Any Habs Jersey's that should NOT have been retired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yozzy

Feb 19, 2012
I'm not too well versed in the history of the Montreal Canadiens, but I'm just wondering if any of the numbers shouldn't have been retired in retrospect.

Did the franchise just over do it, or does each player with a retired numbers truly deserve it?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well I feel there are too many but that's just a personal opinion. All of the players up there were fantastic in their own right.

I just feel for a franchise with this much success, it should only be the legends that are retired, guys that transcended the sport.

A1

Everything is awful
Oct 15, 2005
Montreal, Qc
I wish we just did the leafs thing, sucks that all those great numbers can't be used any more.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
All except 4, 7 and 9 should be fair game. Maybe 10. The 70's dynasty certainly didn't need seven retired jerseys.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
All except 4, 7 and 9 should be fair game. Maybe 10. The 70's dynasty certainly didn't need seven retired jerseys.

I'd say the only ones that should be retired are 4 and 9.
Its nice but these 2, especially Maurice helped shape the team IMHO.

Err I meant identity of the team.

feds91

May 17, 2004
we only retire Hall of Famers while other teams retire Ken Daneyko, Trevor Linden, Adam Graves, Thomas Steen. :shakehead

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'd say the only ones that should be retired are 4 and 9.
Its nice but these 2, especially Maurice helped shape the team IMHO.

Err I meant identity of the team.

I'd say you need to add Plante and Harvey because those two revolutionized the game at their respective positions. Morenz because he is considered the best player of the first half of the century.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If there's one too much, Bouchard.
If there's two, Cournoyer.
If there is three, Gainey.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Did you see them play? Do you understand their significance to the team and the game in general?

It's okay to have an opinion, but without direct experience or context, the value of the opinion is diminished.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Gainey basically invented the role of a defensive centre in the NHL and he was the best at it EVER. Not sure how his number isn't retired after his hall of fame career.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

I am going to guess that you are not old enough to remember those teams.

Its OK if you are that young though. It's understandable that you really havent seen greatness from the Habs over the last 20 years.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Gainey basically invented the role of a defensive centre in the NHL and he was the best at it EVER. Not sure how his number isn't retired after his hall of fame career.

Ummm, his number is retired. Controversially, while he was GM.

He's also in the HOF.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Tacky thread (no offense).

All are HOFer's.

All are multiple cup winners.

All are Hab legends in their eras.

Hell, put Toe Blake up there too. :handclap:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It's hard not to honour a HHOF player...

If he's great relative to the entire hockey world, how is he not great enough for montreal?

That being said, should've retired a few, honoured the rest.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Wow, all the guys who have had their numbers retired are legends who won many cups. They deserve it. There's plenty of other numbers people can select.

Let's just be glad we're not desperate like Toronto who retired Gilmour and Wendel Clark.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
5 Stanley Cups. 4 years out of the first 5 he won the Selke.The year he didn't, he won the Conn Smythe. Captain of the team.

Viktor Tikhonov called him the best player on the planet.

And Hall of Famer with all games played for us.

Somebody like Gilmour (who does deserve to be in the hall) only played a short time in Toronto and for us. It's not like we're retiring his number.

I can't argue with a single retired number.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I meant to say how anyone can argue his number shouldn't be retired. I'm well aware it's already retired and should be.

After re-reading your post, I can see what you meant.

I agree that he should be. The most dominant defensive forward ever in the league, IMO.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Lafleur, M.Richard, Beliveau, Harvey, Morenz and Plante are the legendary players.

Then you have Robinson, Dryden, H.Richard, Geoffrion and Roy.(Arguably Robinson could be in the first tier,and Roy would if he played all his career in MTL).

Then Savard, Lapointe, Moore and Lach.

You then end up with Cournoyer, Bouchard and Gainey.

The last three are arguable, and they certainly shouldn't have had their number retired before players like Newsy Lalonde, George Vezina, Aurele Joliat or Toe Blake.These last four should all have their numbers retired.

Dick Duff

Feb 17, 2014
Edmonton
"Gainey basically invented the role of a defensive centre in the NHL and he was the best at it EVER. Not sure how his number isn't retired after his hall of fame career."

Gainet played left wing….

"Viktor Tikhonov called him the best player on the planet.”

No, he called him the best ‘two-way’ player in the game.

Sorry, I am old enough to remember.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad