Anybody else not really excited about this season?

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I'll be honest, this is probably the least excited I am for a season in a long time. I've been watching the Flyers since the late 90's and this team is just...meh.

This is a transition year. So we can expect them to probably battle for the last playoff spot but ultimately end up falling short. Just a mediocre year that ends with a mediocre draft pick.

I'm excited to watch Giroux, Voracek, Mason, Simmonds, and Couturier specifically. But the defense is an absolute dumpster fire.

For the time being, since I live so close to the PPL center, I'll be trying to watch/attend as many games as possible before I potentially move. I am extremely excited to watch the young guns in Allentown this season.

Anybody else in the same boat? I'll definitely watch all the games that I can, but I'm just pretty detached from this upcoming season. :dunno:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm nonplussed .....mainly because not much was upgraded and no rookies yet that we can watch develop other than if you watch the Phantoms. I guess mid or late season we will get to see some call ups...or if there are injuries. However, since we are still a one line team and the D is still a patchwork.....not expecting much different than last year. Yeah mediocre....with probably a late year run that I suspect will come up short. Hopefully, I am wrong and they secure a playoff spot which is important for development and experience...especially with a rookie coach.

SchennSational1022*

There's no way it will be as bad/we are as bad as we were last season, so that's how I'm looking at it.

SchennSational1022*

Maybe not as boring....but I still think they will be mediocre and a cusp playoff team

THat's what I meant. Don't see a massive jump in standings, probably a 1st round exit (unless we get Pens lol), but we definitely won't be as boring to watch.

If Giroux or Voracek goes down, RIP 2015-2016 Flyers.

If any teams top 2 players go down, RIP to their season. No difference here...

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
My expectations are low, but I am hoping that Ghost and one of Morin/Hagg play their way onto the team.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
My expectations are low, but I am hoping that Ghost and one of Morin/Hagg play their way onto the team.

It's really not the end of the world if our young guns make the AHL playoffs..id love to see stolarz, leier, cousins, hagg, morin, and even ghost get massive ice time and playoff experience together. Let that younger core solidify their relationships and confidence in one another.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I agree that the team is meh, but I'm still pretty excited for the season to start. Should be fun watching as long as we're still in the playoff hunt, even if we miss it in the end. Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing how Medvedev handles himself in regular season play and how Streit fares now that he's a year older. Also, I'd be pleased if Gudas established himself as a regular, so that's another thing that'll keep my interest up.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
****ing pumped!

Can't wait for Thursday! I swapped my shift around at work so I can be home to watch the opener!

So many negative nancy's around these parts.....

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Most seasons Ill make a new topic and do a preview of the flyers season and i was half way writing it when I realized that just like you ROO , I was just " not into it"

The flyers fate this year was sealed before the drop of the first puck and i don't think ive ever in my life had a season like that . Never have I watched a flyers season with no hope, or optimism and those are the two things lacking this year in flyers land.

I am actually more interested in the phantoms this year. I hope hagg , ghost and morin show that they they have the potential to all be top 4 dmen.

As for the flyers I can see a couple of good and bad things happening this year. First I think coots is going to get the minutes , usage, and linemates to put up offensive numbers, if that is the case its time to put up or shut up. We have a stud franchise center, we really need a 2nd line center to establish himself as a secondary scoring threat. As a side note, wouldn't it be nice if brayden schenn came into his own and started to show the potential he was hyped up to have for such a long time? Hoping he is more than a 45-55 pt secondary player.
Second, I am glad to see laughton this year and fully expect him to have a successful year in a two way role, If coots struggles with offense i can see them switching down the line to spark the team.
Third, I think giroux and voracek have a frustrating season. We are an easy team to defend against and i can see them being shutdown. It would not surprise me if giroux has another unremarkable season by his standards again. 70-75 pt range is what i am expecting. His even strength scoring is not trending in the right direction ( 57, 55, 49, 36) these past couple of years and there is no reason to suspect it will improve.

If G, V, mason, get hurt for any length of time it could be a top 3 pick season for the flyers which in the long run may be the best thing for this franchise.

With the 2016 draft prospect thread already being such a hit on this board just shows where many fans heads are at on hfboards flyers. Its going to be a long , monotonous season, but atleast we knew it going into the season. Still i love hockey , and i love the flyers so i will derive some pleasure from the season just not as much as in recent years.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It will be another year of watching, wanting them to win, seeing them lose, and telling myself that the better draft pick is better than finishing 9th.

Personally, I am excited because we know a Hextall is going to make moves for our future. Us winning anything will be on the backs of our future D, not the current one. So the things he does now for our future is very important.

Our entire D is about to get overhauled in the next 2 years. What does a Hextall get for those guys? How many future picks and players can he get to compliment our future D? How will Hakstol make a difference?

I am happy to have hockey back, but I am also excited about our whole organization for once when it comes to the future. In the past, there were only 1-2 guys worth caring about that were not on our team. Now, we have possibly 6-8 WJC players this coming year plus have LV with a bunch more prospects instead of fillers.

The Flyers will be avaerage again this year, I am expecting that. But all the kids coming, their progress, and other moving parts will keep it an interesting year for me.

Yukon Cornelius*

This is the most excited for the organization I've been since 1987. We're 2 years away from being a Powerhouse again. Curb your expectations and focus on the development of our prospects, the further development of Couturier, Raffl and Simmonds, the make or break seasons for both Matt Read and Brayden Schenn.

I love the lean years, it's what made the 85-88, the mid 90's and the 2010 clubs that much more satisfying.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I wouldnt say I am not excited, but its definitely a different feeling compared to past years. Most years you get spoiled with a new face, maybe a young guy who made it. I know we got Laughton, and then added Gudas and Med, but overall it is so hard to shake the feeling that the game on Tuesday is just a continuation of last season's team. Not that I think we should have blown up the whole team, but when you you have 23 players and 3 of them are new, its hard to shake that this is a new season.

I am excited to see what Raffl can do on the top line/pp. Seeing if Couturier can bring his offensive game to the next level and see if Schenn can follow suit. I am interested in Med and hoping he can be a solid presence on defense for us. This is also Manning's last chance to show he is an NHL player. He outbeat Schenn & MacDonald. It is time for him to show if he is an NHL player.

Still looking forward to the first game, but again when you have 20 of the same players from last years horrible team on the team, it is so hard to smile and look forward to how they do. I know we have a new coach so things should change but shaking the fact is so hard.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I am pretty excited.

The more Hextall gets to impose his ideas on the team and franchise as a whole and continues to eradicate the mess created at the end of Holmgren's regime piece by piece, the more I feel content with the franchise going forward.

I mean, do not get me wrong, I feel this team most likely misses the playoffs (though has a decent shot of scraping in) but even despite that I am pretty excited as a whole for the team going forward, and this year is part of that.

Also compared to last year this season should be far more exciting in terms of style of hockey played... I mean, I do not like watching them lose, but if they are going to lose I would at least like not to have glazed over or fell asleep by the time the final buzzer sounds! I have never been as bored watching the Flyers as I was last year.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Just has a weird transition year feeling. Like we know we are rebuilding, but none of the young guys defensemen that are the hallmark of the rebuild are ready yet. I believe Ghost is going to push for a spot quickly. Not saying he gets it, but I have a feeling he is going to light it up at the AHL level.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Having a new coach, a backup with working hips, and a realistic chance of seeing young players called up from the AHL if there are injuries or trades (Ghost, Cousins, Hagg, Morin, Leier) means I'm much more excited about this season than the last one. And, I'm not keeping track of icings this year so I won't have to worry about that when watching the games. Also, no Rinaldo! :vhappy:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think I'll be more interested come December/January on. I think moves will be made and space will be created to accommodate some young players.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Getting to watch another year of prime Giroux and Voracek has me excited. Getting to watch Mason have another good year hopefully and a chance to see Couts break out are more incentives to watch

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I'm very excited for the season. We will have a new tempo and more hungry players. I'm hoping Laughton, Ghost, Morin/Hagg, Cousins, maybe Leier have shots to prove themselves to be valuable pieces to the roster. I think we will see a much stronger forecheck and better team Defense before it even makes it to our zone. I may be the only one, but I predict a little Playoff run and turning this team in a new direction. Hextall has the right idea and we should start seeing it come together as the year progresses. I can't wait!

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
always excited for a new season!
but my expectations are pretty low

DayoftheGreek

Dec 10, 2008
Extremely excited for this season, just not expecting a great or even good performance. And you never know, they could catch fire and go on a streak to at least make the playoffs. Worse teams have been lucky before. Last year was painfully boring and we can't be that bad again, right? Just Berube being gone should be good for 5-10 more points!

I don't think I've really been apart of a rebuild like when I have been so involved in the prospects, coach, etc so it will be nice to watch things come together. I want to see how Coots finally puts the pieces together, how Hakstol makes the best of the team, how the rookies handle their eventually call ups, more good long-term moves throughout the season, etc.

I think its just as important to have losing seasons since they give the winning seasons more weight. I think we've been mostly spoiled as fans overall (except the cups !!!!) and now is the chance to get in on the ground floor for a 3-5 year run of exciting hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad