Any Rookies out-performing your expectations?

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I'd say almost every rookie is performing better than I would have expected. It'll be interesting to see who can handle the grind over the last half of the year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Werenski for Calder.

Carlo, Tkachuk, and Malgin have all been under the radar good.

Laine and Marner have done very well to answer the hype.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Werenski easily fits that bill. You look at the stellar group of rookies this season and realize he's the best of them all. How many people would have bet on him with so many other big names to compete against.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Werenski easily fits that bill. You look at the stellar group of rookies this season and realize he's the best of them all. How many people would have bet on him with so many other big names to compete against.

I did predict he, Marner and Aho would be contending for the Calder.

2 out of 3 is not bad!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I wouldn't go that far right now but it could end up that way by seasons end. The way Laine is scoring goals I think he will win the calder if he finishes anywhere near 40 goals.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I did predict he, Marner and Aho would be contending for the Calder.

2 out of 3 is not bad!

You dared to go against the consensus? Good deal. :)
Aho looked fantastic on their recent westcoast trip and had a breakaway goal that was highlight of the night material for sure. He works really hard and has plenty of skill and now he's adjusting to the NHL and shining.
You made some great picks there. :thumbu:

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
Aside from a few poor games, Drake Caggiula has played great and has been a consistently dangerous player on the ice. He's a legit NHLer.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Carlo for me.

He is a 2nd rounder playing at similar level to the other high end 1st round D from his draft. The other guys all had high skill and draft pedigree so it was more expected.

Provy, Werenski, Marner, Matthews etc... were all expected to make the NHL in little time and have an impact on their team. That's one if the reasons they were sell taken so high.

If people knew Carlo would be this dependable so soon, he too would have been a 1st rounder.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Jets josh Morrisey has been absolutely great this year at the hardest position. Gonna be a stud #1D.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Marner and Joffrey Baratheon, I thought the leafs fans overrated their prospects. ( I still think that). Knew Matthews was gonna be good, he's a beast and merica'.

Gotta say, this is my favourite nickname in the league. The fact that Leafs fans have named him after someone who choked to death is just so poetic and would be ripe for parody on the off chance they ever make the playoffs.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Laine.

I thought he would score something like 20 goals the entire season and he already has 17. Not surprised about Aho at all, always looked at him as a very smart player and a steal.

Carlo and Werenski are both surprising me as well, the former being especially welcome. :)

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Laine, Marner, Werenski and Vesey. Matthews performing about how i expected, if he had a bit more puck luck though (Or better accuracy, depending on how you look at it :naughty: ) then him too, he could have a lot more goals. Murray also picking up from where he left off.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mantha's been unbelievable. Not sure he's lost a puck-battle yet. Could/should have twice the amount of points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad