Any Dmen available out there???

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Per my post on the Cpt Kirk rating thread.

We have Sangs and Corvo fighting out for that last Dman spot right now. There must be a better alternative out there somewhere. I am thinking a defensive dman, but am open for suggestions. It just cant be Sangs if we are hoping to finish in good playoff position in this shortened season.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
other than the goal last night (which itself is a little iffy as to whether any of our Dmen would have had the time to do anything differently than he did) what else did he do to warrant being thrown under the bus AGAIN.

Beardy*

other than the goal last night (which itself is a little iffy as to whether any of our Dmen would have had the time to do anything differently than he did) what else did he do to warrant being thrown under the bus AGAIN.

He kind of strikes me as a little panicky with the puck. There were a few times he kind of flubbed his possession or his pass was a little off.

But then again, having him up in the NHL is a bit of a surprise for him, so I'm willing to cut him some slack this season. He's getting 3rd line minutes, and I'd much rather have him out there every night than Corvo. Get him more minutes and get him confidence, and he could turn into a decent player. Who knows.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Sanguinetti is almost 25. That puts him older than Tlusty, Jordan, McBain and way older than Skinner and Faulk. He just doesn't look like he'll ever be an NHL player.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
What about Douglas Murray?

Main board discussion someone suggested

Char + 3rd for Murray

Yes, that was me who suggested that :) But yes, Sharks have an abundance of young defensemen that allow them to trade one for a bottom-6 asset (they happen to have a need for a third line winger). I also think this package structure would work with the Avs for Shane O'Brien or, if we pay up a little more, for the Ducks' Toni Lydman.

I'd be hesitant to do that, not because I like Chad, but becauase Sharks fans seem to hate Murray.

If you think about it, some Panthers' fans hated Bryan Allen's style of defense when we acquired him, and he was absolutely the right fit for the role. Murray is very much an Allen-type defensemen, except on a more reasonable contract. Slow, yet a good stay-at-home defensemen that's great at PKing and shot-blocking.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The problem I have with Murray is that he's slow. Like, noticably slow. Skating in molasses slow. With the kind of offense we're running, I don't think we can use a defenseman that'll have trouble getting up the ice. And with the kind of defense we're running, we can't use a defense that'll get beat wide by any kind of speedy forward (IE: Kessel from last night).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Marc Staal

We can only dream :D :naughty:

But seriously, another idea is Jay Bouwmeester. Though the Flames are always reluctant to give up their core assets for a re-tooling, this year might be the year they finally say enough is enough. You never know :laugh: Plus, we're one of the few teams that would be willing to take all 2 years/$5.8M per. I once suggested this on the Flames board, and they all thought this was fair value:

Joe Corvo (expiring/$2M)
Drayson Bowman
1st Round Pick 2013

for

Jay Bouwmeester

Defense after my two proposed trades:

Pitkanen-Bouwmeester
Gleason-Faulk
Harrison-Murray
Sanguinetti

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I know a Ranger buddy of mine is starting to sour on Marc. Apparently, Marc's starting to get more of an offensive-mindset at the cost of some of his defensive responsibilities.

So by the time Carolina acquires him, he'll be Joe Corvo.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Well, if that is the case, then it is clear he really is trying to impress JR and end up here in the near future. JR loves his offensive defensemen.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For a defenseman that is supposedly focusing on offense, he only has 6 SOG in 8 games. That's less than even Gleason has.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
From what little I've seen of the Rangers this year, he's right about Marc. He's been joining the rush more often, and sometimes finds himself in front of the opposing goaltender (I believe he's gotten at least 1 goal this year doing that).

And he's definitely made some...interesting...decisions in the defensive zone that have led to goals.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
He's lowering his trade value by making terrible decisions to dramatically decrease what we have to give New York. What a team player!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Obrien out here in co is available. He would fit the idea of the Allen role, though not nearly as good at it. Very up and down career, catch him on an up and it would be very beneficial to us.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Duck's Fans are really hating on Allen right now... Maybe Allen would make a good Allen replacement?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Niskanen or Despres make sense from the Pens.

Hamrlik or Erskine are UFAs in the offseason if Washington continues its struggles until the deadline.

Anton's a UFA at the end of the year, and Calgary's last in the West. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad