Music: Any vinyl collectors out here?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I got myself l'heptade XL (french canadians band from the 70s called Harmonium)

And I got a really neat Joe Dassin one (dans les yeux demilie.)

I have a collection of 200ish 33's.

Mostly used finds.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I got myself l'heptade XL (french canadians band from the 70s called Harmonium)

And I got a really neat Joe Dassin one (dans les yeux demilie.)

I have a collection of 200ish 33's.

Mostly used finds.
Not familiar with Quebec music but I did check out some of the Harmonium. cool stuff.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
No pics? Come on guys.

I got into collecting records around 2 years ago when I started making hip hop music. Here are a few of my favourites to spin (linked because I don't want to embed this massive image). Also I robbed that copy of Fantastic Damage from the guy I got it from lol. Got it for $50 CAD in great condition and the lowest copy on Discogs is $126 CAD.

http://i.imgur.com/lLVvzMK.jpg

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I started around 15 years ago. It was relatively cheap for a while, which was nice. There were even some solid finds at Salvation Army and Goodwill sometimes. These days I still check but it's usually Barbra Streisand and beat up classical records. I have some good stores nearby. Armageddon Records in Cambridge is incredible. Newbury Comics (New England chain) is good but pricey.

Last few I got are two Swell Maps records, an Unwound box set, Electric Warrior by T Rex, and Madvillainy. I probably have in the area of 800 or so. My aunt gave me all her records, which are in great shape. Mostly classic rock & some new wave stuff.

I'm always envious of people with rooms filled with records. Like John Cusack's apartment in High Fidelity. Maybe one day!

Great pic in the above post. Gotta have VU. And Fantastic Damage! Nice!

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
I've got tons of records but that's how you used to buy them back in the day tape or vinyl. I do hit record store day and record store day black Friday events to get things that are oop for the most part

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I went digging across Canada and NYC. Checked out 1 store in Paris that was pretty cool but by the time I went back it was closed down. Used to buy a lot from Ebay but the conversion rate just kills it now. There are some decent places in Ottawa that i stop by once and a while but it is getting harder and harder to find niceities.

I did find a rare classic Canadian hip hop 12" though.
Mathematik - Better by the Letter. Got it for 5$. Never been played. saw it on discogs and Ebay for 90$+.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I haven't bought one in years but I have a number of them from the late 80s and 90s that are now worth some coin. Quick example Soundgarden Superunknown clear orange edition which goes for about $150 these days.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SOUNDGARDEN-...181271?hash=item43f7cc7817:g:LHIAAOSw44BYDKJF

Lost of it is grunge like Pearl Jam and Nirvana but also some Metallica, Joe Satriani and I also like jazz guitarists so I have John McLaughlin, Aldo DiMeola, etc, etc.

A buddy of mine has a pretty huge collection that he took over from his father. Last count I think he was at close to 2000 albums.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Ha. A family member of mine owns a store on Long Island in Massapequa Park, NY. Probably over 10,000 LP's in the store, thousands of 45's, thousands of CD's, and a lot of music equipment. I know a lot of people prefer the sound of vinyl, and based on what genre/type of music you listen to, there is an audible difference compared to MP3.

Not that I want this to sound like an advertisement, but the vast majority of records in the store and CD's are $5 or less. Worth a look if anyone is local.

Personally, I have a little LP collection and a low end sony turntable, but I'm a bit lazy and mixed on sound quality, so I'm more of an IPOD/CD stereo guy. Have a great system for parties and rock and crap and decent sound quality, not amazing for HD/HQ audio listening though. My personal set-up is a Pioneer PD-M40 CD stereo, Yamaha RX-V863 receiver, Apple IPOD dock with stereo converter/output cable(great quality conversion I might add), connected to a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-15's, basstastic 4ft floor speakers. They'll shake you and your neighbors houses if you want them to. :)

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I visited a friend last weekend and she had an epic record collection that she had been given by her parents. Beatles, Dylan, Rush, The Eagles, Black Sabbath, and so on. Listened to some albums and was super jealous of her collection. Thinking about starting my own but I wouldn't even know where to start. Obviously getting a record player is probably step 1.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I visited a friend last weekend and she had an epic record collection that she had been given by her parents. Beatles, Dylan, Rush, The Eagles, Black Sabbath, and so on. Listened to some albums and was super jealous of her collection. Thinking about starting my own but I wouldn't even know where to start. Obviously getting a record player is probably step 1.

Obviously a record player is a must :laugh:

Flea markets, dedicated shops, etc. For records.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I buy most of my music on vinyl but I wouldn't call myself a "collector"...makes it sound like you have some sort of end goal, or that you're hunting for specific records or something. I just buy what I like.

It's gotten way less fun since vinyl has made a huge comeback and prices for records both new and old are now exorbitant because they're so trendy...

The last thing I bought was the repress of the Twin Peaks soundtrack. The only reason I bought it was because I had an Amazon giftcard, the price was otherwise absurd (case in point re: above).

I've been buying for probably 12 years now and have about 700, mostly "new" releases.

My Discogs profile is here, no idea how to separate out the records from everything else though: https://www.discogs.com/user/neversaywhen/collection

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
We've got a couple of local bars that have a pretty decent record collection that patrons can play instead of the typical digital jukebox or whatever. Its kind of a cool way to listen to some albums, especially older stuff obviously. I've noticed people are way more into the music that way it seems.

Personally, I find that I end up buying vinyl versions of stuff I aleady have digitally or CD. I guess it's because its something I really like, maybe that's strange I'm not sure.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I like the way these albums sound. It really encompasses the time in which they were produced and the skill/technique of the engineer. An album pressed in '77 sounds like '77. Now everything is digital so you loose something.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Sunrise Records bought out HMV & renewed interest in the vinyl will be a huge factor in their sales.

Is it true vinyl is outselling downloads ?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sunrise Records bought out HMV & renewed interest in the vinyl will be a huge factor in their sales.

I would think that is possible if you are looking at full albums. Also add that people seem to buy less digital music now and instead use streaming services.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I would think that is possible if you are looking at full albums. Also add that people seem to buy less digital music now and instead use streaming services.
People don't buy albums anymore, they rent songs. :(

I doubt vinyl is out selling downloads.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
People don't buy albums anymore, they rent songs. :(

I doubt vinyl is out selling downloads.

It is sad, I personally don't especially since a lot of the stuff I listen to is prog rock/metal and the albums often have themes etc that you can't just listen to one song.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

It did for one week, in the U.K., around Christmastime last year (because people buy records as presents, not digital downloads).

But vinyl is definitely still trending up while digital downloads are trending down thanks to streaming services.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad