Any Rookies out-performing your expectations?

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
For me its Werenski, admittedly I only really saw him at the world juniors, but I always viewed him as the 3rd best D in that draft behind Provorov and Hanifin, and I was expecting a #3 blue liner to be where he ended up. Boy is he proving me wrong, showing he belongs right up with them and a top pairing guy already.
Anyone significantly better than you were expecting?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Marner and Joffrey Baratheon, I thought the leafs fans overrated their prospects. ( I still think that). Knew Matthews was gonna be good, he's a beast and merica'.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Patrik Laine. I was really not expecting him to have that type of impact so soon.
Auston Matthews kid is dynamite really liking his game.
Mitch marner, knew he was super talented but never thought he would be so incredible so soon.

Those would be the main ones out of those i watch. Hearing great things about werenski and also pasta ( not sure he is a rookie tho) seems to be a really strong rookie year?

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Laine - I knew he'd be a star but still didn't expect this.

Carlo for Boston and Stecher for Vancouver. If Brady Skjei is still eligible as a rookie, him too.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Miles Wood is easily one of the fastest skaters I've ever seen. And I'm not exaggerating. His production isn't great so far, but he's had at least a breakaway and a drawn penalty in nearly every game he's played. Incredible speed and energy. He may even be faster than Hall and Hall is stupidly fast.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I expected 25 points from Laine. Now I guess he'll score more goals than that.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Honestly, I knew Laine was going to be a solid player down the road, but I wasn't expecting this from him. A true Superstar in the making!

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Marner and Laine. I expect them both to slow down. One has a slightly higher shooting % that will regress and the other has the greatest shooting % of all time which will regress without question.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Werenski is even better than I expected. I wasn't sure if Murray would keep up his level of performance from the playoffs, but he's still doing great. I didn't think Tkachuk would stay up for the season, but he's not only in the NHL but in fact doing very well for the Flames.

Marner, Laine, Vesey, Nylander and Matthews are all performing in line with my expectations.

I thought Puljujärvi and Connor might struggle a bit, but they're struggling even more than I expected.

NJGoalie

May 4, 2010
Kashyyyk
Provorov for me. I expected him to be a little shakier throughout the first half and maybe all season but after a somewhat rocky start he has come around and become our best all around defenseman already. I might get flamed for this but I honestly think he has Lidstrom-type potential the way he's playing right now. If he can improve on the minor hiccups and continue to round out his game he's going to be close to that level. He is just ice cold for us right now he's like the Terminator back there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad