Speculation: Any Oilers will go to the Worlds?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think maybe the only guys that will have spots guaranteed for them would be McDavid and Draisaitl.

Anyone hear if these guys will make their way over to Europe? Or anyone else I haven't mentioned?

Yeah they played lots of hockey this year, but World Championship experience never hurts, and I selfishly would like to watch them play some more games.

Plus, I think the tournament is half scheduled in Leon's hometown. Perhaps he can create some more excitement about hockey in Germany.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm surprised Drai is going to be honest. Going back to the start of September with the Olympic qualifiers tournament and into the World Cup, he's played more than 100 games this season.

Dude is a workhorse. He deserves some rest lol.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Can just tell Drai loves to play hockey. I imagine there is some sort of loyalty factor too. Probably feels like he has to play for Germany as he easily the best player they have.

optimism

Jun 28, 2015
Edmonton
I'm pretty sure a lot of the reason Draisaitl would want to go is that Cologne, Germany, his hometown, is hosting the tournament. (along with Paris)

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
I'm pretty sure a lot of the reason Draisaitl would want to go is that Cologne, Germany, his hometown, is hosting the tournament. (along with Paris)
I think that's the only reason he is going. Draisaitl has no contract for next year and if he gets a serious injury playing that would be a lot of money lost.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm not surprised that Drai is going. Yeah he needs the rest but he's the face of German hockey and he needs to be there, in my opinion. He'll get into very few games anyway and he can rest afterward.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
It's gonna be weird seeing Draisaitl suit up for Germany... One day he's battling it out for the Oilers, the next he's on the other side of the planet playing for Germany.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I'm not surprised that Drai is going. Yeah he needs the rest but he's the face of German hockey and he needs to be there, in my opinion. He'll get into very few games anyway and he can rest afterward.

Not only that but Germany is doing pretty okay this tourney. Great opportunity to try to grow the game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Personally I like that team Canada is headed by players from loser teams, who have chips on their shoulders. I'd rather that players from recently eliminated playoff teams didn't flood the Worlds roster.

Drai should burn himself out representing Germany though, of course. He has time to rest. Also, despite what I said about Canada, they should get Talbot. Or maybe Holtby instead.

I like the idea of Maroon going for USA, and for Sweden to just jam in a Klef-Lars pairing.

I don't know Sekera's status but he shouldn't play no matter what.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I just read on Reddit that Drai is going to Germany. I'm shocked. He MUST be healthy if he's going... but holy cow. All the way to the last shift on that game 7 you could see him giving it his all.

8MX8 years. :cry:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I just read on Reddit that Drai is going to Germany. I'm shocked. He MUST be healthy if he's going... but holy cow. All the way to the last shift on that game 7 you could see him giving it his all.

The finals being in Germany probably played a big role.. he is pretty much going home.

Also..lets not talk about the last shifts of game 7... Drai was horrible making one unforced error after another..
6Mx4yrs

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

He's going home to visit his folks and is pissed about the Ana series.

If it were me I'd need to be on the ice as soon as possible and not moping around while my mother tells me how proud she is and instead of a pep talk my Dad just snoozes on the couch.... just sayin'

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Personally I like that team Canada is headed by players from loser teams, who have chips on their shoulders. I'd rather that players from recently eliminated playoff teams didn't flood the Worlds roster.

Drai should burn himself out representing Germany though, of course. He has time to rest. Also, despite what I said about Canada, they should get Talbot. Or maybe Holtby instead.

I like the idea of Maroon going for USA, and for Sweden to just jam in a Klef-Lars pairing.

I don't know Sekera's status but he shouldn't play no matter what.

I'd also like that, they are very much under the radar in Sweden, but there is no room unfortunately.

Hedman-Stralman
OEL-Brodin
Edler-Klingberg

There is room for a 7th D and I guess any one of them could get that call. The team this year looks very good with Backstrom and Lundqvist being the latest additions, and those years players tend to come when asked, even if it is to be 7th D.

Edit:

Larsson
I would have to say no if asked to come and play. I have been playing with a shoulder injury and also some other minor injuries.

Klefbom
I am aware of that the WHC team has great D so I am not counting on getting asked to go.
But if they would ask? Could you play even though you just came back from injury?
In that case I would have to hear what the Oilers management has to say about it. I am not closing that door completely, but it is not sure I could go. And as I said, from what I have understood they are looking for right now is to strenghten the forward group.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Can just tell Drai loves to play hockey. I imagine there is some sort of loyalty factor too. Probably feels like he has to play for Germany as he easily the best player they have.

I think he is excited.

He has always loved playing for the national team and right now he has the chance to play on home ice. That is a pretty big ******* deal for a Euro player. I know perceptions are different in NA of course, but don't underestimate the importance of the national teams and WHC for most Euro players.

Just look at someone like Nylander, who actually spent many years in NA growing up, he still was super excited and said it was a dream come true to dress up and play in the WHC.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Not only that but Germany is doing pretty okay this tourney. Great opportunity to try to grow the game.

Germany is sitting 4th and he's the biggest name in German hockey. They beat the USA and with Drai certainly have a chance to make a push for the quarter finals. If the WC was in Toronto McDavid would be going. If the WC was in Moscow/St. Petersburg any non-injured Russian would go.

He'd probably be flying back to Cologne anyways, so what... he's going to come back and NOT play? Small chance boyos.

He had the 70+ point season, lead the Oilers in playoff scoring including the clutch 5 point game, now he has a chance to further his legend. srs.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I believe Canada can add a d-man due to injuries

but I believe that their roster is full

Russia did what they do every year and hold open two spots for last minute adds

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
TBH, I could care less if the players from the Oilers don't want to go to the Worlds. They played very well in the playoffs and deserve a break. But all to them if they want to play for their country. I'm just glad we aren't loading team Canada like we did in the past :laugh:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I believe Canada can add a d-man due to injuries

but I believe that their roster is full

Russia did what they do every year and hold open two spots for last minute adds

Yeah, so that they can add Ovechkin after the Capitals annual second round collapse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad