Speculation: Any chance Randy Carlyle is our coach next season?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I thought that both Chevy and Maurice in interviews have said that it was a condition of the job offer that they would revisit the discussion after the season.

Now that doesn't preclude them talking about it if they wanted, but I don't think it was ever in the plans to start discussions until the offseason.

Before the leafs game in the CBC interview Maurice also said it will not be his decision but his families decision. So if he has multiple offers it is going to be a family decision on where they go. Hope to hell he is back here next season.

I dont see anything wrong with Carlyle but I do see him butting heads with under performing elevated players and our weak ass goaltender.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
No thanks. Carlyle is good for keeping his teams pinned in the defensive zone, and that's about it.

adrenaline

Mar 8, 2011
I hope not.. He wasn't able to get anywhere with the "talent" that TO has.. so i'm not sure what he could bring to our team. Maurice seems to have been able to get alot more out our team then Noel did so why make a change? Just so we get randy back in the organization?

If this happens, i will lose alot of trust in the management of the team.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I will likely weep if TNSE hires Carlyle.

However...

Focusing on the one positive of TNSE hiring Carlyle...

Not a chance he plays Pavelec even if the message from higher up is to keep playing him because of his contract.

He openly criticizes Reimer for giving up THREE GOALS a game aka an average-good night for Pavelec.

Carlyle v Pavelec has the potential to be amazing.

If Pavelec is back, I'm fine with someone who'd come in, burn the whole thing down and point it out as it's happening.

Otherwise, I'll take the coach who recognizes this team's strength is its size and speed on the wings, and that a good transition game should fit naturally (Maurice).

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The Ducks slowly tanked there after and improved immediately upon his firing.
Then he went to the Leafs and they got worse by every measure but goaltending.

If he comes here, the team will be in the running for McDavid.

Not sure how tanking is making the playoffs the 3 of 4 years after the cup and barely missing it the one year.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

He went to the Leafs and got them to the playoffs. They hadn't made it in 7 years.

Facts use them ;)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not sure how tanking is making the playoffs the 3 of 4 years after the cup and barely missing it the one year.

He went to the Leafs and got them to the playoffs. They hadn't made it in 7 years.

Facts use them ;)

In fairness, last season was a bit odd with the lockout shortening it substantially.

What I have seen from the Leafs this year is terrible. They play without intensity and they are completely inept in their own zone. I also see a team that doesn't seem to have much esprit-de-corps.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Facts use them ;)

I did.

Ducks have been far better without him.

Leafs have been far worse outside of the blue paint.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Carlyle is awful. Old school coach in a new school world.

Really hoping we can get Maurice re-signed and not even have to acknowledge the possible nightmare of hiring Carlyle.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
The Leafs want to fire him because he's terrible at his job.

We need to re-sign Maurice at all costs.

And when I say all costs, I mean ALL OF THE COSTS.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I did.

Ducks have been far better without him.

Leafs have been far worse outside of the blue paint.

No not really. You stated opinion not fact. Facts are things that actually happened like the Ducks winning the cup with Carlyle and the Leafs making the playoffs with Carlyle. Something PoMo couldn't do.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
The Leafs want to fire him because he's terrible at his job.

We need to re-sign Maurice at all costs.

And when I say all costs, I mean ALL OF THE COSTS.

The leafs are just a terrible team that was exposed this season :laugh: I do not see their demise on Carlyle as they over achieved last season in making the playoffs imo. but someone has to be blamed.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
No not really. You stated opinion not fact. Facts are things that actually happened like the Ducks winning the cup with Carlyle and the Leafs making the playoffs with Carlyle. Something PoMo couldn't do.

Fact: After winning the cup (and any coach could have coached a team that stacked to the cup) the Ducks underachieved and immediately improved upon firing Carlyle.

Fact: The Leafs have been TERRIBLE with Carlyle except for goaltending, and made the playoffs ina shortened season. They would have made the playoffs this year too after 48 games, but as usual they choked.

Carlyle has no defensive system. In Anaheim they had great defenceman, and when they left Carlyle was ****ed.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
The leafs are just a terrible team that was exposed this season :laugh: I do not see their demise on Carlyle as they over achieved last season in making the playoffs imo. but someone has to be blamed.

Carlyle has as much responsibility for that epic collapse as any other member of the Leafs roster. And look at the role he played in getting Grabovski bought out. Puts a player in a position to fail and then ***** on him when he shockingly doesn't put up points.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

giphy.gif

May the "just winz" arguments in sports forever continue.

kasps

Oct 14, 2013
I think the more important question is "why haven't they already re-signed Maurice"?

Guess you missed him responding 20 times to the that question ? He will be discussing it with his family when the season is over.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Carlyle has as much responsibility for that epic collapse as any other member of the Leafs roster. And look at the role he played in getting Grabovski bought out. Puts a player in a position to fail and then ***** on him when he shockingly doesn't put up points.

http://deadspin.com/the-maple-leafs-collapse-is-a-victory-for-rationality-1559848856

great article. Their GM made some bad moves and they do not have the right coaching personal/system for the type/quality of player their franchise has. I agree that everyone is to blame in their current mess but I also never believed they were a playoff contending team....

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg

Fact.

The leafs have had a nearly unmatched ability to get horribly outshot almost every game for the last 2 years under Carlyle.

He had two goalies to bail him out in Toronto. He doesn't even have one of them here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad