Speculation: Any chance Randy Carlyle is our coach next season?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Okay, so apparently there is a lot of speculation out of Toronto that Carlyle is going to be the fall guy if the Leafs fail to make the playoffs.

And out here in Winnipeg Paul Maurice is only signed till the end of the year.

Now it seems as if the fanbase has taken to Maurice pretty well, but the ties between Carlyle and TNSE (and Jets 1.0 as well) are pretty deep and don't need to be repeated here.

Anyone think it'll happen? Any notion how much a decision like this is decided by Chipman / Zinger, as opposed to Chevy (who has no connection to Carlyle that I'm aware of)?

Maurice probably has the edge in terms of total coaching experience, but for whatever it's worth Carlyle is the one with a championship. So I'm not saying the Jets should hire Carlyle, but wondering if they will anyways.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Is there a chance it could happen? Probably - I don't doubt that Carlyle gets the boot at the end of the year, as Nonis attempts to use one of his get out of jail free cards.

Do I personally want it to happen? No, not a chance. I don't want Carlyle as a coach in Winnipeg. At all.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
abe_simpson.gif

ythelastman82

Apr 5, 2014
I will likely weep if TNSE hires Carlyle.

However...

Focusing on the one positive of TNSE hiring Carlyle...

Not a chance he plays Pavelec even if the message from higher up is to keep playing him because of his contract.

He openly criticizes Reimer for giving up THREE GOALS a game aka an average-good night for Pavelec.

Carlyle v Pavelec has the potential to be amazing.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I will likely weep if TNSE hires Carlyle.

However...

Focusing on the one positive of TNSE hiring Carlyle...

Not a chance he plays Pavelec even if the message from higher up is to keep playing him because of his contract.

He openly criticizes Reimer for giving up THREE GOALS a game aka an average-good night for Pavelec.

Carlyle v Pavelec has the potential to be amazing.

That would be interesting.

So would Carlyle as head coach with the Jets acquiring Reimer. :laugh:

On a serious note, I still feel very strongly Maurice isn't going anywhere.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
Why so much negativity for Carlyle?

I still remember him fondly from his playing days...

CarlyleJets3.jpg

I follow the leafs more closely than i like to admit, and Carlyle is NOT a players coach. He alienates certain teamates and has is own asskissig clicques. No to Carlyle. This team deserves a good hc.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I feel Carlyle's status as a coach is inflated by that Ducks team that won the cup. I look at the Leafs, and I think to myself, "God, I don't want that man anywhere near the bench of the Jets."

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Would love to see Carlye here. He took over a young team in the Ducks and won a Stanley cup with them. I think his style of play would suit our personal very well.

People hate on him because he coaches the Leafs but fail to remember he got the Leafs to the playoffs for the first time in 7 years

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I found it odd from the beginning, the short Maurice contract. And I understand the Family Decision thing, but only to a certain extent. There are only 30 places where you can be an NHL head coach, so you can't be too selective. I have the feeling that he won't be back, opening the door for Carlyle.

The other thing that came to mind was Maurice trying to create some negotiating leverage by invoking the 'Family'. It seems so far fetched, but it did jump into my mind I have to admit.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Would love to see Carlye here. He took over a young team in the Ducks and won a Stanley cup with them. I think his style of play would suit our personal very well.

People hate on him because he coaches the Leafs but fail to remember he got the Leafs to the playoffs for the first time in 7 years

The Ducks slowly tanked there after and improved immediately upon his firing.
Then he went to the Leafs and they got worse by every measure but goaltending.

If he comes here, the team will be in the running for McDavid.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think the more important question is "why haven't they already re-signed Maurice"?

I thought that both Chevy and Maurice in interviews have said that it was a condition of the job offer that they would revisit the discussion after the season.

Now that doesn't preclude them talking about it if they wanted, but I don't think it was ever in the plans to start discussions until the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad