Music: Any vinyl collectors out here?

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
In the 90s I would buy a lot of punk, hardcore, indie stuff on vinyl singles & EPs, basically out of necessity. If a band didn't have much money or label support, small run vinyl was an inexpensive option to get on hard copy.
Now with YouTube, I rarely need (or seek) to sample rare vinyl. I know it sucks for bands trying to make money and/or leave a hard copy legacy.. but now I usually just sample stuff via YouTube.
I do value my 45 collection tho..

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I own a few but no where near enough to credibly call it a collection. Mostly it was just the novelty of it when I moved in with my girlfriend and she owns a record player. I still buy one once in a while and received a couple as presents, but yeah, the price doesn't justify the purchase when I use other ways to listen to music - mainly spotify - and that I simply don't spin records enough in the actual apartment for the it to be worth it considering the price. Also, part of it is that I like music as a solitary, bubble-like experience that I prefer to enjoy with headphones on. So usually, when I use vinyl, it's when me and my girlfriend are making/eating dinner, having people over and whatnot. That kind of makes it hard to concentrate as much as I would like on the intricacies of the music I'm listening to. I'm also more interested in building my personal library (of only fiction) which is far more substantial and cost-effective.

With that said, here are the one's I personally own. My girlfriend's got some cool one's too, though.

The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)
The Velvet Underground (1969)
Walk on the Wild Side: The Best of Lou Reed (1977)
Rock n Roll Animal by Lou Reed (1975)
Changesonebowie by David Bowie (1976)
Best of the Beach Boys (1966)
Power, Corruption & Lies by New Order (1983)
Safe as Milk by Captain Beefheart (1967)
The Modern Dance by Pere Ubu (1978)
Room on Fire by The Strokes (2003)
Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno (1974)
Good Kid, Maad City by Kendrick Lamar (2012)
How I Got Over by The Roots (2010)
The Anthology by A Tribe Called Quest (1999)

I think I'm missing a couple, though. And a bar acquaintance of mine owns two copies of Taking Tiger Mountain by Brian Eno so I'll be getting one of those for free eventually. And besides Rock n Roll Animal, all the Best Of I've got I've received for free.

Last edited:

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Just got my AudioTechnica AT LP60! Bought DSOTM and Meddle for 60$ (digitally remastered). Anyone got some speaker recommendations? Harmonium Vinyls hard to find?

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
I'm not a collector at all but I found a copy of "Introducing...the Beatles" and snagged it for $5.00 years ago.
I do wonder if it is worth anything.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Just got my AudioTechnica AT LP60! Bought DSOTM and Meddle for 60$ (digitally remastered). Anyone got some speaker recommendations? Harmonium Vinyls hard to find?

For speakers, you wont get much better bang for your buck than with Boston Acoustics A40. In good condition they go between 70 and 125 for the pair.

I have them on my set up. Technics SL-20 turntable (with Shure M97xE cart) into a Technics 5270 receiver and the A40s for speakers.

Another good budget speaker is the Realistic Minimus 7s (preferably the older ones with wood housings)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As someone who likes the idea of vinyl but hesitates to dive into it because of the financial investment, is it even worth buying a turntable that's more on the budget-friendly side? I'm under the impression that it's one of those things where if you're not going to buy a really expensive high quality one, you might as well not buy one at all. Is that the wrong attitude?

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
As someone who likes the idea of vinyl but hesitates to dive into it because of the financial investment, is it even worth buying a turntable that's more on the budget-friendly side? I'm under the impression that it's one of those things where if you're not going to buy a really expensive high quality one, you might as well not buy one at all. Is that the wrong attitude?

I have a receiver/speaker setup already and don't mind the cost of the actual records themselves.

that's not really the case. you can get plenty of good turntables for under $200 bucks. A new one like the LP60 ($90) is a very good entry, or cruise for older ones on ebay like the Technics SL-20, SL-23, SL-3, etc. All can be had for under $150.

You'll get more out of your $$ if you get a less expensive turntable and upgrade the cartridge instead. the cartridge will have hte most effect on the tone.

Plus most good records are under $10 a piece at record shops, and a lot of them will be $3 a piece (60s, 70s, 80s, used)

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
that's not really the case. you can get plenty of good turntables for under $200 bucks. A new one like the LP60 ($90) is a very good entry, or cruise for older ones on ebay like the Technics SL-20, SL-23, SL-3, etc. All can be had for under $150.

You'll get more out of your $$ if you get a less expensive turntable and upgrade the cartridge instead. the cartridge will have hte most effect on the tone.

Plus most good records are under $10 a piece at record shops, and a lot of them will be $3 a piece (60s, 70s, 80s, used)

That is absolutely not my experience. :mad:

Reactions: Stylizer1

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
That is absolutely not my experience. :mad:

that blows.

Ive gotten ones like SRV - Texas Flood, Van Halen 1, Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic, Average White Band, Thriller, Purple Rain, Ziggy Stardust, Meet the Beatles, Black Sabbath - Paranoid, ELO, 6 different Stones albums all for under $5 a piece.

Things like Velvet Underground go for 20-40 each.

Granted most record shops charge more, but there is 1 called Time Capsule that is $3 for most records, and rarely more than $10 a piece.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I'm sure they sound fine, but is there still any discernable and worthwhile advantage of buying/listening to Vinyl over digital if you're not going to pay for really high quality equipment? (the cost of records themselves, I'm not too concerned with)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm sure they sound fine, but is there still any discernable and worthwhile advantage of buying/listening to Vinyl over digital if you're not going to pay for really high quality equipment?

yes.

the sound even with cheapest of the cheap equipment will have a more rich and warm sound compared to digital.

You still get the same uncompressed, more dynamic sound. The same warmth, imperfect sounds like some static or crackling, same type of sound.

Better equipment will enhance those aspects (to a point, then its just snake oil), but even the most barebones set up you can make will have those same characteristics.

Look at it compared to NHL players. There are levels of good among NHL players, but even the absolute worst NHL'er will look like Gretzky against beer leaguers

Sleemans

Sleep Well Beast
Oct 4, 2003
Kingston,Ontario
Visit site

I bought this turntable in May and have been really happy with it so far.

RT81 High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable Record Player with Premium Cartridge & Diamond Needle | Fluance

Sleemans

Sleep Well Beast
Oct 4, 2003
Kingston,Ontario
Visit site
A couple of sites I have used to buy vinyl recently.

Vinyl LP Records, sleeves & accessories | Shop in Canada at Northern Volume!

They had a recent Canada Day sale with 10% everything, and I think they have sales quite often. I just received my first order, and it was packaged very well to protect vinyl, but I haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Shop | MusicVaultz

Just placed an order here the other day, so have not received it yet, but 15% off with code WELCOME.
I think that code only works with first order.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
A few weeks back I bought Kendrick Lamar "Damn" at Marshall's for 20$. Can't find it anywhere for less than 30 - 35$

I've purchased a lot of records from ebay and got some really good deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad