Any DISCGOLFERS in here?

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I just started playing two weeks ago and got instantly hooked.

It is the perfect complement for me after my knees stopped me from playing soccer a few years back.

It seems to be a growing sport, hopefully there are some more D-golfers in here? ☺️

Reactions: valeriammm

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I went disc golfing yesterday. I cut my hand by accidentally swinging it into a tree. So maybe that's not the sport for me.

Reactions: max21

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I went disc golfing yesterday. I cut my hand by accidentally swinging it into a tree. So maybe that's not the sport for me.

I had the same kind of misfortune my first time. In my soccer career I dealt with injuries all the time and kept on getting new and weird ones. Then when we tried discgolf, my buddies said that this was finally a sport where not even I could get any injuries.

The first time out, I threw my back out, trying to get that nice whip-effect I had seen the pro's get.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I had the same kind of misfortune my first time. In my soccer career I dealt with injuries all the time and kept on getting new and weird ones. Then when we tried discgolf, my buddies said that this was finally a sport where not even I could get any injuries.

The first time out, I threw my back out, trying to get that nice whip-effect I had seen the pro's get.

Yeah, I've went with my friends every now and then and it is a lot of fun. Unfortunately the summer in Finland was the crappiest in a while and there wasn't many days I wanted to do anything outside. :laugh:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Oh ya! Love the sport and have been playing on and off for the last 18 years and I still can't putt worth a s***:laugh: I've played almost every course in the Provence of BC and Alberta and have amassed quite the collection of disc's through tournament winnings.

I play primarily with Innova disc's but I'm a old school guy and haven't really switched over to the newer faster plastic except for a couple of disc's. I love my Valkyries, TeeBirds, Rocs and Cobras and can't seem to put them down for newer plastics because I know exactly what their going to do coming out of my hand.

If your serious about the sport then do your research on disc's before you start purchasing them and I'd stick with Innova or Discraft as their the best disc's made IMHO.

Discgolf is just like real golf where your clubs will all do something different, the disc's will all do something different as well. Every disc has a rating and it's speed,glide,turn and fade. They also all range in weight from 160g-175g. When purchasing your drivers or midrange disc's pay attention to the "turn" rating of those disc's as that will let you know how stable it is. Your going to want these disc's under stable so they turn over a bit and you get maximum distance but your also going to need super stable ones to sidearm or get around a tree. Putters are easy...get the one that feels good in your hand and your comfortable with. The only time your going to switch out your putter is in hi winds and your going to grab the heaviest one. Heavier disc's work better in big wind.

As a beginner I would suggest that you keep all your disc's around 167g-170g in weight.

I wish ya the best of luck and if you have any questions then please ask away

:cheers:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Oh ya! Love the sport and have been playing on and off for the last 18 years and I still can't putt worth a s***:laugh: I've played almost every course in the Provence of BC and Alberta and have amassed quite the collection of disc's through tournament winnings.

I play primarily with Innova disc's but I'm a old school guy and haven't really switched over to the newer faster plastic except for a couple of disc's. I love my Valkyries, TeeBirds, Rocs and Cobras and can't seem to put them down for newer plastics because I know exactly what their going to do coming out of my hand.

If your serious about the sport then do your research on disc's before you start purchasing them and I'd stick with Innova or Discraft as their the best disc's made IMHO.

Discgolf is just like real golf where your clubs will all do something different, the disc's will all do something different as well. Every disc has a rating and it's speed,glide,turn and fade. They also all range in weight from 160g-175g. When purchasing your drivers or midrange disc's pay attention to the "turn" rating of those disc's as that will let you know how stable it is. Your going to want these disc's under stable so they turn over a bit and you get maximum distance but your also going to need super stable ones to sidearm or get around a tree. Putters are easy...get the one that feels good in your hand and your comfortable with. The only time your going to switch out your putter is in hi winds and your going to grab the heaviest one. Heavier disc's work better in big wind.

As a beginner I would suggest that you keep all your disc's around 167g-170g in weight.

I wish ya the best of luck and if you have any questions then please ask away

Thanks for the info! ☺️

I have only played for 6-7 weeks, so I'm really a noob, despite being 40 years old.

The one disc I have the most "luck" with is the tee bird.

Despite an embarrasingly bad form, I do manage to throw a lot of shots pretty straight. But as soon as I try to apply just 5% more force thanI can handle, it becomes a complete disaster. I can perhaps use 50% of my strenght, any more and I'm spending most of my evenings searching the woods for my discs.

Totally hooked and love this sport, even though 10 year olds on my local course make me look absolutely clueless.

How far do you guys throw on straight flat throws?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Thanks for the info! ☺️

I have only played for 6-7 weeks, so I'm really a noob, despite being 40 years old. ��

The one disc I have the most "luck" with is the tee bird.

Despite an embarrasingly bad form, I do manage to throw a lot of shots pretty straight. But as soon as I try to apply just 5% more force thanI can handle, it becomes a complete disaster. I can perhaps use 50% of my strenght, any more and I'm spending most of my evenings searching the woods for my discs. ��

Totally hooked and love this sport, even though 10 year olds on my local course make me look absolutely clueless.

How far do you guys throw on straight flat throws?

No worries as I'm 44 and it keeps me in shape + the discgolf community is a bunch of pretty good people...I've never seen a argument or a fight on a course and everybody seems willing to give advice / tips on technique or disc's :thumbu:

The TeeBird is my favorite disc and is a true "straight" flyer. I find they have the perfect balance of stability and I can bomb that disc straight down the fairway almost as long as my long distance driver (my Valkyrie)

Don't worry about your "embarrassing" form as your new and it's normal. Your technique and distance will come with practice so keep at it. If you play like 18 holes 3 time a week you should easily double your distance and accuracy in 4-6 months and you'll crush those 10 year olds :naughty:

It's actually quite good that you said you have success with a TeeBird and it's going straight for you. That means the disc is doing what its designed for and your throwing it flat with a perfect release point :handclap:

What concerning is that if you give it more power it flies off into the woods....that can only be a couple of things.

(1) your buddy gave you his old beat up disc that he doesn't use anymore because it's become under stable or "flippy". Disc's actually do have a shelf life and the more ya beat them up the more they become unstable...but it's actually a good thing because when you buy a new disc,their always more stable than their raiting (remember when I told ya to pay attention to the "turn" rating of disc's...+1 or more means their more stable...-1 or more means their under stable or flippy) so you have to break them in until the disc starts doing what it's designed to do.

(2) the disc is too light for your arm

(3) it's your technique...trying to power it, you have hung on to the disc and released it late and not flat.

I suspect from your description this its a combination of all 3 but it sounds like the disc is too light for your arm.

If you don't mind me asking how heavy is that TeeBird? Is it new or used? Can you list all your disc's including their weight that you play with? Are you right or left handed and when you throw, do you come across your body or do you sidearm your drives?

I'll let ya know if those disc's are worth keeping or if your just waisting your time with them. If I don't like what I see then I'll put together a wicked shopping list for ya that will improve your game.

I can throw my TeeBird the length of a football field almost dead straight. How far are you throwing your TeeBird?

:cheers: and can't wait to see that list of disc's ya play with :nod:

Last edited:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Thanks for your response! :)

My two go-to discs are a road runner and my dear Tee-Bird. I have no idea how much they weigh though.

For my short game I either go with my judge putter, while I'm trying to figure my "comet" out too, but it is really hard to figure out the angles on. At least for me, who is the rookiest of rookies. I have a few more discs, but don't want to use too many, my idea is that it's better to learn how a few work, than using 6-8 where you can't remember how they handle abd fly. At least this soon; have only played since the start of August.

I have now played on a local course 7-8 times and my longest throw was probably around 90 metres, which is a little under 300 feet.

Though, I have never managed to replicate that shot, haha.. ( my friends are still in awe and seem to think I'm amazing die to that one outlier of a shot, will take me 10 years to do again)

My "normal" max distance is more like 60-70 metres (200-230 feet).

I just came back from a nearby soccer field where I for the first time managed to time the straight hand back, then curled over my chest and fairly straight and long shots. Then there's a million other things I have to learn and implement. I know that I don't get a lot of hip force in my shots for one.

It's frustrating when old, out of shape guys on the course, can dart their discs about 350 feet from a stand still....it's disheartening!:laugh:

How good is your forehand?

I can't seem to throw them without a huge "wobble" everytime..

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Thanks for your response! :)

My two go-to discs are a road runner and my dear Tee-Bird. I have no idea how much they weigh though.

For my short game I either go with my judge putter, while I'm trying to figure my "comet" out too, but it is really hard to figure out the angles on. At least for me, who is the rookiest of rookies. I have a few more discs, but don't want to use too many, my idea is that it's better to learn how a few work, than using 6-8 where you can't remember how they handle abd fly. At least this soon; have only played since the start of August.

I have now played on a local course 7-8 times and my longest throw was probably around 90 metres, which is a little under 300 feet.

Though, I have never managed to replicate that shot, haha.. ( my friends are still in awe and seem to think I'm amazing die to that one outlier of a shot, will take me 10 years to do again)

My "normal" max distance is more like 60-70 metres (200-230 feet).

I just came back from a nearby soccer field where I for the first time managed to time the straight hand back, then curled over my chest and fairly straight and long shots. Then there's a million other things I have to learn and implement. I know that I don't get a lot of hip force in my shots for one.

It's frustrating when old, out of shape guys on the course, can dart their discs about 350 feet from a stand still....it's disheartening!:laugh:

How good is your forehand?

I can't seem to throw them without a huge "wobble" everytime..

Oh s***! It's extremely important to know the weight of your disc's because you have to match the weight of the disc with the power of your arm. This is discgolf 101 and you DO NOT want to learn the sport using disc's that are too light or too heavy for your arm power. You also don't want to learn using old, beat up disc's....beginners should purchase all new disc's and I agree with you that you should learn the game with only a few disc's.

A beginners discgolf bag should only include these 6 types of new disc's....

1-understable driver
1-stable driver
1-overstable driver

1-understable midrange
1-stable midrange

1-medium weight putter

Can you get digital scale and weigh your disc's? I can't really help you without knowing what the disc is and how much it weighs :cry:

What are your other disc's because you may have a hidden gem just sitting there that you should start throwing to learn and get your technique down!

Also, do you throw your disc's right or left handed?

What's your throwing style? IE: do you primarily throw your disc's using a Backhand style or a Forehand style?(forehand is also known as a sidearm throw)

By the sounds of it you have good powerful arm (200-300 foot drives for a beginner is pretty darn good) but you may be using light old beat up disc's but I'm only guessing since you can't tell me the weight or if their new or used.

If you can answer me those VERY IMPORTANT questions above, I'll have a good grasp of how you throw and I'd bet with a little advice on disc's and technique...I'll have ya throwing 300 to 350 feet in no time :nod:

A little about me....

I've got a very powerful arm and wicked "snap" in my wrist. 300 to 350 foot drives are no problem and when I really put the power to the disc then it's going 400 feet +. I throw right handed and primarily a Backhand style. I rarely throw a forehand (or sidearm) and when I do, I use my overstable driver as a midrange and only throw it a maximum of 200 feet. With my powerful arm and snappy wrist, I find heavy disc's work best for me...

My ideal weight for drivers is 173 grams.
My ideal weight for Midrange is 176 grams.
My ideal weight for putters is 175 grams.

As far a your forehand (or sidearm) and the "wobble" you experience, I really can't help you unless you tell me the name of the disc and the weight. I could be a number of things but I'd only be guessing without that information. It definitely should NOT be wobbling so something is wrong. I'd also recommend that you don't learn the game using your Road Runner & Comet disc's as their designed for more advanced players and are not very beginner friendly at all.

Last edited:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Oh s***! It's extremely important to know the weight of your disc's because you have to match the weight of the disc with the power of your arm. This is discgolf 101 and you DO NOT want to learn the sport using disc's that are too light or too heavy for your arm power. You also don't want to learn using old, beat up disc's....beginners should purchase all new disc's and I agree with you that you should learn the game with only a few disc's.

A beginners discgolf bag should only include these 6 types of new disc's....

1-understable driver
1-stable driver
1-overstable driver

1-understable midrange
1-stable midrange

1-medium weight putter

Can you get digital scale and weigh your disc's? I can't really help you without knowing what the disc is and how much it weighs :cry:

What are your other disc's because you may have a hidden gem just sitting there that you should start throwing to learn and get your technique down!

Also, do you throw your disc's right or left handed?

What's your throwing style? IE: do you primarily throw your disc's using a Backhand style or a Forehand style?(forehand is also known as a sidearm throw)

By the sounds of it you have good powerful arm (200-300 foot drives for a beginner is pretty darn good) but you may be using light old beat up disc's but I'm only guessing since you can't tell me the weight or if their new or used.

If you can answer me those VERY IMPORTANT questions above, I'll have a good grasp of how you throw and I'd bet with a little advice on disc's and technique...I'll have ya throwing 300 to 350 feet in no time :nod:

A little about me....

I've got a very powerful arm and wicked "snap" in my wrist. 300 to 350 foot drives are no problem and when I really put the power to the disc then it's going 400 feet +. I throw right handed and primarily a Backhand style. I rarely throw a forehand (or sidearm) and when I do, I use my overstable driver as a midrange and only throw it a maximum of 200 feet. With my powerful arm and snappy wrist, I find heavy disc's work best for me...

My ideal weight for drivers is 173 grams.
My ideal weight for Midrange is 176 grams.
My ideal weight for putters is 175 grams.

As far a your forehand (or sidearm) and the "wobble" you experience, I really can't help you unless you tell me the name of the disc and the weight. I could be a number of things but I'd only be guessing without that information. It definitely should NOT be wobbling so something is wrong. I'd also recommend that you don't learn the game using your Road Runner & Comet disc's as their designed for more advanced players and are not very beginner friendly at all.

Alright, I have gone through my mail history to find the orders when I bought my discs. :) And yes, they are all bought brand new.

My Comet is 163 g
Tee-bird 150 g
Gstar roadrunner 175 g
Champion Roc3 Peace 180 g
Judge classic (putter) 172 g
Neutron Fireball 172 g (IMPOSSIBLE to throw, don't even bother anymore, is it a "roller" or something??"
Innova Champion (bought in store, don't know the weight)

Mostly use the bolded and the tee-bird is probably my choice in 80% of my throws. Seems to be the one I have the easiest time to fire straight and where I want it - while also getting some decent distance. The roadrunner is a work in progress, but I have gotten a lot better with it to the point where I'm almost at the tee-bird level, when it comes to getting it to fly straight - and then mostly of course tail off to the left just at the end.

I am right-handed and almost always (95% of the time) use the backhand.

I have implemented the x-step in my drives, but still have to work on timing, weight shift, "brace" etc.

It's crazy how hooked I have become in just a few weeks, it's a great sport!:):handclap:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Alright, I have gone through my mail history to find the orders when I bought my discs. :) And yes, they are all bought brand new.

My Comet is 163 g
Tee-bird 150 g
Gstar roadrunner 175 g
Champion Roc3 Peace 180 g
Judge classic (putter) 172 g
Neutron Fireball 172 g (IMPOSSIBLE to throw, don't even bother anymore, is it a "roller" or something??"
Innova Champion (bought in store, don't know the weight)

Mostly use the bolded and the tee-bird is probably my choice in 80% of my throws. Seems to be the one I have the easiest time to fire straight and where I want it - while also getting some decent distance. The roadrunner is a work in progress, but I have gotten a lot better with it to the point where I'm almost at the tee-bird level, when it comes to getting it to fly straight - and then mostly of course tail off to the left just at the end.

I am right-handed and almost always (95% of the time) use the backhand.

I have implemented the x-step in my drives, but still have to work on timing, weight shift, "brace" etc.

It's crazy how hooked I have become in just a few weeks, it's a great sport!:):handclap:

Oooohhhhhh yyyyaaaaaaaaaaa! We got something to work with :5:

On first impression I can see some pretty big weight variances but holy smokes that TeeBird @ 150g!!! No wonder if ya put too much power to it then it flies off to your right and into the woods...you can't get them any lighter than that. No worries though as we will go through your disc's and I'll try and help ya the best I can. Let's start with your drivers and I'm going to post their ratings so we have them and can compare them....

TeeBird @ 150g
Speed = 7
Glide = 5
Turn = 0
Fade = 2

Roadrunner @ 175g
Speed = 9
Glide = 5
Turn = -4
Fade = 1

Neutron Fireball @ 172g
Speed = 10
Glide = 3
Turn = 0
Fade = 4

As you can see the TeeBird and Roadrunner are fairly similar except for one big thing...their turn ranking. The TeeBird @ 0 means it's perfectly stable so it's not overstable nor is it understable...it's basically neutral and will fly straight. The Roadrunner on the other hand is a -4 turn rating :amazed: so that means it's super understable and when it gets broken in, its going to fly to the right, keep its edge and just keep going with its good glide and excellent fade ratings. Your saving grace to that disc is that it weighs 175g . I recommend every beginner have a understable disc in their bag that's a little heavier than normal and you got one :) remember when I said you shouldn't play with that roadrunner well scratch that and keep it in your bag and play with it. Just keep in mind that that disc is designed to go hard right and won't turn back left when fully broken in.

Your TeeBird is way to light. Those disc's are designed for you to put maximum arm power to them and fly straight. If your only giving it 50% power and getting 200-230 feet on your drives, if you switch up to a heavier disc then I'd bet you would hit 300 feet consistently.
Before I recommend a weight for ya I have a couple of questions...what's your height and weight? How's the "snap" of your wrist when releasing a driver? IE do you generate good spin on the disc or hardly none at all?

Your Neutron Fireball...throw it in the garbage! :laugh: I posted their rankings but their BS. Their turn rating is supposed to be the same as a TeeBird and fly straight but they never do. I've found that their super understable and have always flipped on me. I'm not sure if it's the 2 piece design or what the he'll it is. I just know their a crap disc and nobody I know likes them.

Midrange:

Your comet is really light as well and their a bit of a tricky disc to master. Their designed to fly straight but they hold whatever edge you put on them. If you want a straight shot out of them it has to come out of your hand flat and straight. Their also a bit understable so they will turn to the right a bit before coming back to the left but be careful how much spin or snap you put on them or they will just keep going to the right.

Champion Roc 3....your f***ing money midrange disc in the perfect weight @ 180g! I swear by these disc's and it's basically your midrange TeeBird :D a true straight flyer and at that weight that you can put as much arm power and snap on it as you want. Eat with this disc, sleep with this disc and play with this disc...your going to love it!

Judge putter: I've got no problem with these putters and like the plastic. It also at a good weight for beginners @ 172g.

Innova champion? I assume that a putter and if it is then I'm not a big fan of champion plastic on putters as I find them too slippery but that's just me. You should try it as I have a couple of buddies that swear by them and they do fly pretty good.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Oooohhhhhh yyyyaaaaaaaaaaa! We got something to work with :5:

On first impression I can see some pretty big weight variances but holy smokes that TeeBird @ 150g!!! No wonder if ya put too much power to it then it flies off to your right and into the woods...you can't get them any lighter than that. No worries though as we will go through your disc's and I'll try and help ya the best I can. Let's start with your drivers and I'm going to post their ratings so we have them and can compare them....

TeeBird @ 150g
Speed = 7
Glide = 5
Turn = 0
Fade = 2

Roadrunner @ 175g
Speed = 9
Glide = 5
Turn = -4
Fade = 1

Neutron Fireball @ 172g
Speed = 10
Glide = 3
Turn = 0
Fade = 4

As you can see the TeeBird and Roadrunner are fairly similar except for one big thing...their turn ranking. The TeeBird @ 0 means it's perfectly stable so it's not overstable nor is it understable...it's basically neutral and will fly straight. The Roadrunner on the other hand is a -4 turn rating :amazed: so that means it's super understable and when it gets broken in, its going to fly to the right, keep its edge and just keep going with its good glide and excellent fade ratings. Your saving grace to that disc is that it weighs 175g . I recommend every beginner have a understable disc in their bag that's a little heavier than normal and you got one :) remember when I said you shouldn't play with that roadrunner well scratch that and keep it in your bag and play with it. Just keep in mind that that disc is designed to go hard right and won't turn back left when fully broken in.

Your TeeBird is way to light. Those disc's are designed for you to put maximum arm power to them and fly straight. If your only giving it 50% power and getting 200-230 feet on your drives, if you switch up to a heavier disc then I'd bet you would hit 300 feet consistently.
Before I recommend a weight for ya I have a couple of questions...what's your height and weight? How's the "snap" of your wrist when releasing a driver? IE do you generate good spin on the disc or hardly none at all?

Your Neutron Fireball...throw it in the garbage! :laugh: I posted their rankings but their BS. Their turn rating is supposed to be the same as a TeeBird and fly straight but they never do. I've found that their super understable and have always flipped on me. I'm not sure if it's the 2 piece design or what the he'll it is. I just know their a crap disc and nobody I know likes them.

Midrange:

Your comet is really light as well and their a bit of a tricky disc to master. Their designed to fly straight but they hold whatever edge you put on them. If you want a straight shot out of them it has to come out of your hand flat and straight. Their also a bit understable so they will turn to the right a bit before coming back to the left but be careful how much spin or snap you put on them or they will just keep going to the right.

Champion Roc 3....your f***ing money midrange disc in the perfect weight @ 180g! I swear by these disc's and it's basically your midrange TeeBird :D a true straight flyer and at that weight that you can put as much arm power and snap on it as you want. Eat with this disc, sleep with this disc and play with this disc...your going to love it!

Judge putter: I've got no problem with these putters and like the plastic. It also at a good weight for beginners @ 172g.

Innova champion? I assume that a putter and if it is then I'm not a big fan of champion plastic on putters as I find them too slippery but that's just me. You should try it as I have a couple of buddies that swear by them and they do fly pretty good.

Thanks again for your lenghty reply, it helps me a lot!

It's great to hear that my roadrunner will eventually only tail off to the right, as that will help me as a right-handed guy who only throws backhanded.

The Innova champion is a mid-ranger. Have hardly even tried it, so I'm not sure how good/bad it is.

I'm 5´10 and weigh about 178 pounds.

As a beginner, I probably don't generate a great snap. I mean, I try to curl my wrist so that there will be a good spin on the disc when it leaves my fingers, but...I guess it depends what you compare with. I try to throw "mechanically" correct but without a shadow of a doubt, I do not, haha...

If we get a decent day without this damn rain, I can try to record a couple of throws, so you can judge for yourself. You'll probably laugh, but I'll take it as a man! :D

I also got my hands on an older beaten in Innova Champion Valkyrie, distance driver, today.

Speed = 9
Glide = 4
Turn = -2
Fade = 2

Only had time to throw it a couple of times, but my first impression was really positive.:handclap: No idea how much it weighs.

Sadly, here in Sweden, about 8 months of rain, cold and snow awaits us now...which means less opportunity to play.:cry:

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Thanks again for your lenghty repliy, it helps me a lot!

It's great to hear that my roadrunner will eventually only tail off to the right, as that will help me as a right-handed guy who only throws backhanded.

The Innova champion is a mid-ranger. Have hardly even tried it, so I'm not sure how good/bad it is.

I'm 5´10 and weigh about 178 pounds.

As a beginner, I probably don't generate a great snap. I mean, I try to curl my wrist so that there will be a good spin on the disc when it leaves my fingers, but...I guess it depends what you compare with. I tro to throw "mechanically" correct but without a shadow of a doubt, I do not, haha...

If we get a decent day without this damn rain, I can try to record a couple of throws, so you can judge for yourself. You'll probably laugh, but I'll take it as a man! :D

I also got my hands on an older beaten in Innova Champion Valkyrie, distance driver, today.

Speed = 9
Glide = 4
Turn = -2
Fade = 2

Only had time to throw it a couple of times, but my first impression was really positive.:handclap: No idea how much it weighs.

Sadly, here in Sweden, about 8 months of rain, cold and snow awaits us now...which means less opportunity to play.:cry:

No trouble at all and I'm happy to help.

You'll get your mechanics/technique down over time so no need to worry as it happens to all beginners. I've seen a lot of friends who couldn't throw a disc 100 feet or keep it straight but after a season or two, their throwing like a pro now and getting 300-400 feet out of their drives :handclap:

The key to driving and your midrange shots is consistency and the weight of the disc. Throw your disc's exactly the same way every time and just adjust your power for distance. You want your arm to come across your body flat and straight with a smooth release point. As a beginner, always release your disc FLAT and let the disc do what it's designed for. Your body has never really thrown like that before so your using your muscles in a new way...your creating muscle memory :nod: On the course keep it consistent and throw those disc's flat and straight (unless you got to get around a tree or something) if you want to have some fun and see what your disc's will do on different angles then head up to your soccer field and play around with them.

Oh sweet! You got a Valkyrie :) one of my favorite disc's of all time and a excellent driver. If you throw that disc flat and straight then it should turn a little to the right then come back to the left for maximum distance...that's what those disc's are designed to do and you'll know it's not too beat up and a good weight for your arm.

If you throw it flat and straight and it just keeps going to the right then you'll know it's either too light or too beat up or a combination of both for your arm.

If you throw it flat and straight and it pretty much flies straight but then starts heading left then it's not as beat up as you thought and probably just a little heavier for your arm.

Let me know how it goes and don't be afraid to put good power to the Valkyrie...crank it and see what it does.

That would be awesome if ya posted a video of your drives and since your at it, could you please post a picture of your Innova Champion? I'm curious to see it and I'm wondering what it is since it's a midrange.

Ya I get the weather as well since I live Canada but here in Calgary, I have about 6-8 weeks before the snow starts to fly...oh look at that...buddy just called and Its a beautiful day so off the the course for 18 baskets :yo:

Last edited:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
No trouble at all and I'm happy to help.

You'll get your mechanics/technique down over time so no need to worry as it happens to all beginners. I've seen a lot of friends who couldn't throw a disc 100 feet or keep it straight but after a season or two, their throwing like a pro now and getting 300-400 feet out of their drives :handclap:

The key to driving and your midrange shots is consistency and the weight of the disc. Throw your disc's exactly the same way every time and just adjust your power for distance. You want your arm to come across your body flat and straight with a smooth release point. As a beginner, always release your disc FLAT and let the disc do what it's designed for. Your body has never really thrown like that before so your using your muscles in a new way...your creating muscle memory :nod: On the course keep it consistent and throw those disc's flat and straight (unless you got to get around a tree or something) if you want to have some fun and see what your disc's will do on different angles then head up to your soccer field and play around with them.

Oh sweet! You got a Valkyrie :) one of my favorite disc's of all time and a excellent driver. If you throw that disc flat and straight then it should turn a little to the right then come back to the left for maximum distance...that's what those disc's are designed to do and you'll know it's not too beat up and a good weight for your arm.

If you throw it flat and straight and it just keeps going to the right then you'll know it's either too light or too beat up or a combination of both for your arm.

If you throw it flat and straight and it pretty much flies straight but then starts heading left then it's not as beat up as you thought and probably just a little heavier for your arm.

Let me know how it goes and don't be afraid to put good power to the Valkyrie...crank it and see what it does.

That would be awesome if ya posted a video of your drives and since your at it, could you please post a picture of your Innova Champion? I'm curious to see it and I'm wondering what it is since it's a midrange.

Ya I get the weather as well since I live Canada but here in Calgary, I have about 6-8 weeks before the snow starts to fly...oh look at that...buddy just called and Its a beautiful day so off the the course for 18 baskets :yo:

I set up my camera to record me taking a few throws, but upon watching it, I'm too ashamed to release this ABOMINATION of a video to the public eye.:cry::facepalm::laugh:

In my "head" I thought that I had a decent "form" for only having played for like a month - but when watching the video back I realized that I looked more like John Cleese in Fawlty Towers, when he imitated a nazi.:help::banghead::joker:

At one point I had my left hand kinda obstructing my throwing arm upon release. I'm still trying to figure out how that is even possible. Even more strange is the fact that the throw in question went really far (my standards).

If I take anything away from this, is that it is a good lesson to watch yourself on video. I hope to GOD that I'm not as useless in the sack, since I go around believing that I'm a blessing to all women.;)

I have thrown some more with my Valkyrie and it goes straight and then turns to the left at the end. Have yet to see it swivel right before going left. Guess I need to hit a few more trees with it first.:yo:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I set up my camera to record me taking a few throws, but upon watching it, I'm too ashamed to release this ABOMINATION of a video to the public eye.:cry::facepalm::laugh:

In my "head" I thought that I had a decent "form" for only having played for like a month - but when watching the video back I realized that I looked more like John Cleese in Fawlty Towers, when he imitated a nazi.:help::banghead::joker:

At one point I had my left hand kinda obstructing my throwing arm upon release. I'm still trying to figure out how that is even possible. Even more strange is the fact that the throw in question went really far (my standards).

If I take anything away from this, is that it is a good lesson to watch yourself on video. I hope to GOD that I'm not as useless in the sack, since I go around believing that I'm a blessing to all women.;)

I have thrown some more with my Valkyrie and it goes straight and then turns to the left at the end. Have yet to see it swivel right before going left. Guess I need to hit a few more trees with it first.:yo:

:laugh: ya I get it but don't worry as you'll get your throw/technique down with practice. You should really try and find out how much that Valkyrie weighs because it will give you a good idea of how much weight your arm can handle right now. I'm actually pleased it's not turning over on you because as you get better and develop more power/snap, that disc will start to fly really nice for ya. I suspect that it's a fairly heavy disc like your Roadrunner so ya...hit more trees with it :D

So I've done some research for ya and talked to a couple of other pro's and we have come to a consensus for your weight and some disc's you should probably purchase.

Your weight for disc's are.....

Drivers: 170 grams
Midrange: 172 grams
Since you already have a 172 gram putter, I would suggest you pick up a lighter one around 168 grams.

*Also note that as you get better you may in the future want to purchase heavier disc's but don't go more than a couple of grams at a time so 172g for drivers and 174g for midrange max. You'd be very surprised how just a gram or 2 can effect the same type of disc*

Disc's to purchase in the future......

I would suggest you stick with Innova disc's as I find their the best and that their rankings (speed,glide,turn and fade) are the most accurate. I would also suggest that any Innova drivers purchased be in *Champion* plastic. It's the best plastic Innova produces and the most durable. Once the Champion plastic is broken in, their flight characteristics won't change and the disc will last for year's :thumbu:

Since you like your TeeBird so much but is far too light then I think your first purchase should be a 170g *Champion* TeeBird.
If you would like a faster version of the TeeBird and want more distance from your drives then I highly recommend a *Champion* Dominator @ 170g.

Dominator:
Speed = 13
Glide = 5
Turn = -1
Fade = 2

I'd also suggest you pick up a stable disc to forearm (or sidearm) and be able to get those shots that need to travel hard right about 200 feet max.....and get it in *Champion* plastic @ 170g...get a Innova Firebird.

Firebird:
Speed = 9
Glide = 3
Turn = 0
Fade = 4

Midrange: We had a good debate about your Roc3 and Comet but we all agree that the Roc3 is too heavy for ya right now as your arm is not strong enough to support it so put it away but hang on to it. Your Comet is too light and you probably shouldn't be throwing it. I suggest you pick up another *Champion* Roc3 or a classic Roc in *DX* Plastic @ 172g. If you have a discgolf store around ya then I'd also suggest that you check out a *DX* Cobra. Their a nice midrange turn over disc that will act like a Valkyrie but be careful of how much snap you put on em. If they hit the ground on edge then they love to roll...They can also be used to putt with in hi winds.

Another really good midrange that everybody is raving about is a Discraft Buzzz or Buzzz SS. Their just like a *Champion* Roc3 but their glide is just a little bit better...I'd definitely check one out if ya can. STAY AWAY from a Buzzz OS as their super stable and won't fly straight for ya...they will instantly start going to the left upon release.

I'd also check out Innova's Aviar putters...Their really nice.

Well that's it for now and if I've missed anything or you still have questions the ask away.

Last edited:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Hello again!

The last time I played, I managed to lose my Roadrunner, which is the one disc I have managed to really get some distance out of.

Therefore I ordered a new one + two other discs, after checking what you wrote. The exact ones that you suggested were sold out, so my last order was:

1 DX TeeBird 175g
1 GStar Roadrunner 175g
1 GStar TeeBird+ 175g

Heavier discs will hopefully help me through the autum winds, haha.. My smaller 150 g tee bird is like a feather in the wind, as soon as it's more than a tiny breeze. :)

Does that order look decent, or did I mess up somewhere? A lot of the discs you have talked about were sold out, so I guess you know your ****.:handclap:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Hello again!

The last time I played, I managed to lose my Roadrunner, which is the one disc I have managed to really get some distance out of.

Therefore I ordered a new one + two other discs, after checking what you wrote. The exact ones that you suggested were sold out, so my last order was:

1 DX TeeBird 175g
1 GStar Roadrunner 175g
1 GStar TeeBird+ 175g

Heavier discs will hopefully help me through the autum winds, haha.. My smaller 150 g tee bird is like a feather in the wind, as soon as it's more than a tiny breeze. :)

Does that order look decent, or did I mess up somewhere? A lot of the discs you have talked about were sold out, so I guess you know your ****.:handclap:

That sucks you lost your roadrunner but at least your getting a replacement since you enjoy it so much :thumbu:

I think their all too heavy(I don't even play with a 175g TeeBird...too heavy) and I would have liked you to stay @ that 170g (including a new Roadrunner) weight to get the best performance out of the disc's. But I also have no idea how crazy you Sweeds are and how hi of wind you play in :laugh:

When I play with friends and it gets too windy then we just shut it down as it becomes too dangerous. I've actually seen someone get KO'ed from a disc to the back of the head and another person had his front tooth removed from a rogue disc :amazed:

I also definitely would have held out for *Champion* plastic as its Innovas nicest plastic and breaks in the best. It's flight characteristics will last for years with that plastic....basically, if your going to spend the $ money$ it may as well be on *Champion* plastic IMHO.

I would also highly recommend that you never purchase a driver in *DX* plastic because it's lip is soooo thin for aerodynamics that 1 or 2 really good hits against a tree at hi speed will ruin the disc :(

The *DX* plastic should only be purchased for midrange disc's as their lip is much thicker and your not throwing them at hi speed so when they do hit a tree, it doesn't affect their flight characteristics that much.

I definitely think your next purchase should be....
170g *Champion* TeeBird
170g *Champion* Firebird
172g *DX* Roc
If you can't get that ordered then hang on and try again till stock comes in...can't you get a rain check or pre order them so when stock arrives they just ship out?

Also, please stick to that 170g weight!!! If your that antsy to get a new disc (lol I know the feeling) then please only add a gram or 2 to the weight MAX.

Do you order all your disc's online and do you have a store near by that specializes in Innova or Discraft disc's?

Can you post the link to the online store you shop at as I'd like to check it out :nod:

I have 2 stores here in Calgary and they have a pretty good selection of disc's as I prefer to get my hands on them before purchasing...I wanna feel the plastic and check how grippy they are. I also do not like floppy disc's and prefer the harder plastics. Its very rare I shop online.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
That sucks you lost your roadrunner but at least your getting a replacement since you enjoy it so much :thumbu:

I think their all too heavy(I don't even play with a 175g TeeBird...too heavy) and I would have liked you to stay @ that 170g (including a new Roadrunner) weight to get the best performance out of the disc's. But I also have no idea how crazy you Sweeds are and how hi of wind you play in :laugh:

When I play with friends and it gets too windy then we just shut it down as it becomes too dangerous. I've actually seen someone get KO'ed from a disc to the back of the head and another person had his front tooth removed from a rogue disc :amazed:

I also definitely would have held out for *Champion* plastic as its Innovas nicest plastic and breaks in the best. It's flight characteristics will last for years with that plastic....basically, if your going to spend the $ money$ it may as well be on *Champion* plastic IMHO.

I would also highly recommend that you never purchase a driver in *DX* plastic because it's lip is soooo thin for aerodynamics that 1 or 2 really good hits against a tree at hi speed will ruin the disc :(

The *DX* plastic should only be purchased for midrange disc's as their lip is much thicker and your not throwing them at hi speed so when they do hit a tree, it doesn't affect their flight characteristics that much.

I definitely think your next purchase should be....
170g *Champion* TeeBird
170g *Champion* Firebird
172g *DX* Roc
If you can't get that ordered then hang on and try again till stock comes in...can't you get a rain check or pre order them so when stock arrives they just ship out?

Also, please stick to that 170g weight!!! If your that antsy to get a new disc (lol I know the feeling) then please only add a gram or 2 to the weight MAX.

Do you order all your disc's online and do you have a store near by that specializes in Innova or Discraft disc's?

Can you post the link to the online store you shop at as I'd like to check it out :nod:

I have 2 stores here in Calgary and they have a pretty good selection of disc's as I prefer to get my hands on them before purchasing...I wanna feel the plastic and check how grippy they are. I also do not like floppy disc's and prefer the harder plastics. Its very rare I shop online.

You are SO right.:cry:

I tried the new tee bird discs tonight and hated them both.:shakehead

Though, I only got to try them on short holes (a 9-hole course with only short distances 150-250 feet) - since they were playing league on the main course.

They might work better for me when having more open longer spaces to throw them, but looking at the few short holes I tried to use them tonight, they were too heavy for me. Tailed off to the left way too soon. My small 150 g was much much straighter and easier to throw.

Oh well, I learned a valuble lesson - and I guess the purchase wasn't all bad, since I will probably be able to use these discs a year or two from now, when I have gotten stronger and better.

I have bought almost all my discs from http://www.discsport.se/ - a Swedish online store. :)

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
You are SO right.:cry:

I tried the new tee bird discs tonight and hated them both.:shakehead

Though, I only got to try them on short holes (a 9-hole course with only short distances 150-250 feet) - since they were playing league on the main course.

They might work better for me when having more open longer spaces to throw them, but looking at the few short holes I tried to use them tonight, they were too heavy for me. Tailed off to the left way too soon. My small 150 g was much much straighter and easier to throw.

Oh well, I learned a valuble lesson - and I guess the purchase wasn't all bad, since I will probably be able to use these discs a year or two from now, when I have gotten stronger and better.

I have bought almost all my discs from http://www.discsport.se/ - a Swedish online store. :)

Ya I figured you wouldn't like those TeeBirds at that weight. 175g is the max weight for drivers and you need a very powerful arm with a lot of snap in your wrist for disc's of that weight to work properly.

I re-read our conversation you and I have been having and I want to clarify a few things and I made a mistake on a disc.

I recommend that you get a Dominator in *Champion* plastic but I have realized that those disc's are not available in Champion plastic :( their only available in GStar or Blizzard plastic. I personally like the GStar plastic wayyyyy more than the Blizzard plastic...Not a fan of Blizzard plastic at all :thumbd:

As I'm a huge fan of Champion plastic, a replacement disc for the Dominator is a Shryke. Their a little faster and a better glider to keep it in the fairway...I highly recommend one in Champion plastic that will act like a long distance TeeBird.

Shryke:

Speed = 13
Glide = 6
Turn = -1
Fade = 2

I also want to clarify when you purchase disc's in the future and keeping to that 170g weight for drivers and 172g for midrange rule. I gave you those weights to use as a blueprint and told you to only ADD no more than a couple of grams max but what I failed to mention was that's it's OK to REMOVE a couple of grams max as well. The general rule to adding or removing weight from a disc only depends on its "Turn" rating.....understable vs overstable.

The lower a disc's turn rating IE: -1, -2, -3 and so on...The disc should weigh a little heavier as these disc's are understable and only get worse as those numbers get lower.

The higher a disc's turn rating IE: 0, +1, +2 and so on...The disc should weigh a little lighter as these disc's are overstable and only get worse as those numbers increase.

I apologize and I hope that has clarified it for your but if you still any questions then please ask away.

Wow! What a store :yo: I literally just spent the last 3 hours browsing through all the disc's and I came away quite impressed. They have a really nice selection and they have some disc's that are hard to find here in Canada. :rant: I was also thinking or your new disc's and I'm assuming that's where you got them from so I checked out their return policy...they seem pretty customer friendly and you have 14 days to return anything if your not satisfied. Your just have to return the disc's like you got them with their original packaging and pay the return shipping...TBH I would return those TeeBirds and Roadrunner.

Depending if you want to return those new disc's or not, I did some shopping for you and found some disc's that really caught my eye and I think would be perfect :D

I'll describe how I found them on the website so you can check them out....

I clicked on the link you provided and scrolled to the bottom of the page to all the manufacturers they carry.

I clicked on Innova

The Innova catalog opened and it was on page 1 of 9.

On that first page were Champion Stryker and they had one in sky blue @ 170g and another one in neon yellow @ 170g
*I highly recommend you picking one up*

Page 2 was awesome and it had...

DX Cobra @ 172g in yellow or white
*your choice to pick one up but I really like them*

Champion TeeBird Ken Klimo edition :thumbu: (best TeeBirds on the market IMHO)
They have a bunch of colors @ 168g and YOU HAVE TO PURCHASE ONE! Since the TeeBirds are stable (turn=0) it's OK to drop a few grams off your 170g blueprint weight...do not purchase any at 171g or heavier and do not purchase anything lighter than 168g please. Personally, I'd go for the orange one since red, blue and orange seem to be the best colors for Innova disc's :nod:

Champion Roadrunner: they had a couple of different colors in both 170g and 171g :)

Champion Valykrie: I know you already have one but I spied a yellow one @ 171g :naughty:

Champion Firebird @ 171g in neon orange. I highly recommend you getting one as everybody needs a forearm (or sidearm) disc and Firebirds are some of the best. They also work quite well when you throw them on your backhand and need the disc to go straight then take a hard left.

Page 3

I noticed a GStar Dominator in metallic purple @ 171g and one in metallic emerald @ 169g. Since their very simular to a TeeBird, I'd drop that gram and go for the 169g metallic emerald one.

Page 6 blew my mind!

DX Roc in Bottom Stamp :amazed:

These disc's are so hard to find here in Canada that their almost a myth! They are one of, if not the best midrange disc's on the market. They fly dead straight and that store just happens to have a pair of them in Steel Blue @ 172g. You have to get your hands on one of those disc's!

So if you do return those 3 disc's (which you should) then I'd definitely replace them with these 3......

Champion TeeBird Ken Klimo edition in orange plastic @ 168g....you gotta get this disc!

DX Roc Bottom Stamp in Steel Blue @ 172g....theirs no way I would leave that disc on the shelf as its a must have!

Champion Firebird in Neon Orange @ 171g

If you want to go all out then I highly recommend picking up that Champion Stryker in Sky Blue or Neon Yellow @ 170g. I'm also quite interested in that GStar Dominator in Metallic Emerald @ 169g :help:

I hope I've helped and let me know how it goes if you decided to keep these new disc's or returned them and purchased more. Also, please feel free to ask me about any other disc's that we haven't talked about or any new disc's and their weights that your thinking of purchasing...I don't want to see ya waist your hard earned money on disc's just to be disappointed.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Oh man :( it's been raining here the last couple of days and buddy calls me up this morning to go throw 18.....I threw my star run Champion TeeBird straight into the ragging river on the first basket with my first throw....I totally brain farted out and threw it on a hyzer edge and it was gone :cry: that was my money disc and I've had it for over a decade. I'll never be able to replace it :shakehead

Well it looks like I'm in the market for a new one as well and it's going to be the Ken Klimo edition in red @ 173g.....I hope I can find one because that 173g weight is a little hard to get as their either 172g or 174g :rant:

So regarding my last post, did I clear the weights up for ya and have you made a decision on what your going to do with those new disc's? If your going to buy more then I'd love to see the decision you have made before purchasing :nod:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Hello again!

I feel your pain. I only had my old roadrunner a little over a month when I lost it - and got depressed when it happened.

I had sadly marked the three last discs I purchased, so they wouldn't accept the return.

I still went ahead and bought the three discs you talked about being the best choices.

"Champion TeeBird Ken Klimo edition in orange plastic @ 168g....you gotta get this disc!

DX Roc Bottom Stamp in Steel Blue @ 172g....theirs no way I would leave that disc on the shelf as its a must have!

Champion Firebird in Neon Orange @ 171g"

Exactly the same as above. Will probably receive them on Monday and I'm expecting WONDERS!

Yeah, it's been raining like crazy here in Sweden too, today we had some sun though, so I got 18 holes in with a friend of mine.

I think my next disc is a new putter. Or perhaps I'm simply the worst putter in the history of disc golf.

I'm missing so many pars and even birdies, by flunking putters as close, as 10 feet. Feels like I'm better at hitting the basked from 30 feet, than from 10-12.

Have you seen Paul McBeth throw? I watched some slow-motion videos of him throwing distance drivers and the torque he is able to ammass in that tiny body of his (relative to most of the other top-10 guys, distance wise) is simply astonishing.

I still have trouble remembering to leave my left arm behind. Instead I put it up infront of me in an awkward way, which hinders my whole motion.

So many things to get right. So many things to potentially do wrong, haha..

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Did you say they were supposed to go straight?

They turn over SO fast and I get zero distance from them...

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Did you say they were supposed to go straight?

They turn over SO fast and I get zero distance from them...

Uh? Seriously!

Your ripping them flat on release and their turning over!!!!!

Easy fix....start ripping them on a hyzer edge to compensate for turn over so ie: instead of releasing them flat, release them on angle with the edge of the disc pointed down towards your toes. Try a 45 degree angle at first and see if they stand up and then fly straight. Your probably going to have to play with the angle of the disc to nail it.

I am shocked that those new disc's are turning over on ya and if it's that bad when you throw them flat then your arm strength and wrist snap is way more powerful than you described.

The only solution is heavier disc's to prevent the turnover but this is the name of the game in discgolf...we need to find that perfect weight of disc for your arm.

Go throw the disc's on hyzer edge @ various degrees of angle and let me know if it worked...Also try the Firebird on forearm (or sidearm) @ various hyzer angles...theirs no way that Firebird @ 171g should turnover thrown forearmed and on hyzer edge!

:popcorn:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I have tried to change my throwing technique and get more speed now. They go a little straighter for a little longer, but still not as straight as many of my other discs.

How far can you throw a distance driver?

I managed to throw a little further than the local soccer field today, perhaps around 330 feet.

But only 2-3 times of 50 throws, the rest between 270-300 feet.

Tring to emulate Paul McBeth, haha..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad