Anyone else enjoying this bye week from the Sabres?

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
No, not really.

While they're still maddeningly inconsistent and unable to string wins together, they've also been markedly better the last six weeks. The team is still made up of majority young players whose development is both interesting and critical to future seasons here. Now that the sting of unmet expectations for this season has settled, I'm watching games more with my head than my heart.

I still enjoy throwing a game on TV on a quiet winter night, even if it's more background and I'm not on the edge of my seat. Maybe it's just a hometown habit, but that's ok too.

The PP stats are especially damning during this stretch. The competition we faced was weak enough for us to be top 10 in every 5v5 stat but we’re still 30th on the PP against those atrocious PKs

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
No, not really.

While they're still maddeningly inconsistent and unable to string wins together, they've also been markedly better the last six weeks. The team is still made up of majority young players whose development is both interesting and critical to future seasons here. Now that the sting of unmet expectations for this season has settled, I'm watching games more with my head than my heart.

I still enjoy throwing a game on TV on a quiet winter night, even if it's more background and I'm not on the edge of my seat. Maybe it's just a hometown habit, but that's ok too.

Easy way to rectify this is to just take a penalty when the ref puts his hand up for a delayed penalty.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Hey guess who has the 3rd toughest remaining schedule in the league?

Yup.
Difficulty of opponent doesn't really matter for this team. Whether they have a good chance at winning or losing depends entirely on how the team comes out of the locker room regardless of opponent. We have had great games and wins against the best in the league quite a few times this year. My lack of faith in this team is due to their own inconsistency, not the quality of competition.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I had knee surgery on Wednesday. Arthroscopic. Torn meniscus on right knee.
I'm putting you on the long term injured reserve, you're out for the rest of the season, no more having to watch the Sabres for you. You're welcome. Feel better soon

Hey guess who has the 3rd toughest remaining schedule in the league?

Yup.
That might be a good thing since they lose to bottom feeders and beat good teams so frequently

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
The PP stats are especially damning during this stretch. The competition we faced was weak enough for us to be top 10 in every 5v5 stat but we’re still 30th on the PP against those atrocious PKs
Eh yeah but that only further confirms what we knew about the PP. It's only worrying as long as the staff stays intact.

Competition was weaker the last 3-4 weeks but those strong six week stats include the end of December when we got slapped around by good and bad teams. And it would be worrisome if we didn't beat up some on the worst teams in the league. They deserve some credit for actually doing that.

The start doomed the season, but the current team isn't as bad as the expectations have made it feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Ellis should be run out of town on a rail.
It really is unbelievable that a team in the most elite league on the planet would have someone coaching the special teams that has zero experience and clearly has no understanding of how to coach a PP..

While Ellis is low hanging fruit, this situation is ultimately on Granato. It is super depressing when you realize that we are likely stuck with this gross incompetence for probably another year or more.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
No, I don’t miss them. And while I respect what others are saying that the past month plus has been better, they still look like a soft, perimeter team that had no clue in their own zone to me.

Reactions: BFLO

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I use the Sabres as a crutch to procrastinate all of the work I have to do. So I do miss my crutch a bit, but maybe it is for the best.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Huh... Tuesday's game is against Dallas, which means it will probably be blacked out for me even though I'm close to 300 miles away.

Guess I won't have to worry about following the Sabres for almost another week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad