Any particular reason you think that scoring is up?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Right now scoring is at 6.1 gpg. 2006 was the last time a full season had GPG above 6. I think that's a pretty good spot for it. It certainly trumps the dead puck era numbers and is more like the 1995-'96 season if anything.

It's early, but it is a little surprising to see it that high.

Does anyone want to share the reasons why they think this is? Could it be two offensive teams playing in the Cup final last year with all that talent? A lot of young talent breaking out this year? A shift by coaches to play more wide open?

I don't think the goalie equipment crackdown is complete yet by the looks of it. There is still more to go. Power plays don't seem to be up by any means either.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Early season is always higher scoring. The push towards fast, offensively skilled d-men instead of strong defensive ones may also be starting to contribute to more goals both ways.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I am taking into account the whole idea of it being early in the year. The point is, when was the last time it was 6.1 GPG even at this point?

Autism

Sep 29, 2013
Ontario
Let's get through the first quarter of the season with above 6 gpg and you'll have me convinced.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I'm going to go off the board and say there has been an even greater influx of youth...who are offensively minded and inexperienced at good defence at the NHL level.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I am taking into account the whole idea of it being early in the year. The point is, when was the last time it was 6.1 GPG even at this point?

It would be great if someone had the numbers on this. I don't get the impression it's much more than simply teams still settling in as usual, though the bigger emphasis on puck moving defenders in recent years does make some sense

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
People who keep saying early season is always high scoring have not done their homework because that is false.
The reality is we haven't seen a season above 6 goals per game by this point since the 05/06 season. People who keep saying that this always happens are talking out of their ass and have absolutely no clue.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Imbalance in the ratio of good young forward talent coming up versus good young defender talent coming up.

Plus that it takes longer than ever for even good defenders to reach their prime effectiveness in the NHL due to how fast and systems-complex the game is now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

The last time we had above 6 goals per game by the 80 game mark was 2005/2006 season. We had a good dip over the last 12 games otherwise we were trending in the direction of the 1992/93 season. We've had a few nights where the average goals per game was over 7 over 6+ games. It's crazy.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Too many new players over performing based on pure excitement of playing in th league, it will go down soon enough.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
People who keep saying early season is always high scoring have not done their homework because that is false.
The reality is we haven't seen a season above 6 goals per game by this point since the 05/06 season. People who keep saying that this always happens are talking out of their ass and have absolutely no clue.

They are right in the sense that scoring does tend to go downwards as the season progresses. They are also wrong because of what you just mentioned.

I don't know how to explain this. As sexy as the influx of youth theory is, I don't buy it.

I remember the game I watched in the first week were filled with sloppiness and pretty questionable goaltending. Goal totals have come down since then as the teams have been shoring up their play. Maybe this boost of goals early on will give a slight boost to the end season totals but I still expect that it won't be much different than recent years at the end of the day.

We will probably look back to this early season spurt and see it as a blip on the radar.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
because of the big 3 (Marner,Nylander,Matthews):sarcasm: but seriously the nhl always finds a way to equal itself out.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

They are right in the sense that scoring does tend to go downwards as the season progresses. They are also wrong because of what you just mentioned.

I don't know how to explain this. As sexy as the influx of youth theory is, I don't buy it.

I remember the game I watched in the first week were filled with sloppiness and pretty questionable goaltending. Goal totals have come down since then as the teams have been shoring up their play. Maybe this boost of goals early on will give a slight boost to the end season totals but I still expect that it won't be much different than recent years at the end of the day.

We will probably look back to this early season spurt and see it as a blip on the radar.

Last year actually had a slight increase after the TD. Key injuries to goaltenders can really screw with things too. Having guys like McDavid, Crosby, Malkin and the likes healthy could lead to an increase in goals overall, however slight, just in itself.

If we can make it through october at a 6+gpg pace then we should see some higher overall totals amongst the top guys in the league.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Because the Calgary Flames are doing everything in there power to bring back the scoring of the 80's. We tried last year and we're leading the charge this year as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad