Any particular reason you think that scoring is up?

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Lineups have way more younger/rookie players due to cap implications. They bring more speed & skill to the game but also make more mistakes.

Slow, heavy, mean, stay at home, defensive D men are becoming obsolete. Coaches don't want guys who just chip it out off the glass anymore. Emphasis now is towards puck moving guys which is increasing the quick transition game, helps scoring chances off the rush.

jford

Apr 21, 2015
Because the Calgary Flames are doing everything in there power to bring back the scoring of the 80's. We tried last year and we're leading the charge this year as well.

:laugh:

I'll go with small sample size myself.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Now I wouldn't be that quick to pin all the Leafs defensive woes and inability to hold a lead on the 3 prominent rookies on the roster. :sarcasm:

The Leafs are certainly doing their fair share to get the gpg up. If they feel they haven't scored enough on their own by late in the third they start letting some more in...

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
People who keep saying early season is always high scoring have not done their homework because that is false.
The reality is we haven't seen a season above 6 goals per game by this point since the 05/06 season. People who keep saying that this always happens are talking out of their ass and have absolutely no clue.

Were talking about a 4-6 game stretch I'm sure there were stretches of 6gpg last year and the year before... Etc.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Teams are built differently. It started four or so years ago, but it takes time to get prospects into the league. Skill and speed are why players are drafted now for the most part, even at the later picks.

Picking players that can bruise people up or play a mean game with "energy" aren't considered like they use to be. It's about speed and skill, not crushing players and fighting. I still see horrible reffing, so once they get their head out of their ***** and start calling all the hooks and interference it may go up still.

Hockey Joe

Dec 18, 2007
Montreal
People who keep saying early season is always high scoring have not done their homework because that is false.
The reality is we haven't seen a season above 6 goals per game by this point since the 05/06 season. People who keep saying that this always happens are talking out of their ass and have absolutely no clue.

Why don't you educate us clueless peasants with actual numbers instead of insults?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As a counter to "small sample size" argument, apparently (I heard Steve Kouleas say this this morning, FWIW), the sample size we have right now is generally representative of what the season's results will be, "within 0.2%" (I imagine he may have meant "within 0.2 GPG").

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Anybody got month by month comparative numbers for scoring? Maybe it just a sloppy October thing. With the short camp all the defensive system probably need some polish. Not to mention that all the best offensive players got a better camp during the World Tournament.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why don't you educate us clueless peasants with actual numbers instead of insults?

It's not hard to find the information if you use google. People don't even bother to check though, they just spout off as if they have a clue about what they are talking about without even checking to see if they are right.

Not to mention the articles that have been posted recently by a number of publications such as NHL.com, TSN, US today, Ottawa Citizen, Yahoo Sports, Sportsnet, National Post and CBC.

I mean all people have to do is a tiny bit of research to find out before talking as if what they are saying is gospel.

Hockey Joe

Dec 18, 2007
Montreal
It's not hard to find the information if you use google. People don't even bother to check though, they just spout off as if they have a clue about what they are talking about without even checking to see if they are right.

I did check and it's actually difficult to find. All I found was an article about a single season. Get off your high horse and tell us where to look because you sound just like the ones you're railing about.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
As a counter to "small sample size" argument, apparently (I heard Steve Kouleas say this this morning, FWIW), the sample size we have right now is generally representative of what the season's results will be, "within 0.2%" (I imagine he may have meant "within 0.2 GPG").

Yeah I've seen a few publications mention that. It seems to be a trend throughout almost every season dating back to the 70's. Scoring will go up or down by this point to the end of the season but it's usually not by much. The shortened season was the only odd one as scoring was unusually high around 7~ for the first few weeks but fell waaayyy down to the 5~ gpg area.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Dog

Goalies are taking it easier because they are scared the NHL will change their gear too much

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
(I posted this in another thread yesterday, and will paste it here):

Obviously far too early to assume anything's actually happening, but I have actually noticed higher scoring than usual and also a lot of 'bad' goals going in. (You could easily make a highlight...er, 'lowlight' reel of bad goals scored this season that would make early-80s' goaltending look great by comparison).

One thing that might affect scoring-levels is parity. The less parity between teams, the higher scoring gets.

Someone mentioned the World Cup, and I guess that might be a factor, too. Many top players (esp. offensive players) were coming in hot and already at peak level to start the season.

The other thing is youth. The younger core-players are, the higher scoring gets. Matthews and McDavid are typical of this trend. There are a lot of young top forwards now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What a jerk. And from the TSN article numbers, also clueless. On average, scoring is higher early in the season. Thanks for the link.

Not this high. So no. How am I a jerk? Because I'll do what everyone else is to lazy or inept to do? I'm not a babysitter guy. You want the information get it yourself. People would tell me off if I went into some other thread claiming something that wasn't true. You're the only one name calling here. Maybe you should take a step back and chill out for a second hey?

Another article for those who want everyone to look up things on google for them because they can't for some reason. :sarcasm:
http://www.tsn.ca/goalies-taking-a-beating-in-early-season-scoring-splurge-1.591330

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
More teams are running their most talented defensemen as the point guard of their offense, in higher expected goals-for situations.

Just a few years ago, defensive talent was mostly deployed in situations with a higher expected goals against.

It's really that simple. Coaches are buying into the "give your best players the most favorable minutes and hope everyone else holds serve" argument that is a pretty major thrust of advanced stats.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Power plays are up so far to the highest level since 09/10. That'll help a bit but its more than just that.

Hopefully it continues. We've been at historic low penalty calls for the last decade or so, while interference-hockey takes over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad