Proposal: Any interest in Buff?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Interesting conversation. I love Martin Jones, but we need to see how the Hutchinson angle plays out, we may have abhigh end starter without having to give up anything.

Zykov and a 2015 first may make this work. Need to know a little more about him though.

Last edited:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I agree with the value of some of our best prospects too but we also have to ask when they are making the team and over who. Does a guy like Zykov really help with this cup window etc

Yes.... the reason here is that in order to maintain the salaries structure the Kings have, they have to bring in young guys on ELC's. So next year Zykov may not be 100% ready, think about how Pearson/Toffoli looked when they just came up, but if he could be a productive player for 800k it would have a huge impact...

Kings are going to need to find a way to save money on the cap. This is why McNabb at 650k was a great pick up. His cap hit allows the Kings to keep other players.

Of the guys that look like they may make the jump next season the Kings have Forbort/Weal/Shore/Zykov..... with long shots (Kempe for age, Porky from KHL).

Buff would be great this year... looking at next year though the Kings are going to have to move salary out... even without making a trade for Buff

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Interesting conversation. I love Martin Jones, but we need to see how the Hutchinson angle plays out, we may have abhigh end starter without having to give up anything.

Zykov and a 2015 first may make this work. Need to know a little more about him though.

Well our scouts are really high on him when we drafted him. Top line talent i think 2nd line at worst. We traded up to get him. I honestly don't see him as available as well Any chance a 2nd 15 /1st 16 jones regher (cap reasons) works ?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I just respectfully disagree. It's just a different philosophy I'm working from. I agree Zykov is a pretty blue chip prospect, but to me, we are looking at challenging for something that hasn't been done in ages with 3 cups in 4 years. If you get the chance to beef up the current team, IMO you have to take it, especially since it's not as if Zykov helps us with that. 3 cups in 4 years vs holding on to a prospect that COULD be a good winger down the line is a no brainer in my mind. I'm not advocating throwing away the farm and obviously it's debatable but if you think Buff or anyone else is the piece that fits you swing for it.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
And its one good prospect out of several. In a deal that could conceivably save us cap space for next year while also making us better.

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
And its one good prospect out of several. In a deal that could conceivably save us cap space for next year while also making us better.

And it's not even like Zykov is our only blue chip LW prospect. Kempe is going to be better from everything I've seen, read, and heard.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If we got Byfuglien, I wonder if we would even use him on defense. Could you imagine that freight train clearing space for Kopitar and Gaborik?

Byfuglien - Kopitar - Gaborik
Pearson - Carter - Toffoli
Brown - Richards - Williams
King - Stoll - Lewis
Clifford, Nolan

member 88115

If we got Byfuglien, I wonder if we would even use him on defense. Could you imagine that freight train clearing space for Kopitar and Gaborik?

Byfuglien - Kopitar - Gaborik
Pearson - Carter - Toffoli
Brown - Richards - Williams
King - Stoll - Lewis
Clifford, Nolan

Buff would be a great player to dig the puck off the boards for Kopitar and Gaborik

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I just respectfully disagree. It's just a different philosophy I'm working from. I agree Zykov is a pretty blue chip prospect, but to me, we are looking at challenging for something that hasn't been done in ages with 3 cups in 4 years. If you get the chance to beef up the current team, IMO you have to take it, especially since it's not as if Zykov helps us with that. 3 cups in 4 years vs holding on to a prospect that COULD be a good winger down the line is a no brainer in my mind. I'm not advocating throwing away the farm and obviously it's debatable but if you think Buff or anyone else is the piece that fits you swing for it.

Yeah **** it... go for big Buff...

if Kinger is included in the trade going the other way for Buff at 50% the cap is about 17,000 over if Voynov comes back... The Kings should be able to bank 17,000 by the trade deadline... Now if Voynov comes back bump Buff up to forward.

if Voynov isn't coming back the Kings will need to trade for another D anyways.

Now next summer become interesting... would they let Buff walk... Kings will be up against the cap, and probably already losing some guys... or do they sign Buff and trade someone else to help recover some assets?

Trading for a solid D that can be moved to forward could really help the Kings with flexibility through the Voynov situation.... any other D (other then Burns) that could be targeted?

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Yeah **** it... go for big Buff...

if Kinger is included in the trade going the other way for Buff at 50% the cap is about 17,000 over if Voynov comes back... The Kings should be able to bank 17,000 by the trade deadline... Now if Voynov comes back bump Buff up to forward.

if Voynov isn't coming back the Kings will need to trade for another D anyways.

Now next summer become interesting... would they let Buff walk... Kings will be up against the cap, and probably already losing some guys... or do they sign Buff and trade someone else to help recover some assets?

Trading for a solid D that can be moved to forward could really help the Kings with flexibility through the Voynov situation.... any other D (other then Burns) that could be targeted?

Big boy has another year on his deal doesn't he?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Buff on the team at a reduced cap hit for another season is literally the entire reason I was interested in him lol. I didn't even think about him as a forward, though; his possession numbers as a defenceman were so interesting I was sold on that alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad