any idiot can buy a hockey ticket

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
and many idiots will

but this particular idiot won't be springing for tickets out of my hard earned cash if Eugene wants to ice a bargain basement team knowing the revenues associated with the new TV deals.

its a two way street....if we were in the bottom fifth of revenue I could understand it but we haven't been there for a long time and with these new TV deals he can't claim to be losing 9 - 10 M a year (even though most here seem to think that is BS)

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well said.

But I guarantee I will cave and end up spending money on the team.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
and many idiots will

but this particular idiot won't be springing for tickets out of my hard earned cash if Eugene wants to ice a bargain basement team knowing the revenues associated with the new TV deals.

its a two way street....if we were in the bottom fifth of revenue I could understand it but we haven't been there for a long time and with these new TV deals he can't claim to be losing 9 - 10 M a year (even though most here seem to think that is BS)

Love the thread title. Made me laugh out loud. Knew exactly what it was about when I read it. A perfect rebuttal. :handclap:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Any idiot can think his not buying 3 or 4 tickets a year will make a difference. The reality is that attendance is only part of the pie when it comes to an NHL team's revenue. Corporate sponsorship is another substantial chunk of that pie, and that is where the Senators are hurting due to the federal government employing so many people in the city. Unless Im mistaken

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He sees the same thing as people see at the CTC from his TV but saves thousands.

Blankie must be +10 intelligence.

Ahh yes, spoken like a true Sens fan. There you go ladies and gentlemen, our exceptional fanbase!

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
Ahh yes, spoken like a true Sens fan. There you go ladies and gentlemen, our exceptional fanbase!

Are you not a Sens fan or do you just have low self-esteem?

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
A bargain basement team haha. What a joke. Show me one quote where Eugene says we'll be a bargain basement team (floor team I'd assume you meant)

Not spending right to the cap and being a floor team are quite different.

I like where your head is at though. In fact maybe nobody should buy tickets anymore an we can run this team right out of town!! Great idea!

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
You don't have to buy NHL tickets with so many freebies available from sponsors. You just need the right contacts.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
You don't have to buy NHL tickets with so many freebies available from sponsors. You just need the right contacts.

My dad always worked at City Hall before retiring a few years ago. You'd think he'd get a lots of tickets.

But no.

Damn city.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Are you not a Sens fan or do you just have low self-esteem?

In this city, people who are ticket buyers are real fans, thick and thin. It irks me to no end to hear these sniveling, whiny fans constantly crying, gnashing their teeth over and over again.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion in a forum. So my opinion is there are a bunch of lousy fans who stick around here... I don't know why. Most fans just ***** about the team, that is what fans do. Hell, I do too about the team.

But then you have a segment that say they are going to stay home, don't buy tickets. Those I don't get. Ever.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I dont get this, its such a stupid approach, and one that shows just how spoiled a lot of Ottawa sports fans seem to be.

I moved to Vancouver a few years ago for school. My friends have grown up with horrible ownership groups while paying AT LEAST 50 bucks a ticket for the absolute nosebleeds. Since the lockout, that number has been closer to 70 bucks.

I come back to Ottawa to visit for a few days, and I can go see 2 hockey games, bring in a bag of trail mix both times, and spend under 50 bucks. Maybe even under 25, depending on the teams we face.

Do you know how lucky you are to be in a market where tickets are available for Peanuts? For literally the price of two Mtl Forum beers? You want a team that spends money? Then support them enough so they dont need to make the playoffs to make money.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I dont get this, its such a stupid approach, and one that shows just how spoiled a lot of Ottawa sports fans seem to be.

I moved to Vancouver a few years ago for school. My friends have grown up with horrible ownership groups while paying AT LEAST 50 bucks a ticket for the absolute nosebleeds. Since the lockout, that number has been closer to 70 bucks.

I come back to Ottawa to visit for a few days, and I can go see 2 hockey games, bring in a bag of trail mix both times, and spend under 50 bucks. Maybe even under 25, depending on the teams we face.

Do you know how lucky you are to be in a market where tickets are available for Peanuts? For literally the price of two Mtl Forum beers? You want a team that spends money? Then support them enough so they dont need to make the playoffs to make money.

Welcome to Ottawa, the land of the privileged, entitled hockey fan

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
In this city, people who are ticket buyers are real fans, thick and thin. It irks me to no end to hear these sniveling, whiny fans constantly crying, gnashing their teeth over and over again.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion in a forum. So my opinion is there are a bunch of lousy fans who stick around here... I don't know why. Most fans just ***** about the team, that is what fans do. Hell, I do too about the team.

But then you have a segment that say they are going to stay home, don't buy tickets. Those I don't get. Ever.

I just look at it from a business standpoint. If you've got a good product, it follows that people will pay money for it. That's typically the order of operations, not the other way around. My allegiance will always be to the Ottawa Senators, but hell even the players are after a good product. Even Alfie, face of the franchise himself, cut bait and went to Detroit. Why? To have a better shot at the Cup. There have been concerns lately about Melnyk's commitment to the team if only because his public statements have often been very contradictory and worrisome. And blah blah blah... there's more to it, but it's been a long day and I've kind of lost interest in the debate. Have a good one.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'd rather buy tickets to watch a ****** NHL team in my city then not have one to go watch. That's what will happen if everyone stops buying tickets regardless of whatever reason they use to justify being cheap.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Once again, we're a small market team, nothing has changed in our franchise history. We had a large payroll for two years of our teams entire existence.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't care about how much money the team spends on player salaries. If you can get by without spending insane sums of cash, then by all means do so.

Now, if this team doesn't have one or both of Jason Spezza and Ales Hemsky on it next year then I will not be giving any of my money to this organization. I'm a season seat holder, and absolutely love game days and this hockey team but I have to draw a line at some point. If Toronto fans didn't support their team so blindly, they wouldn't be used to such futility. You have to do your talking with your wallet with people like Melnyk. The exodus of talent from this organization needs to stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad