Any Chance Kopitar Wins the Hart?

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I think the Kings season has a lot less to do with Quick than you think. This is a team that plays an excellent defensive game. This is more about the system than Quick. As for Kopitar winning the hart. I think he has been the best player in the NHL so far. He is not only scoring but also shutting down other teams top scorers. Hands down the best 2way player right now. I doubt he will win the award because he isn't as flashy as some other players. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the selke instead.
0UPQHzl.gif

System goalie alert! System goalie alert!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We’re not even 50% of the way through the season, so this is just wild speculation. But at the moment, there’s a legitimate case for Kopitar to win the Hart and Selke, Doughty to win the Norris, and Quick to win the Vezina.

So the Kings will probably have a horrible second half and miss the playoffs.

This is the right answer :laugh:

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
They used a nobody goalie in Peter Budaj and his numbers were excellent. Better than Quick numbers. The team didn't miss the playoffs because of goaltending or defense. They couldn't score. Your argument doesn't hold water. Unless Quick was scoring for them too.

Oh please. Another one that only looks at statistics. Budaj, while he did help us, gave up some ridiculous goals that likely cost us atleast 10 points in the standings. This is the first time in a good while where all three franchise players in their respective positions are playing up to standards....and look! They're 1st in the pacific to show for it!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He's third in scoring and has a +16 rating in 31 games so far. His team is leading the Pacific division and has won eight straight games.

Kopitar has never finished in the top ten for points. Could 2017-2018 be the best season of his career?
Remember this is the guy Gretzky called the third best player in hockey just like two or three years ago. He cooled down but is back now. I think its totally a possibility infact maybe even a strong possibility he will be challenging for the Hart and the Art Ross. Hes elevated his game again this season which the true elite generational stars seem to do. Good thread cause he deserves the recognition OP

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Quick has been really good this year and a part of the reason for this success . But this is Kopitar obviously carrying the team. If there's one person to single out for the Kings success I think it's easily Kopitar.

You need goals and points to win a game.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
We’re not even 50% of the way through the season, so this is just wild speculation. But at the moment, there’s a legitimate case for Kopitar to win the Hart and Selke, Doughty to win the Norris, and Quick to win the Vezina.

So the Kings will probably have a horrible second half and miss the playoffs.

Right now, Kopitar will win 2nd place in the Selke conversation. Bergeron is still the king and is having one of his most dominant seasons defensively.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Right now, Kopitar will win 2nd place in the Selke conversation. Bergeron is still the king and is having one of his most dominant seasons defensively.

Is Kopitar sleeping defensively?

Kopitar is easily ahead of Bergeron.

We're winning a ton because of Kopitar, and he's playing a ton without Carter.

Bergeron can kick rocks right now lol

Reactions: Kylo Ren

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They used a nobody goalie in Peter Budaj and his numbers were excellent. Better than Quick numbers. The team didn't miss the playoffs because of goaltending or defense. They couldn't score. Your argument doesn't hold water. Unless Quick was scoring for them too.

Teams often play differently in front of different goalies, and when you try to insulate a mediocre backup, you're going to limit yourself offensively

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Yea, but this is the Selke. When a great defensive player is putting up big numbers, the narrative becomes about what a great season he's having, including his defense, even if it's not any different than usual.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You have no idea what you’re talking about.
Yes I do. More than you will ever know. His backup has some outstanding numbers playing for the Kings. Better numbers than Quick. Will you guys listen. I never said Quick was a bad goalie but he doesn't carry this team.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Teams often play differently in front of different goalies, and when you try to insulate a mediocre backup, you're going to limit yourself offensively
Give it a rest. This team play defence first no matter who is in net. Come its a team coached by Sutter. You guys will come up with any story in defending Quick. I guarantee half the goalies in the league would put up great numbers on that team.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Yes I do. More than you will ever know. His backup has some outstanding numbers playing for the Kings. Better numbers than Quick. Will you guys listen. I never said Quick was a bad goalie but he doesn't carry this team.

Have you done anything to investigate your claim? Have you considered that the Kings have changed their system under Stevens and aren't playing the way they were when Budaj was in net last year? Have you researched the quality of shots he's facing this year? Have you accounted for the fact that the Kings aren't controlling play like they have in the past due to the tweaks in the system?

Because if you haven't done any of the above, then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Reactions: LA_Viking

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Is Kopitar sleeping defensively?

Kopitar is easily ahead of Bergeron.

We're winning a ton because of Kopitar, and he's playing a ton without Carter.

Bergeron can kick rocks right now lol

Nope. Bergeron dominated him head to head this year as well.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He isn't the difference maker on this team. I'm not saying he is a terrible goalie. But this us Kopitars team.

But he is a difference maker.. why wouldn't a top 10 goalie be a difference maker ?

Last year they spent all their energy on sheltering Budaj, trying to score goals at the same time is a tough task. Quick lets the team relax and play a more balanced game.

Kopitar is a huge part of the team obviously, but so are all the top guys. Quick in goal, Doughty on the back end and Kopitar up front all make a difference. Kings have great players in key positions and when all going, they're a good team. But as soon as one of them is underperforming it shows big time. For example their tough stretch a while back it seemed like everyone took a step back and they kept losing games.

I don't look at the Kings and think that it's someone's team. Not like the Oilers and McDavid for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad