Any free wallets available this year

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Yup, those EMPTY roster spots are more valuable than prospects. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Yeah because having a terrible, overpopulated prospect pool and signing a bunch of nobodies that won't even make the AHL is more valuable than having space to make efficient trades and gain actual DRAFTED PROSPECTS via trades from other teams.. for say.. our UFA's? :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
burn....good one....:handclap::handclap:

:laugh: i didn't mean it as so much as a burn - I just mean that it's very limiting to go "don't draft any NCAA players" I figured, if you play sports in america you're part of the NCAA right? which means Eichel is an NCAA player. it's just that he'll be drafted

[right?]

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I wouldn't have a problem with adding a couple of college kids. We should be moving out a few bodies (Santorelli, Winnik, Franson) at the deadline for picks so I'm not worried about the 50 man limit.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Stay away from them. We're still suffering with Bozak. They are free for a reason.

I'll take an NHL quality player for free any day of the week, and that's what Bozak is. It's not his fault he was given a big contract and is played in situations above his ability.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Yeah because having a terrible, overpopulated prospect pool and signing a bunch of nobodies that won't even make the AHL is more valuable than having space to make efficient trades and gain actual DRAFTED PROSPECTS via trades from other teams.. for say.. our UFA's? :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

If UFA's walk or traded, it frees up roster spots. What pray tell are you drinking?

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
My God some of you are whiny. As if people are complaining because they don't want another Bozak or something. He is currently on the block that is going to get us some decent assets. That's good asset management considering all he ever cost was a roster spot and we got some decent years out of him. Sure he isn't the best center in the league, but at least he is better than the alternative we could have been icing the last number of years.

Durkin67

Funny thing is people bought it. He said something about the player he brought in was the equal of 3 first rounders, or something like that.

The idea was to create some internal competition and to make guys start pushing themselves and earning call ups instead of inheriting them by virtue of the fact that there was nobody challenging for those spots.

There was definite method to the madness but you'd have to be at objective to acknowledge it. Not a strong suit among most around these parts.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
If UFA's walk or traded, it frees up roster spots. What pray tell are you drinking?

What if we trade a dion phaneuf for 2 prospects and then a santorelli for 2 prospects, oh WOW now we can't trade again!!!

And hey, if you want to try the dinosaur burke method of signing a billion college guys then having them all become nothing go ahead!

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Oh nice, leafs nation already scouting for the next Bozak; just in time for current Bozak to be traded.

:handclap:

I don't want any part of any player associated with NCAA. No thank you. We have had enough NCAA developed bums in our lineup as is.

toews1.jpg

http://collegehockeyinc.com/pages/2014-15-alums-nhl

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
What if we trade a dion phaneuf for 2 prospects and then a santorelli for 2 prospects, oh WOW now we can't trade again!!!

And hey, if you want to try the dinosaur burke method of signing a billion college guys then having them all become nothing go ahead!

Somethings in life are hopeless.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton

these prospects you speak of will probably be under the slide rule anyways and wouldn't count against any contract spot.

Where does the idiocy of this fanbase come from holy cow

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not wanting a college free agent because you don't like how Bozak turned out is like saying the leafs should never draft from the OHL because Broll looked like a bust. It should always come down to the merits of each individual player.

NCAA is a great hockey league, which has helped develope some of the best players currently in the NHL. 2 out of the likely top 3 of this years NHL draft are likely heading the college route.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

What is wrong with you man? Not every trade has to be 2 players to the leafs for 1 . Usually they are even contract wise.:shakehead

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If I had to guess I'm betting Detroit are wishing they didn't waste a contract spot on signing DeKeyser as couple years ago. Just a guess though.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
these prospects you speak of will probably be under the slide rule anyways and wouldn't count against any contract spot.

Where does the idiocy of this fanbase come from holy cow

Slide Rule only counts for teenagers playing in junior. Also, once an NCAA player signs a professional contract, they are no longer allowed to play in the NCAA.

I agree with you though, some of these arguments against college FA are just... smh
"We once got an NHL player for free which turned out to not be as good as we needed him to be, we should never try to get a free wallet again!"

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Speaking of free wallets. I hope nobody gets to wound up if or when we don't get much for Bozak. I would be ecstatic with a second rounder this draft at any position.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Slide Rule only counts for teenagers playing in junior. Also, once an NCAA player signs a professional contract, they are no longer allowed to play in the NCAA.

I agree with you though, some of these arguments against college FA are just... smh
"We once got an NHL player for free which turned out to not be as good as we needed him to be, we should never try to get a free wallet again!"

Yeah I know but we're bound to get teenagers in CHL for some of the players we move out, or even NCAA prospects who haven't signed a contract yet (like Gardiner). This wouldn't count against roster spots.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
burn....good one....:handclap::handclap:

What burn....Both of those players were stars before going to the Ncaa
And drafted before they graduated. We are talking about undrafted players who are graduating from College....not players all ready identified as top players who will be drafted in their Draft year..

Hence the term free wallets

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
If I had to guess I'm betting Detroit are wishing they didn't waste a contract spot on signing DeKeyser as couple years ago. Just a guess though.

Yeah we should just trade all of our early picks for late rounders because the wings got a zetterberg or datsyuk in the late round

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Despite me hating Bozak being on this team, he was still a VERY GOOD pick-up and definitely a NHL caliber player (just not a first line center type). He'd be great as a 3rd line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad