Anyone else into vegan body building

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Safe to say without the supplements itd be hard to hit those numbers?

Also, at anyone looking for inspiration, take a look at @pauliecooks on IG. Food enthusiast turned vegan for a year now, he has some great stuff.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Safe to say without the supplements itd be hard to hit those numbers?

Also, at anyone looking for inspiration, take a look at @pauliecooks on IG. Food enthusiast turned vegan for a year now, he has some great stuff.

I guess that depends on what qualifies as a "supplement".? Personally, I view buying the materials for my shake and blending them as no different than buying individual food items/ingredients and cooking them. The only items I take that I'd consider supplements are creatine, beta alanine and a multi vitamin.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I guess that depends on what qualifies as a "supplement".? Personally, I view buying the materials for my shake and blending them as no different than buying individual food items/ingredients and cooking them. The only items I take that I'd consider supplements are creatine, beta alanine and a multi vitamin.

Some people are incredibly annoying with supplementing, trust me :laugh:

(Also I dont make money off supps :laugh:)

Last edited:

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I've been vegan for almost 17 years. You can get gains just fine as long as you train correctly and eat a balanced diet. Your diet above looks to be low in calories and low in (healthy) fats. Here is my protein shake recipe that is filling, balanced and cheap:

1. 44lb bag of soy protein isolate from Honeyville ($.26/serving of 35 grams)
2. 50lb bag of milled flax seed from Honeyville ($.14/serving for 14 grams)
3. 1 cup of dry oats ($.18/serving)
4. 1/8 cup of Trader Joe's flake coconut ($0.15/serving)
5. 2 TBSP Peanut Butter ($.12/serving)
6. 1 banana ($.19/banana at Trader Joe's)

Totals = $0.94/serving, 965 calories, 61 grams protein (25%), 40.5 grams fat (38%), 91 grams carbohydrates (38%). 1/2 cup of oats may be all that you need for each shake, depending on your activity level. I drink two of those shakes a day and also eat almonds, cashews, prunes, tofu cooked in coconut oil with spinach and a sweet potato, textured vegetable protein, big salad with chickpeas, walnuts, dried blueberries and nutritional yeast. Typically I'm around 25% protein, 40% fat and 35% carbs. Since I get almost 2,000 calories for less than $2.00 from my shakes, it's not even expensive despite normally consuming 3,500-4,000 calories/day.

Not vegan but gonna try this tomorrow, without the coconut. I'm assuming you mix it with water? Think it would work with Milk?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Not vegan but gonna try this tomorrow, without the coconut. I'm assuming you mix it with water? Think it would work with Milk?

Yeah, I use around 16 ounces of water. It will just have more calories with milk, and it is possible that you may need slightly more milk since it would be thicker? It would probably make sense in that case to water down the milk slightly or use less protein, since you would already be adding protein with the milk anyway.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Yeah, I use around 16 ounces of water. It will just have more calories with milk, and it is possible that you may need slightly more milk since it would be thicker? It would probably make sense in that case to water down the milk slightly or use less protein, since you would already be adding protein with the milk anyway.

End result was pretty good, better than I was expecting. Pretty thick but I think the Milk added a decent amount of calories to the recipe. Dont know exactly how much I used though, was adding more in as I blended.

I also used the last of some vanilla whey I have, I wonder if that has anything to do with the good taste. Think I'm gonna probably experiment a little the next few times, maybe try the Soy Isolate protein and exact measurements of certain elements. Definitely think I'll stick with it for a rest day breakfast. That's been the day I've been struggling with calorie wise.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
End result was pretty good, better than I was expecting. Pretty thick but I think the Milk added a decent amount of calories to the recipe. Dont know exactly how much I used though, was adding more in as I blended.

I also used the last of some vanilla whey I have, I wonder if that has anything to do with the good taste. Think I'm gonna probably experiment a little the next few times, maybe try the Soy Isolate protein and exact measurements of certain elements. Definitely think I'll stick with it for a rest day breakfast. That's been the day I've been struggling with calorie wise.

I think most of the flavor comes from the peanut butter and banana, but I can imagine the milk+vanilla bringing out a stronger flavor. My once a year guilty pleasure shake is to use a chocolate cashew base milk. Honestly though, I never get tired of my daily recipe. After a recent 10-day, shake-free vacation my first shake back in the US tasted like cake batter.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
Is it even possible to get good gains on a vegan diet? Doesn't seem like enough fats and protein.

yes it is but it's a little bit more complicated

This guy is vegan and he is unbelievably strong

In this video he talks about his diet

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
Are pharmaceutical vegan? :laugh:

Oh, he's on drugs for sure but had he competed in the Olympics last summer he would most likely have finished on the podium (and I'm sure he's not taking more drugs than any of the weightlifters that were at the Olympics)

plus he can bench 400+ pounds for reps

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Oh, he's on drugs for sure but had he competed in the Olympics last summer he would most likely have finished on the podium (and I'm sure he's not taking more drugs than any of the weightlifters that were at the Olympics)

plus he can bench 400+ pounds for reps

On the podium in CJ and Snatch? Id doubt that. If he was that good hed be there. It takes a special talent to move that kind of weight

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
On the podium in CJ and Snatch? Id doubt that. If he was that good hed be there. It takes a special talent to move that kind of weight

His everyday bodyweight is 100kg so I believe he would compete in the 94 kg

His best snatch is 185 kg, almost got 190 a few weeks ago

His best C&J is 220kg, almost got 225 not long ago

This summer at Rio the best snatch was 182 and the best C&J was 221

The guy who finished third snatched 177 and C&J 215

Considering that you always lift a little bit less in competition I believe he would challenge for a spot on the podium

He is an animal and only 23 years old

185 kg snatch

220 CJ

Last edited:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
He is absolutely world class, no doubt about that. You'd have to expect his numbers to dip slightly though if he dropped 6 kilos to lift in the 94kg class.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He is absolutely world class, no doubt about that. You'd have to expect his numbers to dip slightly though if he dropped 6 kilos to lift in the 94kg class.

I mean, he is strong and hes not actually far from world class numbers, but I cant help but think theres something fishy about this.

Obviously numbers dip with 6 KG less, numbers also dip in competition, but you probably see more with coaching... Its just incredibly weird how he can be this strong and not be in the national team. Albeit I dont know much about olympic lifting.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
I mean, he is strong and hes not actually far from world class numbers, but I cant help but think theres something fishy about this.

Obviously numbers dip with 6 KG less, numbers also dip in competition, but you probably see more with coaching... Its just incredibly weird how he can be this strong and not be in the national team. Albeit I dont know much about olympic lifting.

He doesn't care about competing, he's a student with a job

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
You say he doesnt care about competing, I say hes on some powerful drugs and he wouldnt even get by the 70s standards.

Maybe

But he was already snatching 145kg and C&J 175kg at 17-18 y/o

There's some footage of him weightlifting at 15 years old, it's not like he started a few months ago, he's been doing it for at least 8 years.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Honestly, this isn't the post everybody is going to want to read, but I tried it for 6 months and it didn't go well. I started eating meat again and started gaining a lot more muscle quickly. Part of that may be due to my using creatine once I gave up veganism.

It did help me with my general energy levels though. It was cool for sure, and I know it works for plenty of bodybuilders. But I personally tried it and it didn't work very well.

I would definitely recommend everybody try it though, due primarily to climate change but also caring for the animals.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Vegetarian but not vegan here, and that's hard enough, particularly when cutting or toning! If I were to get into powerlifting instead and weren't concerned about maintaining a BF%, I'd probably give it a longer look.

Also gave up supplements recently in an effort to eat more real food, unless I'm pretty far off from my macros for the day and don't have a lot of calories to spare. Already hard enough that I'll probably end up going pescetarian if I have to go on a harder cut in the future.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I've been eating vegan for about 4 years now, and lifting weights regularly for a couple of years but recently have really seen my gains go up and have gotten really into the BB. Going to the gym 4-5 days a week these days. Nice to see others on here doing it as well.

Reactions: stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Yes, I’ve noticed some really nice gains at the gym this past winter . From January - May I went to the gym 5-6x a week, and was counting grams of protein and calories . Dropped off after going on vacation & haven’t been able to get back into it.

But in those 4 months I put on 15 pounds of muscle . Likely lost most of it haha .

Going to try and make the gym more of a routine again starting tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad