Any DISCGOLFERS in here?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I have tried to change my throwing technique and get more speed now. They go a little straighter for a little longer, but still not as straight as many of my other discs.

How far can you throw a distance driver?

I managed to throw a little further than the local soccer field today, perhaps around 330 feet.

But only 2-3 times of 50 throws, the rest between 270-300 feet.

Tring to emulate Paul McBeth, haha..

Is that TeeBird still turning over and flying to the right even with a good hyzer edge put on it?

Are you liking the Firebird thrown on your forearm? How is it thrown backhand?

I throw my Valkyrie the longest which is 400 feet consistently...450+ feet requires perfect conditions and release of the disc.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
I love disc golf! I have been playing for a few years now. There are a lot of disc golf courses here where I live. I haven't joined any tournaments yet but maybe next summer I will.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Is that TeeBird still turning over and flying to the right even with a good hyzer edge put on it?

Are you liking the Firebird thrown on your forearm? How is it thrown backhand?

I throw my Valkyrie the longest which is 400 feet consistently...450+ feet requires perfect conditions and release of the disc.

I haven't tried it yet with my new technique where I get more torque, but if I slow if slower for more of a precise throw - it does turn over really quickly.

My forearm game is really weak. Have tried to improve it, but the firebird does not go straight for me - it turns over (right) well within a 100 feet..

450 feet sounds amazing to be able to throw. How long did it take for you to get to that distance? How long did it take to reach 300 feet?

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I love disc golf! I have been playing for a few years now. There are a lot of disc golf courses here where I live. I haven't joined any tournaments yet but maybe next summer I will.

Good to hear!

Same questions for you, which are your favoriter discs?

Maximum throwing distance? :)

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Good to hear!

Same questions for you, which are your favoriter discs?

Maximum throwing distance? :)

Oh I am not that great and I don't really keep track. Injust play for fun and get some exercise. I don't throw too far but my throws are quite accurate most of the time.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I haven't tried it yet with my new technique where I get more torque, but if I slow if slower for more of a precise throw - it does turn over really quickly.

My forearm game is really weak. Have tried to improve it, but the firebird does not go straight for me - it turns over (right) well within a 100 feet..

450 feet sounds amazing to be able to throw. How long did it take for you to get to that distance? How long did it take to reach 300 feet?

Man I'm really surprised that TeeBird is turning over on ya so soon...you arm power and wrist snap are way more powerful than I thought. I have a 172g older beat up one that if I put on a good hyzer edge and give it a hard(backhand) throw then it will just slightly turn over to the right but then fade back to the left for a maximum distance of about 350 feet. If I don't put a big enough hyzer edge and throw it flatter then see ya...it will turn over instantly and fly off to the right and keep its edge, never turning back to the left. The one I told you about that I just lost was perfect! It was 174g and all I had to do was rip it flat and she stayed dead straight for 300 feet...really miss that disc and I still haven't found a replacement yet.

OK I'm confused by your Firebird comment...When you say that it's turning over on you within 100 feet, is that you throwing it on your forearm(or sidearm) or you throwing on your backhand and it turns over to the right???

If it's you throwing it on your forearm (or sidearm) and it starts to fly to the right within 100 feet then the disc is doing what it's designed to do and it's not turning over. It's perfect and it's doing exactly what I wanted it to do for ya.

But

If your throwing that 172g bran new Firebird on your backhand flat and straight and it's turning over on you and flying off to the RIGHT then holy f***! You have some serious power!

When I first started playing , I could easily throw a disc between 250- 300 feet....would they all go straight...lololo nope! I had the power but almost zero accuracy. It took about 2 years to refine my technique so I could get accuracy and the distance come with that.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Man I'm really surprised that TeeBird is turning over on ya so soon...you arm power and wrist snap are way more powerful than I thought. I have a 172g older beat up one that if I put on a good hyzer edge and give it a hard(backhand) throw then it will just slightly turn over to the right but then fade back to the left for a maximum distance of about 350 feet. If I don't put a big enough hyzer edge and throw it flatter then see ya...it will turn over instantly and fly off to the right and keep its edge, never turning back to the left. The one I told you about that I just lost was perfect! It was 174g and all I had to do was rip it flat and she stayed dead straight for 300 feet...really miss that disc and I still haven't found a replacement yet.

OK I'm confused by your Firebird comment...When you say that it's turning over on you within 100 feet, is that you throwing it on your forearm(or sidearm) or you throwing on your backhand and it turns over to the right???

If it's you throwing it on your forearm (or sidearm) and it starts to fly to the right within 100 feet then the disc is doing what it's designed to do and it's not turning over. It's perfect and it's doing exactly what I wanted it to do for ya.

But

If your throwing that 172g bran new Firebird on your backhand flat and straight and it's turning over on you and flying off to the RIGHT then holy f***! You have some serious power!

When I first started playing , I could easily throw a disc between 250- 300 feet....would they all go straight...lololo nope! I had the power but almost zero accuracy. It took about 2 years to refine my technique so I could get accuracy and the distance come with that.

Hello again!

No, I throw the firebird as forehand, isn't that how I'm supposed to use it? :)

And THEN it doesn't go straight far at all, turns right after only 100 feet. Any ideas of a good forearm disc that goes flatter and farther?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Hello again!

No, I throw the firebird as forehand, isn't that how I'm supposed to use it? :)

And THEN it doesn't go straight far at all, turns right after only 100 feet. Any ideas of a good forearm disc that goes flatter and farther?

I'd definitely try your new 168g TeeBird or the Valkyrie you got thrown on a forehand to see what they will do...heck, try all your drivers on the forehand and see how ya like em and see what they will do.

That's excellent to hear when you throw your Firebird on the forehand that it's going 100 feet then turning to the right as that's exactly what I was hoping it would do for you. Personally, I'd just keep practicing with it and get your technique down. As you get stronger throwing on the forehand your distance will come. I was just like you when I started and had a 172g Firebird that I could only throw 100 feet before it turned to the right...now I can rip that same disc 250 feet dead straight before turning to the right :)

Your new at this game bud and I think you have a great starting core of disc's between your Firebird, 168g TeeBird, 175g Roadrunner , Valkyrie and pair of Roc's

Just keep playing and practicing ...throw all your disc's on the backhand and forehand. Play with the angles of the disc when you throw them...just have fun and experiment.

I gotta say that I'm super bummed about the new 168g TeeBird that when you throw it on your backhand it immediately turns to the right and doesn't come back :( I thought for sure that weight would work well for ya.

Do you think you have a good idea of the weight of disc's you should be using now?

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I'd definitely try your new 168g TeeBird or the Valkyrie you got thrown on a forehand to see what they will do...heck, try all your drivers on the forehand and see how ya like em and see what they will do.

That's excellent to hear when you throw your Firebird on the forehand that it's going 100 feet then turning to the right as that's exactly what I was hoping it would do for you. Personally, I'd just keep practicing with it and get your technique down. As you get stronger throwing on the forehand your distance will come. I was just like you when I started and had a 172g Firebird that I could only throw 100 feet before it turned to the right...now I can rip that same disc 250 feet dead straight before turning to the right :)

Your new at this game bud and I think you have a great starting core of disc's between your Firebird, 168g TeeBird, 175g Roadrunner , Valkyrie and pair of Roc's

Just keep playing and practicing ...throw all your disc's on the backhand and forehand. Play with the angles of the disc when you throw them...just have fun and experiment.

I gotta say that I'm super bummed about the new 168g TeeBird that when you throw it on your backhand it immediately turns to the right and doesn't come back :( I thought for sure that weight would work well for ya.

Do you think you have a good idea of the weight of disc's you should be using now?

Sadly, the disc golf season pretty much over here in Sweden where I live. They have taken out several of the baskets on the local course, to prevent people from playing where they will lay down ski track, so we had to quit our last attempt.

I have a somewhat decent grasp of what discs to use and when, the biggest problem is my inconsistency. I can look like Paul McBeth for 3-4 holes (not really, but you know what I'm getting at, haha..), thenif I makea mistae I suddenly forget how to throw at all. It's like my muscle memory just dies. My mental game is probably not the best. ;)

And my putting is atrociously bad.

Out of the 6-7 guys who usually play together in different constellations, I usually get the best score, but I'm the worst putter out of us all.

It sounds weird, but for me it's almost easier to hit the basket from 75 feet, than from 20. Everything further out than like 8 feet (!) is a big struggle.

If I had better putting skills, I could easily go from my record of 68 (on a oar 62 course) to at least 58-60.

And also, the Shryke and Roadrunner I usually use as distance drivers, turn right if I put full force on the throws, and often don't have time to turn back left before they hit the ground or an object. Should I get a new more stable driver or somehow learn how to not turn them over?

It's crazy how I throw the furthest by far out of our group, with a maximum of perhaps 320 feet, which YOU threw just as you started out playing, haha..

Guess American disc golfers are better by default. ;)

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Sadly, the disc golf season pretty much over here in Sweden where I live. They have taken out several of the baskets on the local course, to prevent people from playing where they will lay down ski track, so we had to quit our last attempt.

I have a somewhat decent grasp of what discs to use and when, the biggest problem is my inconsistency. I can look like Paul McBeth for 3-4 holes (not really, but you know what I'm getting at, haha..), thenif I makea mistae I suddenly forget how to throw at all. It's like my muscle memory just dies. My mental game is probably not the best. ;)

And my putting is atrociously bad.

Out of the 6-7 guys who usually play together in different constellations, I usually get the best score, but I'm the worst putter out of us all.

It sounds weird, but for me it's almost easier to hit the basket from 75 feet, than from 20. Everything further out than like 8 feet (!) is a big struggle.

If I had better putting skills, I could easily go from my record of 68 (on a oar 62 course) to at least 58-60.

And also, the Shryke and Roadrunner I usually use as distance drivers, turn right if I put full force on the throws, and often don't have time to turn back left before they hit the ground or an object. Should I get a new more stable driver or somehow learn how to not turn them over?

It's crazy how I throw the furthest by far out of our group, with a maximum of perhaps 320 feet, which YOU threw just as you started out playing, haha..

Guess American disc golfers are better by default. ;)

I'm Canadian and live in Calgary, yep, my season is over as well...we have a foot of snow on the ground now and I'm just not hardcore enough to play in the winter. And yes, those American can throw a lot farther than most of us :thumbd:

Ohhhh! Your have a Shryke now...nice...how much does it weigh?

I understand that your roadrunner turns over to the right as it's designed to do that so its totally normal.

I'll give ya hint about putting....When you line up to the basket and spread your feet to where you putt normally and feel comfortable ... move your left foot either forward or backwards a few inches and putt normally. You'll notice that the disc will go a little more to the left or to the right depending on your left foot placement.

I'm right handed like you and when I started out, I would always miss my putts to the left. I started using this tip and moved my left foot forward a little bit...focused on a single chain in the middle of the basket and BOOM...started nailing all my putts within 30 feet.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Should I get a new more stable driver or somehow learn how to not turn them over?

Oops I didn't answer your question.

It's probably a little bit of both.

I know you're roadrunner is a max weight 175g and also has a -4 turn rating so ya...it's designed to turn to the right and not come back to the left.

Compaired to your Shryke which has a -2 turn rating...it is designed to turn to the right but definitely should fade back to the left for maximum distance. When the Shryke does not do this then it's usually caused by too much arm power and the disc is too light.

How much does your Shryke weigh?

If it's too light then you simply may need to purchase a heavier one.

If it is heavy like your roadrunner @ 175g and you're turning it over to the right then ya...you have some serious arm power and need to get a more stable disc with a turn rating of -1 or 0

Reactions: crossbownerf

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

Oops I didn't answer your question.

It's probably a little bit of both.

I know you're roadrunner is a max weight 175g and also has a -4 turn rating so ya...it's designed to turn to the right and not come back to the left.

Compaired to your Shryke which has a -2 turn rating...it is designed to turn to the right but definitely should fade back to the left for maximum distance. When the Shryke does not do this then it's usually caused by too much arm power and the disc is too light.

How much does your Shryke weigh?

If it's too light then you simply may need to purchase a heavier one.

If it is heavy like your roadrunner @ 175g and you're turning it over to the right then ya...you have some serious arm power and need to get a more stable disc with a turn rating of -1 or 0

Have been out 3 times so far this season and somehow my my putting has improved by not playing disc golf for 5 months?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Burton

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Haven't been out once yet. It's been a cold long winter here in Calgary and it's still not done yet :(

Another round this evening. We had amazing weather, not a cloud in the sky.

The par on the course is 62, my record is 68 - and tonight I managed a 70. Feels good to be that close to a personal record so soon in the the season.

My shryke and Roadrunner are turning too much right when I put some juice on them, so I'm looking at a new disc that can handle especially the slightly downhill holes where I get more speed.

Any ideas?

I bought McBeth's distance disc at the end of last season, but it instantly turns left no matter how hard I try to throw. How that small guy can get that much power is incredible.

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
Love disc golf! started in high school and played on and off through college sadly I just moved to Chicago where the sport seems to be non existent

Reactions: PatrikBerglund

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Love disc golf! started in high school and played on and off through college sadly I just moved to Chicago where the sport seems to be non existent

Sweet, someone revived his old thread.

But disc golf seems to be a bigger sport in the states, than here in Europe?

I only played twice since late July. I got so pissed during a round, where everything went to hell, that I lost all interest, haha..

Now it has come back, but it seems like everyone in our group (7-8 guys) stopped playibg when I didn't join in anymore, so now I have to get the other ones to start again...but now the winter is almost here..

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
I made a hole in one on a hole I couldn't see from the tee and the guy I was playing with didn't say "congrats".

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

I only played twice since late July. I got so pissed during a round, where everything went to hell, that I lost all interest, haha..

Now it has come back, but it seems like everyone in our group (7-8 guys) stopped playibg when I didn't join in anymore, so now I have to get the other ones to start again...but now the winter is almost here..

Lololo. Frustration can definitely be part of the game but at least you got the itch to get back out there.

I have only played about 20 times and surprisingly didn't enter a single tournament this summer as my schedule just didn't seem to mesh with the dates.

I also didn't play as much because my best disc golf buddy got a new job and moved to Winnipeg about 6 months ago.

It sucks to lose my disc golf partner but I'm very happy for him. He landed his dream job, bought a beautiful house, is closer to his family & old friends and then asked his long time GF to marry him and she said yes :thumbu:

I actually just got to see him about 2 weeks ago as he was out here for business so of course we skipped work and played....man I miss him :(

Did you pick up any new disc's this year?

I still haven't found a replacement for the Tee Bird I lost last year and it's getting frustrating. I've found a couple of them but just didn't like the feel of the plastic or they were the wrong weight....The search continues.

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
I made a hole in one on a hole I couldn't see from the tee and the guy I was playing with didn't say "congrats".
By official street rules in my book the other person owes you a drink and his finest putter lol.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Lololo. Frustration can definitely be part of the game but at least you got the itch to get back out there.

I have only played about 20 times and surprisingly didn't enter a single tournament this summer as my schedule just didn't seem to mesh with the dates.

I also didn't play as much because my best disc golf buddy got a new job and moved to Winnipeg about 6 months ago.

It sucks to lose my disc golf partner but I'm very happy for him. He landed his dream job, bought a beautiful house, is closer to his family & old friends and then asked his long time GF to marry him and she said yes :thumbu:

I actually just got to see him about 2 weeks ago as he was out here for business so of course we skipped work and played....man I miss him :(

Did you pick up any new disc's this year?

I still haven't found a replacement for the Tee Bird I lost last year and it's getting frustrating. I've found a couple of them but just didn't like the feel of the plastic or they were the wrong weight....The search continues.

I bought a tonne of new discs, even though I hardly even played, haha... The curse of disc golfers...

My last purchase was Criminal Lucid, Freedom Lucid Moonshine, 2 DDX S-Lines, Champion roc and a star tern.

Actually went to the local soccer pitch to try 3 of them out after work today.

The DDX flew like an angel, the tern also felt good, though a bit too understable.

The criminal turned over instantly and I didn't get more than 250 feet out of it.

You?

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018

Im originally from TN where the winters arent too bad, so we have several active courses year around. I mostly played with my brother and some friends, but even solo games were fun, definitely some cool people out there to talk to. Now im stuck in a city with a sad lonely bag of discs.

Reactions: PatrikBerglund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad