get better of start rebuilding.
Just same Boring players every year

And then..the bigger reason.. This team is dead boring to watch. No emotions. No passion. We have been the softest team in the NHL almost ten years. It s antihockey for me what they play

So... Am I alone?

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Ok. So I have followed this Team like last 25 years. And now we have came to situation that I skip a lot of games cause its just too Boring to watch.

Tehres couple of reasons. First:This Team is only staying in that playoff streak **** and nothing else. They dont try to get better of start rebuilding.

And then..the bigger reason.. This team is dead boring to watch. No emotions. No passion. We have been the softest team in the NHL almost ten years. It s antihockey for me what they play

So... Am I alone?

Won't say I'm bored but less enthusiastic looking to next season than I have been

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We had like 9 kids make their NHL debut last year, with Sheahan, Nyquist, Jurco and Tatar playing big roles. Thought it was one of the most fun seasons in years, even though it was sometimes frustrating. Same players each year, no emotion? Please.

TTS.gif

*tears*

But I guess you were talking about guys punching other guys.

Boring?

TSN top play of the year:

tatar.gif

TSN #2 play of the year:

846284882.gif

Antihockey?

pavel.gif

I guess I'll take it.

we like our team*

the second half of least season was exciting. i had been gradually losing interest since the 11-12 season up until then

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ken Holland is really good at killing morale in the summer.

The team is really good at bringing it back in the winter.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Well said Pavel's Dog.

This thread seems to be another QQ (crying) thread beginning.

There are many things on this team to look forward too. Complaining about our 12th forward or 4/5th defence man is in all truth not that big a deal. I know we all hate a few of those guys, but also realize this board is for "HOCKEY FUTURES" surprise surprise we think that young 20-21 year old kids are the answer to everything.

I think it is time for an optimism thread. Because quite frankly we have a really strong team IF we can avoid injuries.

If our young kids continue to improve many of us think we for sure have 2nd/3rd line guys at least right? Mix that with our current super stars, and this team could win the entire thing.

Yes Pitts/Bos likely have better shots, but suck it up man. That is life. Boston lost iginla, pitt lost neal. We have some really nice rookies like they do.

I am not saying "anything can happen" as i know my team is worse. I am saying flat out WE CAN BEAT THESE TEAMS! We need our D to play as a group. Everyone needs to improve (except kronwall, he had an amazing year). And if we find the right chemistry up front.. We are a very deep team. its time for everyone here to get your darn happy face on. You can have your QQ threads if you want, but lets have some positive ones as well.

D and Z can single handedly take us to the playoffs right?
Sheahan, Nyquist, Tatar could play well enough to help get us into the playoffs alone right?

Why can their combined powers not make us a power house team?

Also Bos and Pitts BOTH did not make it to the conf. finals. (NYR and Montreal)… These teams are not head and shoulders better than us.

Have a little faith gentlemen. Nothing is pre-ordained in sports!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
we think that young 20-21 year old kids are the answer to everything.
Rather, we think that the 20-21 year old kids are at least better than some of the garbage that just got brought back.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I agree. 100% agree. Watching Nyquist and Tatar play is fun yes, good to see them get the credit they deserve.

But that doesn't take away from the softness and lack of emotion. How many games did they have they just sat there and took their 4 goal loss? How bout watching all of these players get cheap shotted and not doing anything about it, no anger.

With these horrible offseasons and Kenny not doing crap, the team seems to be staying the same or getting worse as D and Z age. They just continue to squeak into the postseason, then lose. There is nothing in my mind that tells me I'm excited to watch this team compete.

Every quality playoff team has their fill of grinders and edgy ness to them. We don't. Boston physically scared the crap out of us.

So I agree. Kids are a breath of fresh air, which now has taken a step back. A goal or two doesn't give the team an identity. Our identity around the league is a non serious playoff team that is soft and has a GM that does nothing to better the team every year.

Edit- I'm not talking about solely punching guys in the face and staged fighting. I'm talking about hitting, not letting your teammates get hurt without a bit of payback. This is hockey, not soccer or golf. Losing in this sport is supposed to get you pissed. Taking a late shot at someone or coming together in a scrap is a frustration move and shows teams you won't be messing around. Philly came together after that huge donny brook with Washington. They went from like the worst team in the east to actually making the playoffs.

Not speaking/wanting a fight like plug John Scott vs. plug Justin Johnson. I play better puck than those two.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013

So... Am I alone?

I agree with you that they have gotten progressively more boring to watch in recent years. The reason? No emotion. No passion. No fighting. The entertainment factor really diminished after we stopped fielding a McCarty, Downey, Drake, May type player... and also when Maltby, Draper, Holmstrom retired... I feel those three, especially the former two, stirred up a lot of **** and incited passion in the process.

Totally agree.

Last edited:

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
The one gripe I have is the Red Wings insistence to play a puck possession game when they don't have the personnel for it. Its extremely frustrating, but we just don't have the PMDs that we once had. We have watched the same system played to perfection for years, its tough to watch this turnover fest.

But when it comes to the kids, things is as exciting as ever.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The one gripe I have is the Red Wings insistence to play a puck possession game when they don't have the personnel for it. Its extremely frustrating, but we just don't have the PMDs that we once had. We have watched the same system played to perfection for years, its tough to watch this turnover fest.

But when it comes to the kids, things is as exciting as ever.

What else are we going to do?

A trap? Our defense would be awful at that. And it's boring as heck.

Dump and chase? Who does that well other than Helm, and maybe Abdelkader?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What else are we going to do?

A trap? Our defense would be awful at that. And it's boring as heck.

Dump and chase? Who does that well other than Helm, and maybe Abdelkader?

especially when we have a kid or two (XO, Marchenko) who could step in for a couple of other guys and give us better puck movement from the backend. They might not be great at it right away, but I have more faith in them picking it up than in Kindl, Lashoff, and Quincey to be significantly better than last year.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
IMO, recent Detroit teams have been anything but boring. I think it's super exciting watching the kids come up and earn ice time. I also think the post-lockout Lidstrom-less Red Wings have shown so much more heart and emotion than the team everyone saw get taken out in 5 games against Nashville, and every year previous to that post-2009.

I remember the general consensus of the Red Wings playoff push in 2013, and even after the playoffs ended that year, everyone here wanted to combine the talent of the 2010-2012 teams with the emotion and hard working attitude the 2013 team had. Not too many people were happy to be going out in the 2nd round again, but everyone was proud of the guys who stepped on the ice and worked as hard as they could to get as far as they did that year. It rejuvenated a fanbase that for a while took the Red Wings for granted- people were calling in to the radio, fans were wearing Red Wings shirts like crazy. I think if anything, the past two years as a Red Wings fan, I've been anything but bored with the on ice roster.

"Boring" defines this offseason, but it also could be considered infuriating as well. It's extremely frustrating to see Detroit bring back Cleary and Quincey and not find upgrades, and the lack of trades or any sort of new blood coming in seems like a very Ken Holland thing, which could make someone say "anyone else just bored?", but I think it's silly to complain about a lack of emotion on a team that has worked so hard the past two years just to make the playoffs.

Having a McCarty type player is great, but there's other ways to be exciting on the ice than to fight. I don't like seeing players being able to dish out cheap shots and go unpunished for it, but I also don't think it's the difference between having an exciting team and a boring team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pretty sad that someone feels it's boring when we bring in new young kids every year.

Does the players have to come outside of the organization to be exciting?

Why wasn't Alfie and Weiss exciting at last off-season? New faces.

Always the same players? Yeah... Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Kronwall, are they boring players? Boring to see Datsyuk every year?

There has been huge changes from 2010-11 season to becoming season.

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Franzen
Filppula ---> Weiss
Hudler ---> Nyquist
Bertuzzi ---> Sheahan
Holmström --> Tatar
Helm
Eaves --> Glendening
Abdelkader
Miller
Cleary
Draper --> Andersson
Modano --> Alfredsson
Mursak --> Jurco
Emmerton --> Callahan

Lidström --> DeKeyser
Rafalski --> Smith
Kronwall
Stuart --> Quincey
Ericsson
Salei ---> Lashoff
Kindl
Janik ---> Ouellet/Marchenko

Howard
Osgood ---> Gustavsson/Mrazek

15 new players vs. 26-man roster and 12 new players vs. 23-man roster. Over 50% of names have changed during last four seasons. Gives some perspective how we are having "always the same team".

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
I'm really excited to see the prospects developing. Tatar is the definition of passion - the most passionate player we've had on this team in years.

Cleary --as much as I didn't want him re-signed-- is passionate too. Dude fought Chris Pronger. Just last season he lost ten teeth (at least one of which he pulled out on the bench) and played through it.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm really excited to see the prospects developing. Tatar is the definition of passion - the post passionate player we've had on this team in years.

Brendan Smith against the Bruins showed a ton of passion and gusto.

One of the only players that didn't back down to that team.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
The Wings have one of the youngest teams they've had in 2 decades and are still competitive. There's plenty to be excited about if you're not a boring person. They aren't gunna be a top seed Cup contender every single year. It's just impossible with the salary cap.

You sound like a spoiled fan

iwtb*

Pretty sad that someone feels it's boring when we bring in new young kids every year.

Does the players have to come outside of the organization to be exciting?

Why wasn't Alfie and Weiss exciting at last off-season?

Weiss and Alffie are boring players. Holland seems to like non physical old players more than anything.

Yeah it was nice to see new kids. It wasnt nice to see gudas headhunting Nyquist and no one of red wings giving a ****. Or abby, datsyuk, helm,kronwall and z cheap shotted and the same thibg again. Disgustibg and shameless

It doesnt matter where all these player come becausee Holland brings and drafts always same kind of players:. Ballsless.

Its hard to imagine how much soft players can be involved to one team

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I was more invested in the team last year than in previous seasons on the sheer virtue that it was the most adversity the team had faced in a while, also, all the kids came up and proved all of us right and management wrong. The kids stole the show.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
This offseason was supposed to be about not bringing back the dead weight and moving forward with some of the youth...and then Kenny re-signs Quincey and Cleary. The best moves to make is to sign no one and he couldn't do that right.

Still looking forward to '14-15 but this offseason has been such a downer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This offseason was supposed to be about not bringing back the dead weight and moving forward with some of the youth...and then Kenny re-signs Quincey and Cleary. The best moves to make is to sign no one and he couldn't do that right.

Still looking forward to '14-15 but this offseason has been such a downer.

This is how I feel.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Weiss and Alffie are boring players.

Weiss was for us yes. Alfie is not boring. I am sorry if assists and goals are boring to you.
Seriously what a ridiculous statement.

What is exciting to you??

It doesnt matter where all these player come becausee Holland brings and drafts always same kind of players:. Ballsless.

Its hard to imagine how much soft players can be involved to one team

Its called drafting smaller europeans… seems like you are a fan of the wrong team.

Sorry, you want to be a boston fan it seems or old school philly.

Detroit has never been this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad