Any and all questions about playing junior hockey

kij

Jan 31, 2016
To add to the NAHL-USHL discussion, the NAHL has a tendency to lean older, especially 20 year olds with USHL experience that were not valuable enough to count to the 4 man age out cap in the USHL. However, many USHL players begin their college careers earlier than 20, whereas NAHL players typically age out before college. That extra year of development and strength training, yet those NAHL grads still have careers that typically do not compare to that of their younger USHL peers.

Now as for the USHL players going D3 or even ACHA instead of D1 or straight pro, well that is most commonly from (1) losing their passion for the game and dedication it takes or (2) poor grades and test scores.

For the most telling eye test, just click through some USHL rosters and see where most players come from. Sure a few work their way up from the NAHL but not many.

Reactions: JMCx4

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
Question for those of you experienced in the Jr hockey world...for those players that are currently part of 40 man USHL camps or 30 man NA camps who will ultimately be cut before getting down to the 23 man rosters (or whatever # they are allowed this year), do the teams/coaches help/guide the player to another opportunity in any way?

By another opportunity I mean a Tier 2 league for the USHL cuts or a lower level Tier 2 league for the NA cuts (e.g. NCDC, one of the Canadian leagues). I assume that if this does happen it may be on a case by case basis and dependent on the player's ability and the coach/organization. What I'm asking is it generally a scenario of:

A) Are you crazy, these teams/coaches don't have time to do stuff like that, every man for themselves and if you don't already have a back-up plan you are SOL
B) Many/most teams will help in some fashion to identify another opportunity for a player in a lower level league
C) Completely dependent on the coach/organization, some help, some don't

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Question for those of you experienced in the Jr hockey world...for those players that are currently part of 40 man USHL camps or 30 man NA camps who will ultimately be cut before getting down to the 23 man rosters (or whatever # they are allowed this year), do the teams/coaches help/guide the player to another opportunity in any way?

By another opportunity I mean a Tier 2 league for the USHL cuts or a lower level Tier 2 league for the NA cuts (e.g. NCDC, one of the Canadian leagues). I assume that if this does happen it may be on a case by case basis and dependent on the player's ability and the coach/organization. What I'm asking is it generally a scenario of:

A) Are you crazy, these teams/coaches don't have time to do stuff like that, every man for themselves and if you don't already have a back-up plan you are SOL
B) Many/most teams will help in some fashion to identify another opportunity for a player in a lower level league
C) Completely dependent on the coach/organization, some help, some don't

Either B or C depending on your age.
If you are a NAHL cut, they will generally filter you to their NA3HL affiliate if they have one.
If you are a USHL cut, generally they have enough contacts they can find you a spot in Canadian Jr. A. If you are of midget or prep school age, they will generally try to slot you in back there.

Reactions: PipeDream

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
Either B or C depending on your age.
If you are a NAHL cut, they will generally filter you to their NA3HL affiliate if they have one.
If you are a USHL cut, generally they have enough contacts they can find you a spot in Canadian Jr. A. If you are of midget or prep school age, they will generally try to slot you in back there.
Thank you

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
USHL cuts have the choice between the NAHL and BCHL as their next top picks. If they want to be closer to the Northeast colleges, they go the USPHL NCDC route. If they are Canadian they have the choice between any one of a dozen fantastic programs between mostly the AJHL but the SJHL, OJHL, and CCHL.

A little bit of a blast from the past here, but which organizations in the 3 leagues mentioned above would you rate as "fantastic"? Thanks

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
A little bit of a blast from the past here, but which organizations in the 3 leagues mentioned above would you rate as "fantastic"? Thanks

SJHL is less cyclical than the others, but based on historic performance...

SJHL:
Estevan
Humboldt
Flin Flon
Melfort

OJHL and CCHL are far too cyclical. Maybe Ottawa Jr. Senators, Wellington Dukes, and Cobourg Cougars if you're looking at consistency. But the churn is far to frequent, usually goes in 3-5 seasons and can get turned upside the head.

Reactions: PipeDream

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
Are NAHL draft picks who are not on the protected list today (September 1st) immediately free agents or does the team that drafted them still retain rights for some period of time? Asking mainly from the standpoint of NA draft picks who were taken with the thought of dropping down from USHL.

Really I'm asking general roster rules which don't seem to be captured at this level of detail anywhere that I can find.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Are NAHL draft picks who are not on the protected list today (September 1st) immediately free agents or does the team that drafted them still retain rights for some period of time? Asking mainly from the standpoint of NA draft picks who were taken with the thought of dropping down from USHL.

Really I'm asking general roster rules which don't seem to be captured at this level of detail anywhere that I can find.

Roster rules are generally players who have a signed contract for the upcoming season.

Draft picks aren't there and tenders aren't on there because that would instantly double the list and half those guys are probably never going to put on a game uniform during the regular season.

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
Roster rules are generally players who have a signed contract for the upcoming season.

Draft picks aren't there and tenders aren't on there because that would instantly double the list and half those guys are probably never going to put on a game uniform during the regular season.
Thanks, but let me try to ask this another way with an example.

I am a 20 year old player, played for Fargo the past 2 years. Odessa drafted me in NA this year. I am still with Fargo, but not sure if I will make final roster. If Odessa has not put me on their protected list at this point, do they still retain my rights? If they do still retain my rights, how long does that last (e.g. forever, until October 1st, until some other date)?

Basically I'm saying I'm drafted by Odessa, but would prefer to play for another NA team if I drop down from Fargo.

This is just an example, nothing against either Fargo or Odessa, used for illustration purposes only.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Thanks, but let me try to ask this another way with an example.

I am a 20 year old player, played for Fargo the past 2 years. Odessa drafted me in NA this year. I am still with Fargo, but not sure if I will make final roster. If Odessa has not put me on their protected list at this point, do they still retain my rights? If they do still retain my rights, how long does that last (e.g. forever, until October 1st, until some other date)?

Basically I'm saying I'm drafted by Odessa, but would prefer to play for another NA team if I drop down from Fargo.

This is just an example, nothing against either Fargo or Odessa, used for illustration purposes only.

Draft right expirations are in that contract and are somewhere on the NAHL rules site. They usually expire after 2-3 years at the end of season. If you were to play in the NAHL, it would have to be for Odessa by this point. Odessa could give you permission to talk to other teams and trade your rights, which is known to happen in the NAHL. But they are under no obligation to do so.

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
Draft right expirations are in that contract and are somewhere on the NAHL rules site. They usually expire after 2-3 years at the end of season. If you were to play in the NAHL, it would have to be for Odessa by this point. Odessa could give you permission to talk to other teams and trade your rights, which is known to happen in the NAHL. But they are under no obligation to do so.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
There are teams that still have 30+ players in the locker room today, so the roster dates are largely meaningless. I personally think that's unfortunate for the players in those situations, but to each their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad