Anyone else enjoying this bye week from the Sabres?

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
The last 2 seasons I was immediately sad when the season ended, and was craving more Sabres hockey.

This year I'm glad for the short break provided by the all star game and bye week from the disappointment of this team.

I assume I won't miss them when the season ends either. What a sad state of affairs.

I want to miss them.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
No, not really.

While they're still maddeningly inconsistent and unable to string wins together, they've also been markedly better the last six weeks. The team is still made up of majority young players whose development is both interesting and critical to future seasons here. Now that the sting of unmet expectations for this season has settled, I'm watching games more with my head than my heart.

I still enjoy throwing a game on TV on a quiet winter night, even if it's more background and I'm not on the edge of my seat. Maybe it's just a hometown habit, but that's ok too.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
We are 9-6-1 since the Columbus humiliation and 7-4 in the New Year. Albeit the schedule has been easier, but the play has certainly improved recently.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm watching a bit more crap TV...so same as the usual Sabres game. I hoped Bills and Bucs stuff would make up for this lull, but alas it's back to a dark and depressing existence. This chocolate stout will help get me through.

Reactions: Irie

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Yeah I've certainly reached a low point. I expected to look at flights and picking games to watch but this is obviously not the year.
If they ever become good my plan is to work remote from buffalo a week or two and watch the games live.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
J
No, not really.

While they're still maddeningly inconsistent and unable to string wins together, they've also been markedly better the last six weeks. The team is still made up of majority young players whose development is both interesting and critical to future seasons here. Now that the sting of unmet expectations for this season has settled, I'm watching games more with my head than my heart.

I still enjoy throwing a game on TV on a quiet winter night, even if it's more background and I'm not on the edge of my seat. Maybe it's just a hometown habit, but that's ok too.

They are an oddity this year.

bunch of one goal loses (excluding ENs)

if they used a 3-2-1 pts system, buffalo would be in the playoffs

get an additional 8 pts and they are in WC race.

PP top 10-15 then this team is likely in a playoff spot now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was thinking something similar to this yesterday. When they've lost the 50 year fans with no life (ahem.. me), the org is really in a downward spiral.

Yeah, same. The fear that they would be complacent and burn down their new cache of goodwill has sadly, typically, come to pass.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
I’m looking forward to Tuesday’s game, but what I’ve really missed is the posters who go to the trouble of commenting before every game that they don’t care and won’t watch.

Reactions: rams

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
A lot less stress..to be honest I didn't even notice they were off that long until a day ago 🤣

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
We are 9-6-1 since the Columbus humiliation and 7-4 in the New Year. Albeit the schedule has been easier, but the play has certainly improved recently.
We've had the easiest schedule in the league during this stretch. 8 out of those 16 games have come against the 7 teams that are below us in the standings. And another was against the Kings who have been in free fall and maybe the worst team in the league during the last ~45 days.

Doing well against the dregs of the league is certainly better than doing poorly. But I think it's a bit of fool's gold to think this stretch against the bottom feeders is showing us as having turned some kind of corner.

I've watched the games and looked at the stats. I don't think we're actually playing better. I think the competition has just been that weak, and UPL has been on a heater.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I’m looking forward to Tuesday’s game, but what I’ve really missed is the posters who go to the trouble of commenting before every game that they don’t care and won’t watch.

Hey man, I care so little I didn’t even read your post. I’m just saying this to everyone, it’s weird, and I’m like 0/300 so far.

Seriously though, I get OP- I checked out in December. We’re doing the same shit expecting different results, and it’s cool that it seems to be working, but.. eh, not optimistic, not with this coaching regime.

So ya OP, needed a break, will catch a few just to see how they look afterwards though.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m loving it. No crap unfinished team to worry about. Don’t have to think about giant holes in the lineup. Don’t have to care about that night’s results.

This must be what Kevyn Adams feels like every day.

• Haha
Reactions: BFLO and pf8363

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I'm skiing this weekend with my two sons in Mont Tremblant. Great skiing conditions yesterday and today with two days of sunshine coming up. Life is good. Returning to Buffalo on 2/6, in time to watch the Sabres game.

As a Sabres lifer and fan since 1970, I understand and also feel the frustration and disappointment. For me, it just doesn't get to the point of contempt, hatred, and disparagement that I see so much on the board these days.

Just hoping the season closes out on a higher note than the first half.

Edit: Duplicate phrase

Last edited:
Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yes. f*** this team. Almost every single one of them.

Peterka and Quinn are future stars, UPL and Skinner are in my good graces too and Skinner has actually been the only threatening Sabre night in and night out even tho most of you hate on him.

As for Dahlin, Tage and Cozens, none have lived up to their contracts.

Mittlestadt is luke warm, he looks good because mostly everyone else looks like shit and he's playing for a contract.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
The bye is going to last the rest of the season for me...Done with these losers

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I cannot remember when there was no GBU anymore. even in the dark years there has always been one.
I guess it is because they got the hopes up and followed with a disappointment. its not that they are worse than in those dark years, it is the regression and many tangibles that are not working.
Also there is the question of what the GM is going to do or more if he is capable of making the right moves and personnel decisions.
the handling of the roster was a bit "strange" 11/7, Comrie, Levi etc.

Bright spots too in UPL, Benson, Mitts.... Peterka despite sophomore pains

I think a coaching changes could have salvaged this season, maybe. but it should have happened in December, they just needed to get the PP going...

Thompson has been figured out by the league, it was already a bit visible at the end of last season, he needs to adapt his game, like every star player, he is obviously struggling with it.

I don't know whats up with Dahlin, I expected a lot more of him, he is obviously not that injured otherwise he would have skipped the Allstar game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad